Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times

Advertisements

Thanks everybody. I'll pass this info along. I'm not sure about what embassy in D.C. they're talking about. I'll keep watching for more ideas if you have any. It will be nice if her African license and a learner's permit works. Will let you know what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:33 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
One can use International Driving License to purchase a car as well as rent a car. When I first came to this country in 2004, I was able to buy a car on International Driving License and then go for Driving Test on my own car and get Texas DL. One can do it on Learner's Permit also which is just a written test. If Rules for foreigners have changed now, then I dont know.
An International Drivers Permit or licnses as some calls it, is not an actual license to drive in the USA. It is just a document that conform to a set standard that translates information on your license so others outside your country can understand what is on your license. That is what it has always been.

To the OP, don;t get confused by a US State Dept International Drivers License. Those are only issued to diplomatic or UN designated positions so those individuals do not have to carry their specific country's license while in the USA.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:33 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
An International Drivers Permit or licnses as some calls it, is not an actual license to drive in the USA. It is just a document that conform to a set standard that translates information on your license so others outside your country can understand what is on your license. That is what it has always been.

To the OP, don;t get confused by a US State Dept International Drivers License. Those are only issued to diplomatic or UN designated positions so those individuals do not have to carry their specific country's license while in the USA.
I have rented car and driven on International Driving License. I had License of India which was separate. International driving license is a separate document which I got from India and I used that for driving in the USA. I bought my car and also rented car on that. I did not bring my India license here, only brought International driving license. If it is not for driving, why will Enterprise let me rent a car.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:02 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
I have rented car and driven on International Driving License. I had License of India which was separate. International driving license is a separate document which I got from India and I used that for driving in the USA. I bought my car and also rented car on that. I did not bring my India license here, only brought International driving license. If it is not for driving, why will Enterprise let me rent a car.
Maybe because the clerk did not read it or knew about it.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Maybe because the clerk did not read it or knew about it.
Yep, thats my take on it also.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:50 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
As long as she has her original license, plus a passport, what can they do?
As far as what can they do, at least in Iowa they will call such a license invalid and write her for having no license at all, further if her employer or someone else happens to be riding with her that person could be written for allowing someone to drive without a valid DL. So she needs to get the Maryland permit or figure something else out through her employer and consulate. I'm surprised this wasn't looked into before her arrival, if she will be needing to use a vehicle in her job.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:23 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
That's what we'll have to do. Thanks. It is the person's fault that arranged her working in the U.S. to have overlooked the driving part of it. With your help, it does seem that she'll just have to go with the flow and get a learner's permit. "It just goes to show you... It's always something!" (Rosanne Rosannadanna)

Old 01-09-2016, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 575 times
I have a current and valid driving licence from cameroon,can I drive in Atlanta with a translation of my DL?

Old 01-09-2016, 04:51 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedflu View Post
I have a current and valid driving licence from cameroon,can I drive in Atlanta with a translation of my DL?
Yes' that's exactly what the international driver's licence is for. But it's only valid for a certain period of time, meant to cover visitors, but make residents get a local licence.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedflu View Post
You do not need the international drivers permit as your license is valid, but because so few people probably actually seen one or know how to read the information on it, the international drivers permit translates that information. One very important note, you still need to carry and present your actual license as that is the license; everything else is just to support that license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration