Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have experience of immigration the other way around?

I am a British (and American) citizen. My husband of 7.5 years is an American citizen and we have lived in the US since our marriage.

I have been looking on the British immigration website and from what I can tell he should be eligible for British residency because we have been married more than 4 years.

However the only forms I can find assume that I am currently resident in the UK and he is joining me, not that we would both like to return to the UK.

Have any other British citizens lived in the US and then returned to the UK with their American husband? If so, how did you do it?

It says you need proof of sufficient funds. How much do they consider 'sufficient'? I can't find it anywhere on the website.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,449 times
You/your husband will need either to have a job lined up in the UK or sufficient savings to live off for several months given that, realistically, it could take that long to find a job. Your husband needs to apply for ILE - indefinite leave to enter (the UK). As his wife, you are his sponsor but they will consider your joint finances, not just yours. After 1 year in the UK on ILE, he will be eligible to apply for UK citizenship under the current rules. It might take longer than that as the rules are presently in a state of flux. If you want professional advice, best to look here People Seeking Immigration Advice: The Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner

Old 07-15-2010, 05:09 AM

I don't think we will have jobs lined up before we go back although I could probably swing something.

In terms of available cash we probably have enough for a year or two liquid right now, so it all depends on how much they want you to have.

£10,000 or £50,000 or £100,000? More?

Plus do we HAVE to then live in the UK all the time or could we divide the time with States?

We would like my husband to have British residency as well as US citizenship in the same way that I have both. But not sure we want to spend several years there right now.

We'll have to see how it works out.
Thanks for the comment.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 AM

26 posts, read 66,928 times
Hello. So have done something roughly a long the same lines (spouse visa to the UK). It is pretty straight forward (a lot easier than getting a US visa), just apply through the British consulate in the US. For the sufficient funds - I'd be pretty surprised if you had any problems with 10k. The first UK visa I got was the working holiday one and that had a similar 'sufficient funds' clause - and I think I just showed an account with like $4k in it...

Old 07-15-2010, 07:17 AM

Unlike the US, UK immigration does not require a specific amount of income or savings. They just want to see that your income minus expenditure is greater than zero ! Or, if initially you will have no income, that your savings will last a few months. If you have £10,000+ in the bank it's no problem. some guidance here: The Spousal Visa

Old 07-15-2010, 01:29 PM

Thanks!!

Do we HAVE to move to the UK to get him a visa? Does anyone know if there's a minimum residency requirement? Could we split the time with the US or do we have to commit to a couple of years (at least) living in the UK full time?

Thanks again!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:39 PM

You both have to live in the UK for him to get UK citizenship. I think you can be out of the country for 90 days/year or something like that. Try this site UK Border Agency | British citizenship

Old 07-23-2010, 01:36 AM

42 posts, read 125,312 times
Yes, you have to both live there for at least a year in order to get it. I'm sure $10-15K USD would be sufft. Esp if you can get a job and you have family there.

But honestly, although it would be nice for him to have it...unless you're really going to be living there for more than 90 days at a time on a normal basis or he wants to work there... it's not worth it. I looked into doing it and it is a hassle and very expensive if he can't work, and very boring for him to sit around all that time.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,488 times
I am in a similar situation, I am a British citizen an live in the u.s with my husband who is a u.s citizen, we want to live in the uk to be closer to my family. So do we both need to have jobs lined up in the uk before we come? And does he have to have a I .d.l visa before we arrive, it sounds difficult and expensive. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag23 View Post
I am in a similar situation, I am a British citizen an live in the u.s with my husband who is a u.s citizen, we want to live in the uk to be closer to my family. So do we both need to have jobs lined up in the uk before we come? And does he have to have a I .d.l visa before we arrive, it sounds difficult and expensive. Any advice will be much appreciated.
If your husband doesn't already have a work visa for the UK he can't have a job lined up before going there. You may find this aite helpful:

https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration