Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:19 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,249,405 times

Advertisements

Ok, good info, we'll be researching all of this.-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 AM

So far we've gotten our case number and it's been accepted by immigration. All we have to do is send the paperwork and fee and they tell us her interview would most likely be in the next 60 days.....that's awful fast! I'm wondering if we'll have all of this in time for when we have to move this May?

Old 01-08-2015, 02:32 PM

24,601 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Congratulations to this finished step.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Congratulations to this finished step.
The hardest part actually has been all of the confrontation from my wifes family, especially to my wife. They just don't want to let her go, and she's 40 years old already LOL!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:49 AM

24,601 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
The hardest part actually has been all of the confrontation from my wifes family, especially to my wife. They just don't want to let her go, and she's 40 years old already LOL!
The borders are open. She can visit. They can visit.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:18 AM

Now there is another potential hitch, I have to prove I have a domicile in the US and an affadavit of support. My mother is going to be a joint sponsor and makes well over the 125 percent of poverty level...but some immigration lawyers are saying thats not enough. Any advice on documents I can get together on proving affadavit of support?

We'll be living with my mom until we are on our feet and she has plenty of room. My sister is there with her daughter as she recently divorced but she works full time. Basically we need to prove that my wife wont need any kind of govt assistance while on her green card. Which is laughable because my wife has 2 college degrees and has excellent english. I have no doubt she will be able to find employment.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,772,227 times
I don't think she can enter without risking to be denied and that will cause real trouble. Since you already have applied she has to wait outside the US or talk to a good immigration lawyer since dealing with a denial is the worse you can run into and renting a few month's longer may be a blessing compared to a denial.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:38 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't think she can enter without risking to be denied and that will cause real trouble. Since you already have applied she has to wait outside the US or talk to a good immigration lawyer since dealing with a denial is the worse you can run into and renting a few month's longer may be a blessing compared to a denial.
In my experience that's incorrect. I know three US citizens in the last 10 years who were legally married to non-US citizens (one from the DR and two from the UK) who were absolutely and with no problem permitted to live with their husbands in the US while their GCs were being processed. The biggest drawback was that the wife wasn't allowed to work until the GC was issued. But none was denied entry.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:59 PM

Traveling to the US and finishing is NOT a good idea. It seems like one of the biggest hurtles is whether or not they'll accept my mother as joint sponsor as being sufficient enough financial support. My current job, while good by argentine standards is not enough by US standards. I read where applying for jobs before I leave can be a big help. I've lived here for 7 years, this means immigration doesn't consider me a temporary resident of argentina rather a permanent one. This is why I have to restablish proof of domicile. I've read where for some consulate officers a joint sponsor was enough while for others it wasn't YIKES!

It seems they are really strict on this. One reason is that you have to fill out an I-864A which states that if for any reason while my wife is on a green card, she has to use any gov't assistance, my mother and I are required by law to reimburse the gov't. However, we've been reading from some immigration lawyers that this is outdated because there's never been a case in the US where that's happened and the gov't demanded re-imbursement, least that's what I read. Either way THIS is why we have to establish domicile and that we ( my mother and I ) can support financially my wife so that she won't become a burden to the welfare system. Seems rather a bit over the top, but those are the rules.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:19 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Traveling to the US and finishing is NOT a good idea.
Not in your particular case as it seems that the bottom line is that you simply don't have the financial wherewithal required to satisfy the requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration