U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-18-2013, 01:24 PM
 
181 posts, read 265,587 times
Reputation: 56

Advertisements

Net Migration from Mexico Falls to Zero

Report: Immigration From Mexico Won't Go Back to Peak Levels of 1990s - ABC News

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/us...wave.html?_r=0

Will spanish survive in the usa?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2013, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,372,444 times
Reputation: 602
Even legal immigration from Mexico is at lower levels. Several years ago, the U.S. Consulate in Ciudad Juarez (the only facility for the entire country that processes Immigrant Visas, or categories that lead to immigration, like K-class visas) was completing 800 to 1000 petitions every weekday that wasn't an American or Mexican holiday. That was before they moved to a larger compound, being the busiest U.S. Consulate in the world, and now the flow has dwindled off.

Legal and illegal immigration from Mexico is net zero now, there are more people going back to Mexico than coming here from Mexico...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 03:45 PM
 
45,681 posts, read 19,728,197 times
Reputation: 12807
When you say Spanish are you referring to the language? Who cares if it does or does not survive? English is our de facto national language.

No, illegal immigration isn't down from Mexico. Since Obama announced that during his second term amnesty would be granted for sure illegal immigration has increased.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 08:14 PM
 
181 posts, read 265,587 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Even legal immigration from Mexico is at lower levels. Several years ago, the U.S. Consulate in Ciudad Juarez (the only facility for the entire country that processes Immigrant Visas, or categories that lead to immigration, like K-class visas) was completing 800 to 1000 petitions every weekday that wasn't an American or Mexican holiday. That was before they moved to a larger compound, being the busiest U.S. Consulate in the world, and now the flow has dwindled off.

Legal and illegal immigration from Mexico is net zero now, there are more people going back to Mexico than coming here from Mexico...
Yeah, but will it always be like that in the future? Or, like that abc article says, will it grow?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 09:54 PM
 
181 posts, read 265,587 times
Reputation: 56
Mexicans using asylum 'keywords' to cross U.S. border: Officials - Washington Times

"The Associated Press said the United States has received a massive number of asylum requests in recent years. Federal immigration authorities said they’ve fielded more than 19,119 requests between January and May of this year and expect another 28,600 by year’s end."

"By comparison, the agency received only 5,369 the entire year of 2009, Breitbart reported."

Plus, immigration reform might pass.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,372,444 times
Reputation: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
Yeah, but will it always be like that in the future? Or, like that abc article says, will it grow?
I think it is going to depend upon the intertwined U.S. and Mexican economies. Certainly if the U.S. Consulate at Ciudad Juarez goes back to the same levels, they now have the facilities to handle it. Here's another good link for you: Everything you know about immigration is wrong

Migration from Mexico (and other countries) needs to return to that historical method: Supporting employment in the United States when required, but (without gaining legitimate acquisition of familial sponsorship) limited to a defined work period, after which they return home. The United States and other countries would mutually benefit from such a policy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,372,444 times
Reputation: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
Mexicans using asylum 'keywords' to cross U.S. border: Officials - Washington Times

"The Associated Press said the United States has received a massive number of asylum requests in recent years. Federal immigration authorities said they’ve fielded more than 19,119 requests between January and May of this year and expect another 28,600 by year’s end."

"By comparison, the agency received only 5,369 the entire year of 2009, Breitbart reported."

Plus, immigration reform might pass.
It's an aberration, and a drop in the bucket compared to Chinese asylum requests (more than ten times the level as the next highest country). Asylum requests have extremely low approval percentages, in the long term this story won't have any impact. Cases from Mexico have been non-existent in the past, just within the last two years have they been in the top 25 countries (at the 22nd and 19th position, a percent and a half of the total).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 AM
 
47,531 posts, read 63,765,433 times
Reputation: 22345
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
It's an aberration, and a drop in the bucket compared to Chinese asylum requests (more than ten times the level as the next highest country). Asylum requests have extremely low approval percentages, in the long term this story won't have any impact. Cases from Mexico have been non-existent in the past, just within the last two years have they been in the top 25 countries (at the 22nd and 19th position, a percent and a half of the total).
The numbers are growing at a very high rate -- and does anyone really think it will matter if they are approved or not? Once they get their foot in the door, they'll never go home.

All they need to do now is show up at the border, use a could keywords to demand they be given asylum and they're allowed to come on in. Obama is not deporting any illegals except violent criminals, it's not as though they'll be deported if they aren't given asylum, and they can wait for the big promised amnesty.

Of course these asylum requests are nothing more than shams. Mexico is a democracy with more honest elections than we have in the USA. They carefully guard their election process. Mexico has freedom and a growing middle class -- unlike the USA which has a growing food stamp class.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 10:09 AM
 
47,531 posts, read 63,765,433 times
Reputation: 22345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
Yeah, but will it always be like that in the future? Or, like that abc article says, will it grow?
For one -- the same sources will admit that immigration from other Central American nations is way up. But also -- there is no one standing at the border counting illegals coming over. They're certainly not counting the visa overstays -- and it's very easy for Mexicans to get $169 legal border crossing cards and nothing at all is done if they never return after using them to come here. There is also no way to count illegals leaving the USA to head back into Mexico -- no way at all.

The evidence has to come from more reliable means -- the incredible rate of increase of the Spanish speaking population -- they're not all gulping fertility drugs, the increase is not due only to their high birth rates. Univision which is the Spanish speaking channel has now surpassed all the English speaking channels -- and Mexican radio shows surpass all American radio shows -- well -- one is gone now but that's because the host of the show -- who came here illegally and promoted illegal immigration also couldn't respect the laws on sexual harassment so he got dropped.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2013, 04:53 PM
 
181 posts, read 265,587 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Even legal immigration from Mexico is at lower levels. Several years ago, the U.S. Consulate in Ciudad Juarez (the only facility for the entire country that processes Immigrant Visas, or categories that lead to immigration, like K-class visas) was completing 800 to 1000 petitions every weekday that wasn't an American or Mexican holiday. That was before they moved to a larger compound, being the busiest U.S. Consulate in the world, and now the flow has dwindled off.

Legal and illegal immigration from Mexico is net zero now, there are more people going back to Mexico than coming here from Mexico...
@malamute. Legal immigration is down.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top