U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 10:55 PM

985 posts, read 2,616,347 times

Advertisements

Advisory on Processing Times

A $300 fee increase has tripled wait times and forced the hiring of 1,500 new staff. Just like INS to have the "fee increase" spent before they even collect it

Advisory on Processing Times

USCIS has received a significant increase in the number of applications filed. In July and August, nearly 2.5 million applications and petitions of all types were received. This compares to 1.2 million applications and petitions received in the same time period last year. This fiscal year, we received 1.4 million applications for naturalization; nearly double the volume we received the year before. The agency is working to improve processes and focus increased resources, including hiring approximately 1,500 new employees, to address this workload.

As a result, average processing times for certain application types may grow longer. In particular, naturalization applications filed after June 1, 2007 may take approximately 16-18 months to process.

USCIS has several informational services to keep you apprised of the agency's progress. We encourage you to take advantage of information posted on our website and to create and monitor your profile in our Case Status Online system to properly track your case. You will find a link to Case Status Online in the Related Links section of this page.

We will continue to provide additional information on application processing times as it becomes available.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 08:10 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,468,243 times
Yep...the USCIS is supposed to be a self-funding agency, i.e. the visa application fees are supposed to support the cost to the taxpayers of the agency. It's no wonder fees had to increase; they'd been at that level for a while.

It's not rocket science that a lot of apps would have been lodged prior to the fee increase; over on an immigration board I used to post on, people did little else but whine about the fee increase for months.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 AM

273 posts, read 206,390 times
$300 is nothing! Let the whiners eat cake!

Old 11-23-2007, 10:13 AM

21,146 posts, read 38,834,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
$300 is nothing! Let the whiners eat cake!
I have to agree: if a generic illegal immigrant can come up with well over $1k for a coyote; the $300 'additional' is chump change

Old 11-23-2007, 01:58 PM

1,510 posts, read 813,884 times
$300 more incentive to cross illegally. all to fund an unnecessary bureaucracy. yay america.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0ST.. View Post
$300 more incentive to cross illegally. all to fund an unnecessary bureaucracy. yay america.
How is it unnecessary? You don't think it's a good idea to screen immigrants? What next...letting suspected murderers go because they say they're innocent to avoid funding THAT unnecessary bureaucracy?

Old 11-23-2007, 02:35 PM

we dont need a border patrol. we need our military resources pulled out of international bases and put on our borders. then we wouldnt need border patrol. and if we had free, fast immigration, we wouldnt need as much ICE funding. we could reallot most of the budget into application processing and health screens. tah-dah

Old 11-23-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
we dont need a border patrol. we need our military resources pulled out of international bases and put on our borders. then we wouldnt need border patrol. and if we had free, fast immigration, we wouldnt need as much ICE funding. we could reallot most of the budget into application processing and health screens. tah-dah
You're living in a dream world, kid.

Here...I called this for you:

Old 11-23-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
You're living in a dream world, kid.
real mature, kid.

and tell me, why is my scenario a "dream"? are you claiming its not a possibility? what problems would you have with it?

Old 11-23-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
real mature, kid.

and tell me, why is my scenario a "dream"? are you claiming its not a possibility? what problems would you have with it?
I have a problem with it because it's a stupid idea. It's hopelessly naive. It's the kind of thing a college kid would think up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration