Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:00 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,513 times

Advertisements

This is out of curiosity.

I know of people who have been in the U.S. legally for over 10 years bouncing from visa to visa or from school to school or job to job, but they have never been eligible for a green card. I wonder if there have been people who have managed to stay legally in the U.S. for decades without ever finding a company or U.S. citizen spouse who can let them immigrate permanently. These kind of people want to stay in the U.S. and are always juggling the possibility of having to return to a home country where they don't know anyone anymore.

Perhaps diplomats' children face this dilemma? But I'm sure there are regular people as well, who came here with their parents and went to high school here, then they got an F-1 visa to go to college and then grad school, and then an H1-B visa to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 07:14 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Many foreign business owners are in the position you describe. Legally here on E2 visa and not eligible for a green card....horrible stories!

And than to think they will give a green card to people who broke the law and are illegally here while these honest business owners provide jobs and don't have a path to citizenship!

Too weird for words!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:03 AM

983 posts, read 1,633,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
many foreign business owners are in the position you describe. Legally here on e2 visa and not eligible for a green card....horrible stories!

And than to think they will give a green card to people who broke the law and are illegally here while these honest business owners provide jobs and don't have a path to citizenship!

Too weird for words!
eb-5.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
I do not understand your question. H1B can lead to Green Card.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 AM

952 posts, read 2,633,152 times
I've just never understood why those on green cards, stay on green cards, and just keep renewing it..... and never go for citizenship??

Old 06-14-2013, 08:07 AM

442 posts, read 800,212 times
^No loyalty to the US.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
This is out of curiosity.

I know of people who have been in the U.S. legally for over 10 years bouncing from visa to visa or from school to school or job to job, but they have never been eligible for a green card. I wonder if there have been people who have managed to stay legally in the U.S. for decades without ever finding a company or U.S. citizen spouse who can let them immigrate permanently. These kind of people want to stay in the U.S. and are always juggling the possibility of having to return to a home country where they don't know anyone anymore.

Perhaps diplomats' children face this dilemma? But I'm sure there are regular people as well, who came here with their parents and went to high school here, then they got an F-1 visa to go to college and then grad school, and then an H1-B visa to work.
Are you asking specifically about people who aren't eligible for GC but stay here, or do you mean the people who have to wait 10 yrs on H1-b for a Green card because of the backlog?
For India the wait time for E-B3 Green card is 10 years FROM approval of the GC petition, which can take a year plus, and they will already have been here maybe a year on the H1-b before the company apply for the Green card.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
^No loyalty to the US.
No desire to be forced to pay US taxes even if they go and retire to the North Pole.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 AM

442 posts, read 800,212 times
Bitter much?

Old 06-14-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
Bitter much?
No, mere speculation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration