Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 03:34 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times

Advertisements

...are they in danger?

My feeling is that they are. They live in Kiev and as we all know, Crimea has already been annexed. What is to stop Putin's army from taking the rest of the country?

Our friend calls me and contacts me via Facebook everyday to tell me that she is frightened.

My best advice was for her to get a tourist visa, and to come over right away. She is in her 20s but she is engaged. She has visited the US at least ten times and always returned to Ukraine. According to an attorney that I spoke to, this is in her favor. She owns a flat in Kiev, her father and sister live in Kiev, (mom is deceased and I've taken over that role) so she has ties. She has a master's degree, is multi- lingual and she is employed.

Before all of this happened, she was in a lottery for a five year visa, so that she could freely travel to and from the US/UA. Obviously, this is a better visa than the tourist visa. Application for the tourist visa would nullify her previous application for the five year visa.

However, I am very concerned in light of recent events; that something will happen swiftly and she will be unable to leave. If Putin changes the currency, as he has in Crimea, her money will be rendered worthless.

She already has friends in Crimea who are in that situation.

I know there are two issues here. I'd really appreciate responses from people with knowledge of the situation in Ukraine and in immigration. Thank you.

Could anyone with a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 04:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Right now I think normal channels as they do not qualify for anything else.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:57 AM

24,599 posts, read 10,921,225 times
I do understand your concerns about the young lady. Does she want to leave family and fiancé? If she gets a tourist visa what are her plans after the granted period?

Currently her options are US employer, intercompany transfer, marriage, investment, diversity lottery. I do not see circumstances allowing for asylum in the US.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:47 PM

6 posts, read 9,683 times
I thought the Ukraine voted that they want to be part of Russia again?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
What about emigrating to European nations -- wasn't one of the issues is that some in the Ukraine want to join the EU? That should make European nations very sympathetic to people fleeing Ukraine because they don't want to fight for their freedom.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:40 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,958,567 times
The Russians aren't killing people wholesale in Crimea unless something has changed. It is very unlikely that the Russians are going to go into Ukraine and if they do, it won't be to kill civilians as they head in.

Ukraine had serious economic problems before the Russians went into Crimea and it will take a long time to straighten that out. If everyone bails out, then where is the Ukraine in the Ukrainians?

Ukraine needs it's people, it doesn't need them bugging out. Being a citizen of a country is not one of convenience or only when times are good, the young and bright are needed to help steer the country to a better place. If they leave, they abandon their home and their country to whomever sticks it out.

There is always a concern for those in a country where stability is in question but aside from those killed during the overthrow, there haven't been mass killings or anything like that. Are conditions far from optimum? Of course but they won't get any better if everyone leaves.

Actually, this is a time of opportunity for those that have some vision, a chance to shape what Ukraine will become. Unfortunately, when it come time for perseverance and involvement, most say "not me" and head for greener pastures. Of course it then follows that those that leave then become vocal about what happens afterward never noting their lack of contribution.

This is obviously a very personal issue so don't take this as a comment on personal decisions but when enough personal decisions like this are made, it can and does affect where a country goes.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:17 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,752 times
If currency is changed, one can change old currency with new currency or even to Dollars. Money is not worthless.
Ukraine is a huge country- 48 Million people. I dont think that 48 million people will be threatened that they will have to leave the country. There is a difference between threatening government and threat to people. The new Government of Ukraine themselves came to power through western supported coup and by riots by right wing-not by some elections. Russian people of Crimea fear Right wing Ukraine Government. Some Russian living in Kiev can also claim asylum in US saying that he/she feel threatened by new Right wing Ukraine nationalist government. This enquiry looks like a case where people use trouble in their country to claim asylum in western countries. Somalia, Afghanistan, syria refugees claim asylum the moment they land in western countries. Now Ukraine too??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration