Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 34,416 times

Advertisements

If I move to Canada will I lose my Social Security?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Read this:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

Old 12-04-2013, 12:53 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
Nope, as long as you're a citizen of Canada.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Nope, as long as you're a citizen of Canada.
Totally incorrect.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Totally incorrect.
I beg to differ. If you have SSI or Supplemental Security Income (which is commonly confused with Social Security), a welfare program, then yes, you lose your benefits.

However, Social Security payments, as in what you receive when you retire, is something that you keep.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Canada & Social Security-screen-shot-2013-12-04-10.21.03  

Old 12-04-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I beg to differ. If you have SSI or Supplemental Security Income (which is commonly confused with Social Security), a welfare program, then yes, you lose your benefits.

However, Social Security payments, as in what you receive when you retire, is something that you keep.
The OP asked about Social Security which is commonly accepted by those not confused as referring to Social Security retirement and not SSI. My response was based on not being confused.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The OP asked about Social Security which is commonly accepted by those not confused as referring to Social Security retirement and not SSI. My response was based on not being confused.
Ok, I'm confused.

She's trying to find out whether or not she'll have her Social Security (assuming that it's retirement, not disability, dependent, or spousal) benefits if she moves to Canada. Based on the PDF that was posted by nightlysparrow and the screenshot that I uploaded, she can move to Canada and still receive her Social Security payments.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:30 AM

Where is the confusion. You said she would not lose her SS benefits, "as long as you're a citizen of Canada". Obviously this isn't correct. Yes, she can collect her US SS benefits outside of the US, including Canada, and the link which nightlysparrow provided explains it all perfectly clearly. She doesn't have to be a Canadian citizen ...

Old 12-31-2013, 11:45 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
IF the original poster is a retired American, who is getting social security pension benefits, they can't "move to Canada ". Canada has rules about who can live here.

A person who is retired and living on a pension, can't move to Canada, and live here, year round. They CAN visit Canada, as a tourist, for a total of 183 days, in any 12 month period of time. The exact SAME rule applies to Canadians, who go to the USA, in the winter time.

In order to live in Canada, on a permanent basis, a person MUST apply and be accepted as a Immigrant, by the Canadian Government. Immigrants must be fully able to work and support themselves, in Canada. Immigrants must be healthy and able to pass a medical examination, in their own country, by a Medical Doctor, who is approved by the Canadian Government. Other regulations about education and actual working skills also need to be met, before approval is granted to come to live and work in Canada.

An American citizen who is a visitor in Canada cannot work, seek work, attend school, use any of our social services programs , or operate a business here. They are responsible for the cost of any medical care that they need, and any prescriptions required are at their cost.

In short, an American citizen is not able to live in Canada, on a year round basis, regardless of their age on income level, UNLESS they have applied for and been granted "Permanent Resident status " by the Canadian Government.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:33 PM

All the OP asked was a simple question which somehow became very convoluted. Assuming the OP is legally able to move to Canada and live there the simple answer is yes. US Social Security retirement benefits can be collected by the recipient in whatever country they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration