Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times

Advertisements

White House to halt deportation of young illegal immigrants

White House to halt deportation of young illegal immigrants | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

Old 06-15-2012, 12:02 PM

40 posts, read 33,027 times
poor rubio

Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,885 times
Good. It's about time. Deporting these people who have done no wrong is nothing short of barbaric.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
I think that is great as well!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:27 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
I'm of mixed opinion. This is the right and humane thing to do, but I'm not sure if it is what is best for the country. An American GED is pretty much worthless in the global economy, so the benefit of this labor pool to the USA is probably small-to-nil. If the majority of these immigrant children go on to college or to be productively employed--and they probably will--then I suppose it's better than the cost and effort to deport them.

Still, I would've liked to see stricter requirements; a minimum GPA at least, acceptance to college or the permit being predicated on the ability to hold down a job which allows them to remain above the poverty line. Making enough money to pay $XXXX in taxes each year. Something like that. Maybe it could be folded into the final DREAM legislation.

Of course, better legislation would be anything which encourages highly-educated immigrants (like raising the H1b cap, or automatic green cards for college grads in a technical field with a minimum 3.5 gpa) so we can brain-drain our competitors. But that's a slightly different subject.

I predict this will be very bad for Obama. Public opinion among conservatives, independents, and even some democrats runs strongly against illegal immigrants and he won't make up for losses among independents with an increased Hispanic voter turnout. He continues to govern like he will only be a 1-term president, doing what he believes is right for America, even during campaign season. I respect and admire that, but I doubt the general public will.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:05 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
The rule of law is more important than granting work visas to people that are here illegally. One of the biggest attractions to the rest of the world is the USA's reputation for respect of the rule of law. Obama is just using these illegals to gain a few votes and it's disgusting.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The rule of law is more important than granting work visas to people that are here illegally. One of the biggest attractions to the rest of the world is the USA's reputation for respect of the rule of law. Obama is just using these illegals to gain a few votes and it's disgusting.
You think a child or young adult who may have been born in the USA or spent most of his life here should be deported because his parents were illegal immigrants? Sounds a bit harsh to me.
Good thing the Indians way back when didnt get into this rule of law stuff, if they had i wonder how many American residents today would qualify for deportation..
And as said before its illegal for any non American citizen to vote so i dont think the President had buying the votes of illegals in mind when he passed the legislation..

Quote:
The Right to Vote

One of the most important privileges of democracy in the United States of America is the right to participate in choosing elected officials through voting in elections. There are many different types of elections in the United States, such as federal elections, state elections or local elections. Only U.S. citizens can vote in federal elections. Registering to vote or voting in a federal election is a crime if you are not a U.S. citizen. Non-U.S. citizens, including permanent residents (green card holders), who vote, or register to vote, in a federal election also can be denied naturalization and/or removed (deported) from the United States.
There are very few jurisdictions where a non-U.S. citizen may vote in a local election. However, this web site does not provide information regarding voting qualifications for state and local elections. You can obtain information regarding voting qualifications in local elections from your local voting authority. It is important to remember that even if you are allowed to vote in a local election, you are not eligible to vote in a federal election if you are not a U.S. citizen, nor in any other election that requires you to be a U.S. citizen..

Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
And after the two years of the work permit are up?

Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 AM

370 posts, read 1,564,762 times
I'm just curious if there are other benefits to this "legal" status. Will this allow them to qualify for "in-state" tuition benefits? how about free medical care? food stamps?. It doesn't seem that this is much different from the granting of regular (TEMPORARY) student visas for foreign students (except they have to actually "qualify") and I would presume the associated fees would be substantially less. I have heard that applying will not implicate the rest of your family but, what if the rest of your family is "caught"? While I understand we have an immigration policy (although we seem to have some difficulty enforcing it); eventually these issues will need to be addressed and this certainly brought the debate to the surface! I doubt that Mexico or El Salvador would look favorably on me extending my stay in their country illegally?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Good. It's about time. Deporting these people who have done no wrong is nothing short of barbaric.
Their very presence in the country is illegal, whether they come from Mexico, Guatemala, India, Ireland, or Sweden. They have violated our immigration laws and so they should be shown the border. The very fact that Obama is not enforcing the law is unconstitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration