Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Its easy to apply for a replacement greencard.
The only hassle is that it takes longer to get through immigration when returning to the country if you've lost your greencard and have a replacement. They subject it to more scrutiny.
I think what he meant (which had already been addressed in this thread) was that you can "lose" your GC status but not your US citizenship. GC cards and passports in general can always be replaced if physically lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Green card holder? How bout "border jumpers" (the new PC words for Illegal Aliens)?
There's a whole separate forum for illegal immigration discussions.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:18 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
Had a Mexican part time week end neighbor (very good friend I miss) who lived in the US for many yrs with a Green Card and never applied for citizenship while his wife did. Within the past yr or so he was complaining to me of the high cost of renewal and I just said go ahead and get to be 100% Legal since you have already passed all the requirements...so he did and was sworn in.

Few months later gets sick...hip surgery in Calif and then they also found Cancer the same time and then he passes away.

Now buried here in his Birth country of Mexico about a 1Km from me.

There are many reasons for the GC as it is the prerequisite before being able to apply for the Citizenship and it's advantages that were earned or otherwise.....(been there and done both)

Old 11-13-2014, 12:36 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,758,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
Thanks, guys, for the replies.

I've read you can get deported even if you get in an accident that is your fault and someone dies or get serious injuries? Or for drug abuse, or unauthorized employment, so pretty much anything.
A permanent resident can indeed get deported for certain reasons. As an example, look at the recent court case of that woman from the show The Real Housewives of New Jersey. Her husband is Italian and he's only a permanent resident. They were both charged with fraud and I think tax evasion too. There's talk that he might get deported for that. From Wikipedia: "Joe received a 41-month sentence, followed by potential deportation to Italy."

Also, I think I recall hearing somewhere that if you get arrested for drug-related reasons then yes you do get deported, and I think that you won't be allowed to come back into the country.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:32 PM

213 posts, read 252,677 times
4 pages of useless posts and not one person mentions the key reason why you would go from a Green Card to Citizenship.

You gain the most powerful book in the world, an United States Passport.

Sure, voting's fine and dandy, but that small blue book basically grants you visa-free entry to a majority of the industrialized world.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:07 PM

83 posts, read 127,567 times
I've been a GC holder for 7 years now and at this point I'm content with that. My main reason to not apply for citizenship is because my country of origin does not allow dual-citizenship. I would need to renounce my country of origin citizenship to be a US citizen and I'm not ready yet to let go.

I love living and working in the US - I've been here for 14 years since I originally came here as a college student. But in a sense, my country of origin's citizenship is like a safety net. I have a GC due to my marriage to a US citizen, and if something were to happen to my husband, I would probably go back to my country to be with my parents and extended family. I feel like I have more support system back there.

If my country of origin legalize dual citizenship (there has been talk), then I will definitely apply for US citizenship.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:15 PM

431 posts, read 600,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post

You gain the most powerful book in the world, an United States Passport.
Sorry. Form a line behind the UK, Sweden and Finland.
The countries with the most powerful passports in the world

Old 11-13-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
Sorry. Form a line behind the UK, Sweden and Finland.
The countries with the most powerful passports in the world

Old 11-13-2014, 09:17 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,399,515 times
for the right to claim you are a citizen of united states

Old 11-13-2014, 09:29 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,967 times
There is a range of reasons. My wife is a gc holder and we debated for a while if it is worthwhile to become a U.S. citizen, we eventually decided it was, and we are now a few years away from applying. Reasons being: no more reapplying for visas, we can travel together easier around the world, the US passport is very powerful compared to her previous country, voting rights of course, no worries about being deported, US citizens get preferred treatment in many countries from government and individuals in a variety of ways, also our government treats our citizens abroad pretty darn good, have an emergency and our government will be there to help you, seen this firsthand. The negatives: taxed regardless of location in the world, which will effect us, if we change our minds on citizenship this would probably be the main factor, US citizens are treated negatively in some countries, but rare from my experience. So to me the only reason you wouldn't become a U.S. citizen is for tax reasons... Now, I'm not comparing to other countries, just green card to US citizen. There are a few countries it would probably be better to be a citizen of, but none that could handle the number of immigrants the US handles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration