U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 AM

108 posts, read 144,222 times

Advertisements

So I was born in the UK to a US citizen mother and a British citizen father (married) in 1991.

From my understanding the requirement is that my mother had to be present in the US for 5 years before my birth, with at least 2 of those 5 years after she turned 14, which all checks out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,161,375 times
You can most likely claim citizenship but there are certain steps you have to take before you'd be able to get a US passport and live in the US. It would have been best if your mother would have established your citizenship before you turned 18 as it's easier. It's not impossible to do it now though. You have to contact a local US embassy or consulate and apply for a certificate of citizenship. The consulate will tell you what documents you need.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:41 PM

108 posts, read 144,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
You can most likely claim citizenship but there are certain steps you have to take before you'd be able to get a US passport and live in the US. It would have been best if your mother would have established your citizenship before you turned 18 as it's easier. It's not impossible to do it now though. You have to contact a local US embassy or consulate and apply for a certificate of citizenship. The consulate will tell you what documents you need.
Hi Lizita,

My mother did inform the US embassy in London at the time of my birth, and they sent some information back to her with some forms which she didn't actually fill out

I was told to go ahead and apply for a passport/ certificate of citizenship; however I don't have a social security number (at least not to my awareness) so I decided to make an appointment with the embassy next month and my mother is coming with her old passports/ marriage certificates etc. etc... Everything on the checklist...

Old 05-12-2013, 02:50 PM

159 posts, read 76,330 times
DRBXGOLD, I just went through this last year with my daughter. She was born in Ireland, and she's not 18 yet: her dad is Irish but I'm a US citizen. I didn't know about filling out forms through the embassy at birth either... I guess we'd been there so long by then, I just didn't think about it. Ah well.

Then we moved back to the US, my daughter needed a Social Security Number for our health care. Uh oh, the Social Security Administration wanted proof of citizenship before they'd give her one. The Certificate of Citizenship (N600?) from Immigration however, costs hundreds of dollars. Pfffft. No way.

So I applied for a passport for her, which is only (ONLY!!) about $120 all in.

What an adventure -- besides the fees, birth certificates, marriage certificate, etc., I also had to prove/document my presence in the US since I was 14. Well, I filled in the residency form they included, listing everywhere I'd lived, and then I signed it, and notarized it.

I got a letter back saying that the form wasn't enough -- that they wanted documentation of every single address I lived in, in and out of the US, from the age of 14 until the birth of my youngest daughter almost 30 years later. I called to ask what they'd accept. Some idiot at the State Department told me to "just send some old utility bills with your name on it, from each address" as if I keep utility bills for 30-some years! (should I? OMG) And anyway, what 14-year-old has bills with their name on it, in the age before cell phones. Sooo....

Documents I submitted included my US High School Diploma AND high school transcript, notarized letters from former employers (who were pretty bewildered when I called), my US college transcripts, the US birth certificates of the older kids, and anything I could think of. I put my friends on alert that I might have to ask them for notarized letters and/or photos, and then for good measure I threw in my Dad's US Army record from WWII.

We eventually got the passport okay.

Just tell your Mom to bring EVERYTHING she could possibly have! And maybe she can arrange to have some "missing links" already gotten before your appointment, to make things easier, or at least faster.

You're always welcome to DM me anytime too, and good luck!!

Old 05-12-2013, 02:55 PM

159 posts, read 76,330 times
I'm sorry D, to actually answer your question in the title of the thread,

YES, ABSOLUTELY, according to what INS and the State Department explained to our family, you are considered a US citizen. Just, strangely, an undocumented one, as my daughter was -- and the documentation is everything when applying for work or school or residence, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration