Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 PM

296 posts, read 1,250,117 times

Advertisements

I'm currently an F1 student living in the US. I would like to stay in the US after I graduate with a Bachelors in Business Admin. I have some minor work experience in marketing (about 4 years worth) from Canada before I moved here to pursue my degree, plus an additional 2 years working in the US on OPT. (1 yr OPT after my associates, and will have another after I complete my bachelors). My first OPT was working as a college advisor, the second will be as a recruiter for a large company. As a career, I would like to be a recruiter for a corporation or recruiter/advisor for a college. Does anyone know if those jobs could classify as "Vocational Counselor" under NAFTA? It largely requires working one on one with potential employees, advising them, assessing them, placing them and ultimately helping them find their next job (although within the company). And if in a college setting, would be comprised of the same, but advising them to help achieve their educational, and subsequently career, goals. Keep in mind my bachelors is in Business. Any shot at falling under the TN category? And if not, could it fall under some type of "consulting" position instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,373 times
I would try under vocational counselor. The NAFTA TN regulations do not provide any description, but going by the department of labor's handbook, it sounds like you fit.

Quote:
Vocational counselors, also called employment or career counselors, provide mainly career counseling outside the school setting. Their chief focus is helping individuals with career decisions. Vocational counselors explore and evaluate the client’s education, training, work history, interests, skills, and personality traits. They may arrange for aptitude and achievement tests to help the client make career decisions. They also work with individuals to develop their job-search skills and assist clients in locating and applying for jobs. In addition, career counselors provide support to people experiencing job loss, job stress, or other career transition issues.
Consultant is about the hardest position to qualify for under TN, I would not try it if I was you:

Quote:
... provide services that are directed toward improving the managerial, operating, and economic performance of public and private entities by analyzing and resolving strategic and operating problems and thereby improving the entity’s goals, objectives, policies, strategies, administration, organization, and operation...
It has to be management consulting, and my understanding is that it has the highest rejection rate among NAFTA professions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration