Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,380,477 times

Advertisements

I'm not getting my hopes up. Does anyone have any idea how much money connected lawyers, agents, promotion people, and music industry executives make off of this guy?? Their New York lawyers will never let that happen.

How about immoral twerpitude?? Could be a whole new crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 11:09 AM

414 posts, read 1,095,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
In particular, the New York Times’ Andrew Rosenthal has suggested that if Bieber were “poor, obscure and, say, Hispanic” he might be swiftly deported
I think Andrew is being sensationalist there. I recall reading several articles last year about how the deportation process works for poor and obscure illegal aliens. If caught entering the country illegally or if found by law enforcement to be in the country illegally (typically only after committing a violent felony), they are put up in hotel rooms until they get their day in court, which can often take weeks. If the hotels are at capacity, then they're simply released to go about their business. There's nothing swift about current methods of deportation for illegal aliens.

As it stands, the system may actually put a wealthy, famous person at a disadvantage in a way, because rather than being just another number, another anonymous face among tens of millions, someone who is wealthy and famous can easily be singled out for special treatment--whether in a positive way or a negative way.

Regardless, as the article says, the situation is entirely different with Bieber. He is a legal resident with all the proper paperwork and hasn't committed a felony. Unless what he did specifically violated some clause in his visa, there's no way he'll be deported.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:40 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
There is a difference between a GREEN Card and a VISA.

As a former CANUCK I had a GREEN CARD that allowed me a LEGAL Residence status in the US and was NOT a VISA used for a temporary visit.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
Yes. Where I live is where it all happens at the International Falls, MN port of entry across the bridge from Fort Frances, Ontario. If you have any DUI - even if it's from 1970, you don't get into the US. If you have any violent run-ins including domestic violence, and now, orders of protection or restraining orders - forget it - you're not getting in. Same goes for Americans attempting to visit Canada.

While I respect the law I don't like this new world of security on steroids where people who are nonviolent and did something stupid are barred - forever - from going someplace they can see from my second-story window. Many of our communities that depend on tourism dollars and shoppers from across the border are going out of business because people no longer want the hassle or stress of dealing with customs. It wasn't like this ten years ago and from what I see it hasn't made any difference in reducing crime. There have been some seizures of drugs and weapons, but those guidelines have been in place for decades and the only difference is there are reality shows and news stories reporting that.

People are even being denied entry into the US (and Canada) because now Customs has the ability to look into your medical records (now that medical records are digitized) and people with bipolar disorder or muscular dystrophy have been refused entry on the grounds of 'potentially becoming a burden on US or Canada's medical system'.
Too bad they don't do that on the southern border.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:36 PM

Didn't they keep Paul McCartney out for being a pothead? And that very good British singer Amy Winehouse couldn't get a visa even for some awards ceremony. I don't see why Justin Bieber's visa isn't pulled.

Ironic though -- they're giving drug traffickers from Mexico visas and asylum, even the trafficker from that "House of Death" case was given a visa to live in the USA.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:44 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Duluth;

Please......... get your facts right.

Canada reserves the absolute right to deny entry to IMMIGRANTS, who may pose a "undue cost to the Canadian health care system ". NOT to tourists who want to enter Canada for a short stay.

Before a IMMIGRANT is approved to come to Canada, they MUST have a medical examination, in their own country, performed by a Medical Doctor, who is under contract to the Canadian Immigration board. And they pay for that exam, themselves.

Second point. Right after 9/11, the USA and Canada agreed that the International boundary needed to be more secure. At that time I was a owner/operator with a expedite freight company based in Ontario. Most of my emergency deliveries went to the USA, and I was in your country 4 days out of every week, on average. My experience was that the US side went way overboard on screening and outright stupid stuff, like insisting that I couldn't be born in Canada ,and also have a Canadian Citizenship card issued to me. They just made it up as they went along, it seemed to me.

Now that has eased off quite a bit, mainly due to official complaints from the Canadian Government and Provincial Premiers, who were being deluged with complaints from their irate citizens, about mis-treatment by USCIS.

Justin Bieber is a legal resident of the US, with a properly issued Visa and unless he is convicted of a felony, which could happen in the future, he isn't going to be tossed out for a DUI, which is a misdemeanor in Florida. You don`t have to like him, just respect his rights, OK.

I wonder how many people know this fact............ Elvis Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker , was a illegal immigrant, from Holland, who jumped ship in the USA, and never had a US passport. That is why Elvis never went on tour, except to go to Canada, which at that time, didn't require `Americans `to have a passport to enter Canada. Should HE have been sent back to his homeland........! Parker, not Presley...

Jim B

Toronto.
Excellent post!!!!

If I was going to emigrate out of the US, Canada would be my first choice. However, it will never happen as I'm too old to be granted immigrant status. I have to be satisfied with being an occasional visitor.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:11 PM

Default Paul McCartney hosted the Super Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Didn't they keep Paul McCartney out for being a pothead? And that very good British singer Amy Winehouse couldn't get a visa even for some awards ceremony. I don't see why Justin Bieber's visa isn't pulled.

Ironic though -- they're giving drug traffickers from Mexico visas and asylum, even the trafficker from that "House of Death" case was given a visa to live in the USA.
Good point but Mr. "pot should be legal" McCartney hosted the Super Bowl.
Did he do it from Leeds??

Old 01-26-2014, 06:14 PM

Default P. Trudeau, Canada's Prime Minister, was on a ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Excellent post!!!!

If I was going to emigrate out of the US, Canada would be my first choice. However, it will never happen as I'm too old to be granted immigrant status. I have to be satisfied with being an occasional visitor.
Trudeau was on an exclusion list for entry to the US until he was elected Prime Minister.
He then dated, seriously, Barbara Streisand! She very easilly could have ended up First
Lady, of Canada.

Elvis' only Canadian concert was in Vancouver, BC and hosted/interviewed by Red Robinson.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:36 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
There's now a petition going on to ask the White House to deport him. Though he is on a special visa that is issued to those with exceptional talents. I guess his talent is in being an exceptional idiot.
You are right but the money that he is paying in taxes makes him a "valued" legal person that they rather keep over here!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Justin Bieber is a legal resident of the US, with a properly issued Visa and unless he is convicted of a felony, which could happen in the future, he isn't going to be tossed out for a DUI, which is a misdemeanor in Florida. You don`t have to like him, just respect his rights, OK.

I wonder how many people know this fact............ Elvis Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker , was a illegal immigrant, from Holland, who jumped ship in the USA, and never had a US passport. That is why Elvis never went on tour, except to go to Canada, which at that time, didn't require `Americans `to have a passport to enter Canada. Should HE have been sent back to his homeland........! Parker, not Presley...

Jim B

Toronto.
So how come you Canadians don't want the little twit to come back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration