Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:44 AM

232 posts, read 736,517 times

Advertisements

Yes. Where I live is where it all happens at the International Falls, MN port of entry across the bridge from Fort Frances, Ontario. If you have any DUI - even if it's from 1970, you don't get into the US. If you have any violent run-ins including domestic violence, and now, orders of protection or restraining orders - forget it - you're not getting in. Same goes for Americans attempting to visit Canada.

While I respect the law I don't like this new world of security on steroids where people who are nonviolent and did something stupid are barred - forever - from going someplace they can see from my second-story window. Many of our communities that depend on tourism dollars and shoppers from across the border are going out of business because people no longer want the hassle or stress of dealing with customs. It wasn't like this ten years ago and from what I see it hasn't made any difference in reducing crime. There have been some seizures of drugs and weapons, but those guidelines have been in place for decades and the only difference is there are reality shows and news stories reporting that.

People are even being denied entry into the US (and Canada) because now Customs has the ability to look into your medical records (now that medical records are digitized) and people with bipolar disorder or muscular dystrophy have been refused entry on the grounds of 'potentially becoming a burden on US or Canada's medical system'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 11:42 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,380,477 times
It's not EXACTLY the same between the two countries, though wait a few weeks and there is something new.
Older homeowners are now administratively being given 90 days, not the usual six months, for entry into the USA to go to where they own homes.

Search engines are getting smarter and smarter: pot tickets in Canada from the late sixties are just now starting to show up on US border searches, and were not a few years ago. That's a ticket for something parts of the US are now legallizing: almost half a million Canadians cannot enter the US. If it's in print, true or not, the border can hold it against you and especially at the US border...this is what really gets me....the border is under no obligation to give you a reason.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:38 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,468,083 times
Never gonna happen! He earns way too much money for the US companies and brands so lose that revenue stream.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:53 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
In particular, the New York Times’ Andrew Rosenthal has suggested that if Bieber were “poor, obscure and, say, Hispanic” he might be swiftly deported
This just goes to show you how many reporters are out of touch with reality. There are millions of "poor, obscure, hispanics" living in plain view in the USA. Probably more than 10 million. Many have fathered or mothered "anchor babies". A lot work hard, at menial jobs that no Americans, even the poor, actually want to do, for the low wages offered.
It is true that a good way for hispanics to lose that obscurity, is to get arrested. Many wind up with ICE detainers, even when the charges are dropped. Some get deported, only to sneak back across, because there is no way they are going to give up their life in the USA, for a return to their impoverished existence in Mexico or latin America. If you know someone who works for ICE, ask them how many people are still in the USA, despite having received court orders to self-deport? Also, how many previously deported are caught a second, third or fourth time?
There are more than a half-million illegal immigrants in New York City, home of the NYT. We may get a better handle, if the new left-wing city council enacts a proposed new law issuing government IDs to them!
http://archive.advocate.nyc.gov/open-city
"Bill de Blasio is calling for the City to undertake the following reforms:
Offer a universal city ID card for all residents ...
allow undocumented immigrants to apply for driver's licenses
End City collaboration with the ... federal immigration detainers process"

Old 01-25-2014, 01:10 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
Duluth;

Please......... get your facts right.

Canada reserves the absolute right to deny entry to IMMIGRANTS, who may pose a "undue cost to the Canadian health care system ". NOT to tourists who want to enter Canada for a short stay.

Before a IMMIGRANT is approved to come to Canada, they MUST have a medical examination, in their own country, performed by a Medical Doctor, who is under contract to the Canadian Immigration board. And they pay for that exam, themselves.

Second point. Right after 9/11, the USA and Canada agreed that the International boundary needed to be more secure. At that time I was a owner/operator with a expedite freight company based in Ontario. Most of my emergency deliveries went to the USA, and I was in your country 4 days out of every week, on average. My experience was that the US side went way overboard on screening and outright stupid stuff, like insisting that I couldn't be born in Canada ,and also have a Canadian Citizenship card issued to me. They just made it up as they went along, it seemed to me.

Now that has eased off quite a bit, mainly due to official complaints from the Canadian Government and Provincial Premiers, who were being deluged with complaints from their irate citizens, about mis-treatment by USCIS.

Justin Bieber is a legal resident of the US, with a properly issued Visa and unless he is convicted of a felony, which could happen in the future, he isn't going to be tossed out for a DUI, which is a misdemeanor in Florida. You don`t have to like him, just respect his rights, OK.

I wonder how many people know this fact............ Elvis Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker , was a illegal immigrant, from Holland, who jumped ship in the USA, and never had a US passport. That is why Elvis never went on tour, except to go to Canada, which at that time, didn't require `Americans `to have a passport to enter Canada. Should HE have been sent back to his homeland........! Parker, not Presley...

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:36 PM

506 posts, read 958,891 times
lol. No one wants Bieber in their country.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:33 PM

155 posts, read 274,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Justin Bieber’s highly publicized arrest for DUI and other infractions has led some to compare the Canadian entertainer’s handling by U.S. law enforcement to that of undocumented immigrations.

In particular, the New York Times’ Andrew Rosenthal has suggested that if Bieber were “poor, obscure and, say, Hispanic” he might be swiftly deported

Read more: Justin Bieber Arrest: Why We Can't Just Deport The Teen Singer | TIME.com Justin Bieber Arrest: Why We Can't Just Deport The Teen Singer | TIME.com
Don't think you can deport for a misdemeanor. If he gets a felony conviction out of that egging, maybe then. But it wouldn't be moral turp, which could be an issue.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:42 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,222,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrooks View Post
Don't think you can deport for a misdemeanor. If he gets a felony conviction out of that egging, maybe then. But it wouldn't be moral turp, which could be an issue.
Exactly. One misdemeanor = not sufficient. The egging thing will likely not result in removal proceedings for him either. He'd have to really mess up big time with a drug conviction or some type of AF/CIMT for it to really be an issue.

Also he benefits from being in the Ninth Circuit which is by far the most hospitable to aliens. On top of that, we really don't want him gone. Say what you want about him but the other poster is right when he said that Biebs has created jobs for probably dozens of people and he is good for the economy. He's not some welfare leech wallowing in the dregs of society.

Lastly, no matter what he (should) be getting a top-notch attorney who will be well-aware of the immigration consequences of any conviction Bieber should receive and should, if s/he's good, be able to get around any conviction that would have adverse consequences.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:59 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
Yes. Where I live is where it all happens at the International Falls, MN port of entry across the bridge from Fort Frances, Ontario. If you have any DUI - even if it's from 1970, you don't get into the US. If you have any violent run-ins including domestic violence, and now, orders of protection or restraining orders - forget it - you're not getting in. Same goes for Americans attempting to visit Canada.

While I respect the law I don't like this new world of security on steroids where people who are nonviolent and did something stupid are barred - forever - from going someplace they can see from my second-story window. Many of our communities that depend on tourism dollars and shoppers from across the border are going out of business because people no longer want the hassle or stress of dealing with customs. It wasn't like this ten years ago and from what I see it hasn't made any difference in reducing crime. There have been some seizures of drugs and weapons, but those guidelines have been in place for decades and the only difference is there are reality shows and news stories reporting that.

People are even being denied entry into the US (and Canada) because now Customs has the ability to look into your medical records (now that medical records are digitized) and people with bipolar disorder or muscular dystrophy have been refused entry on the grounds of 'potentially becoming a burden on US or Canada's medical system'.
What you just talked about is going way too far IMHO and I'm NO friend of convicted lawbreakers. Like you said: a DUI from 1970? That's just stupid since that was 44 years ago.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:42 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,003,235 times
He's a thug...give him some jail time and send him on his way. Thugs like that need to be put in their place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration