Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 01:57 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It does not take a Green Card to be legally able to work.
Could you please explain that? To my knowledge, if one is not a US Citizen, one does need a green card to be allowed to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 02:53 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Could you please explain that? To my knowledge, if one is not a US Citizen, one does need a green card to be allowed to work.
There are numerous visas which allow one to work.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:47 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
No! This is an official site and very easy to read. Read up a bit on the three categories business/employment/study. Of course there are quirky Adjustment of Status options but the basics are pretty straight forward. travel.state.gov

Old 09-15-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
No! This is an official site and very easy to read. Read up a bit on the three categories business/employment/study. Of course there are quirky Adjustment of Status options but the basics are pretty straight forward. travel.state.gov
Yes, that is the way to go if someone asks a question.

Again, to my knowledge, if someone is not a US Citizen one needs a green card to be allowed to work, and a visa will give such a green card, an employment visa.

But hey, if you'd rather act like a jerk than answer such a simple question from someone who truly is interested in the answer, then well, you can fill in the blanks.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Again, to my knowledge, if someone is not a US Citizen one needs a green card to be allowed to work, and a visa will give such a green card, an employment visa.
A green card and work visas are entirely different things. If you go to the USCIS site linked in the first "sticky" on this forum you can find all the relevant information which explains the vast differences between them. Visa holders do not receive permanent resident status and thus are not green card holders.

Poster "Threestep" was directing you to the correct information and wasn't being a "jerk" at all.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:06 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Super-short, ridiculously oversimplified, but not entirely wrong version:

A Green Card is a specific document that designates you as a permanent resident - as long is you keep your nose out of trouble, don't leave for more than 12 months at a time (although these days, you shouldn't go beyond 6) and renew every 10 years, you're allowed to - ehm - reside permanently. And work.

There is a variety of other work-related visas - H1B being the classical one - that'll let you work and have residence as long as you're working. Some visas allow for your spouse to work, some don't. Yet another variety is the work permit often issued while someone has his/her application working through the system - for instance, someone who entered on a fiance(e) visa, got married, and is in the process of having his/her status changed. (This easily takes 5-6 months. Fiance(e) visas are good for 90 days. You see the problem.)

Some exceptions apply, always read the fine print, void where prohibited, no purchase necessary, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client, cape does not allow user to fly, the USCIS site has the best information.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

A Green Card is a specific document that designates you as a permanent resident - as long is you ... renew every 10 years, you're allowed to - ehm - reside permanently. And work.
Just to be precise and correct this one small error. Not renewing your physical "green card" every 10 years does NOT result in your being stripped of your permanent resident alien status. Your status is only revoked if you seriously default on its terms - basically those you mentioned - or are convicted of a heinous crime.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:10 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,610,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
There are numerous visas which allow one to work.
Like, for example the one her husband would have if he were working as a camp counselor for the summer. That would allow her to work.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Super-short, ridiculously oversimplified, but not entirely wrong version:
Thanks for this information. That answers my question.

Please note, I am not an immigrant, nor intending to be one.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:14 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Yes, that is the way to go if someone asks a question.

But hey, if you'd rather act like a jerk than answer such a simple question from someone who truly is interested in the answer, then well, you can fill in the blanks.
A limited number of employment based visas can lead to a Green Card. You have to differentiate between immigration intent and non-intent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration