U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:42 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,432,933 times

Advertisements

This forum sadly seems dedicated to the negative sides of immigration, but there are positives as well, as in any other country in the world.
And since there are people who read on this forum who are offended by the negative attitude, I believe it would be good if we could bring up the good things with immigration to somehow give a more fair view of the subject.

For example:
What is good with immigration? In general?
What can it do/make possible?
What wouldn't you want to be without that has been made possible by immigration?
What positive impacts has immigrants had on your life?
What positive impacts has immigration had on the job market? In the kitchen?
etc.

The only intention with this thread is to point out the good things with immigration, so please, if you have ANYTHING negative to say about it, do so in another thread. And this, so it won't offend anyone, is not about illegal immigration.
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 05:06 PM

21,146 posts, read 38,821,412 times
OK:

Hard to quantify; but legal immigration tends to 'enrich' an area-------especially those with birthrates below 2.1 children per woman which is replacement level for population stability.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:23 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,036,355 times
Positive aspects:

1) Population growth/stabilization in an otherwise declining population.
2) The filling of jobs that Americans won't do (when proven that there are no Americans to do the job).
3) The attraction of the "best and brightest" to the country, instead of just the most poverty stricken.
4) People motivated to move based on CHOICE and not NECESSITY, which is key to assimilation (coming here legally implies time spent researching and choosing and putting effort into which country you will immigrate to).

Oh yeah, and immigration has had a positive impact on me because my father is an immigrant (came over when he was 13). So his marriage to my American mother is the only reason why I'm here.

On a side note though, a funny thing is that back when he came in the late 60s, the new immigrants in his city spent a year learning English before entering "regular" classes. He now never has to press any number to speak to customer service on a phone (not that they accommodate HIS native language anyway). However, because our last name is Iberian, he still gets Spanish telemarketers, which annoys him to no end!

Old 10-07-2007, 06:23 PM

8,973 posts, read 15,421,082 times
A nation which encourages LEGAL IMMIGRATION demonstrates to the world the value of its society and culture, by the fact that people are attracted to the idea of coming. It puts the "host" country on the "moral high ground", and shows a humanitarian quality that is not shared by some other nations. The fact that a country is attractive to immigrants is testimony to the fact that it is "doing something right". It is a shining example that the host nation is practicing the good ideas that it preaches.

Illegal immigration, on the other hand, is a "slap in the face" for all legal immigrants. To some degree, at least, it makes a mockery out of the immigration process. But the OP asked that we not comment on this, so I'll say no more.....

Old 10-07-2007, 06:40 PM

6,764 posts, read 20,584,568 times
The positive--I wouldn't have my husband if it wasn't for legal immigration!

Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 PM

21,146 posts, read 38,821,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
P

Oh yeah, and immigration has had a positive impact on me because my father is an immigrant (came over when he was 13). So his marriage to my American mother is the only reason why I'm here.
My father was too an immigrant from Hungary; did the 'sponsor' thing and arrived here in 1951------legally

Quote:
On a side note though, a funny thing is that back when he came in the late 60s, the new immigrants in his city spent a year learning English before entering "regular" classes. He now never has to press any number to speak to customer service on a phone (not that they accommodate HIS native language anyway). However, because our last name is Iberian, he still gets Spanish telemarketers, which annoys him to no end!
I can relate up to a point: despite my looking like a Scandinavian; which probably saved me from much badgering, my birth surname (Hungarian) sounded Hispanic. Suffice to say; said name did not fit my appearance at all.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:15 PM

20,301 posts, read 20,394,884 times
Legal immigration has the effect of bringing in fresh idea's, new blood, new drive. It helps to prevent us from becoming stagnant. Legal immigration allows us to pick and choose who is truely worthy of the gift of US citizenship.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,264,937 times
We've had so much unchecked immigration into the US, both legal and illegal, at this point I can't really see any positive in it at all. Immigrants shouldn't be allowed in a nation just because the nation can do something for them like impove the immigrants quality of life. Immigrants should only be allowed in if they can do something for the country they want to immigrate to. The immigration laws of the United States currently emphasize family ties, which has resulted in tens and tens of millions of needy people pouring across our border, and fewer contributers.

I would say that well educated contributing immigrants, like doctors for example, would be a very positive thing. But even the educated immigrants shouldn't be here if they are taking jobs Americans want and need. Like computer or IT guys.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:00 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,686,182 times
Not All Immigration Is Bad

That Is Why We Have Immigration Quotas. We Allow Only The Amount We Need

Too Much Is A Very Bad Thing. That Is What Illegals Are

It Is The Same As Overdosing On Medication. Medication Has Lots Of Positives But Too Much Is Still Bad

I Do Not Understand Why People Cannot Understand The Problem With Illegals, And Are Always Trying To Make Excuses

Old 10-07-2007, 09:04 PM

61,305 posts, read 79,686,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
This forum sadly seems dedicated to the negative sides of immigration, but there are positives as well, as in any other country in the world.
And since there are people who read on this forum who are offended by the negative attitude, I believe it would be good if we could bring up the good things with immigration to somehow give a more fair view of the subject.

For example:
What is good with immigration? In general?
What can it do/make possible?
What wouldn't you want to be without that has been made possible by immigration?
What positive impacts has immigrants had on your life?
What positive impacts has immigration had on the job market? In the kitchen?
etc.

The only intention with this thread is to point out the good things with immigration, so please, if you have ANYTHING negative to say about it, do so in another thread. And this, so it won't offend anyone, is not about illegal immigration.
Thanks!
no brainer.
a trend positive demographic changes. the new residents of low income urban areas for the most part want to work. they are replacing the people that were there before and did not want to work.
130000 of new orleans not so finest are out of new orleans.
stephen s
san diego ca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration