Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,182 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have owned and ran our restaurant for the past 12 years and are now considering a move to CA. Is it possible to get sponsored into a business with a view to buying the business outright? It suits us to buy an existing proven business where the owner might be considering retiring. We figure it would be a more secure option when immigrating to the USA with children. Any information would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Why CA specifically?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellxgirl View Post
My husband and I have owned and ran our restaurant for the past 12 years and are now considering a move to CA. Is it possible to get sponsored into a business with a view to buying the business outright? It suits us to buy an existing proven business where the owner might be considering retiring. We figure it would be a more secure option when immigrating to the USA with children. Any information would be most appreciated.
I can't give you any answers about your business options but I can tell you that unless you or your husband is already a US citizen or green card holder or you win the green card lottery immigrating here for your family will be next to impossible. In order to move here and work the whole family would have to get "green cards", i.e. legal permanent residency. There are three basic ways to get a green card; through family, work or investment (there are other ways for certain groups of people too, such as Iraqis who have helped the US government, but none of these are likely to apply to you). To get an investment green card you have to be able to invest a million dollars in an American business and create/preserve ten full time jobs. If the area you are investing in has high unemployment you can qualify with a $500,000 investment. There are only 10,000 of these green cards available per year so there may be a waiting list. Since you are restaurant owners I assume that you don't have that kind of money.
To get a green card through family you would have to have a close relative, such as a parent, child or spouse, who is a US citizen or, in some cases, green card holders and are willing to sponsor you.
To get a work based green card you or your husband would have to find qualified employment with an employer who is willing to sponsor you for a green card. Most employers would only put in the time and money required to sponsor an employee if the employee has some very special skills that are not easily found in their area.
Unless you and your family meet the above requirements there is no way for you to move to the US unless you win a green card through the green card lottery.

There are a number of temporary non-immigrant visas but with the circumstances you describe above I don't believe that any of them would get you what you want even if you did qualify.

Unfortunately your dream to move to California may not be possible.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
Do you know anyone in CA that owns a restaurant or Irish Pub who would be willing to sponser you?

Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Visa Category E2 is what you are looking at. Here is the link to one of the two official sites. Visas for Treaty Traders and Treaty Investors
The caveat - regular renewals based on compliance with requirements such as employment of US citizens, profits, ... Children are not covered after 18.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:55 PM

326 posts, read 1,371,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Children are not covered after 18.
21 if they attend college. F1 visa will let them finish education once they lose their E2 dependant visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration