U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:52 AM

3,632 posts, read 6,287,871 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if you can only have one 6 month visa within a year or could your renewal (if you get one ) be within the same year?
thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 03:06 AM

3 posts, read 16,537 times
please go see a lawyer for this kind of information.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 AM

528 posts, read 1,033,550 times
You can technically get another visa, but be prepared to show why you want one and have a good reason.

An inspector is going to wonder why you plan to spend what's virtually an entire year in the U.S. as a "tourist", basically 'living' here, but without the proper visa: a B-1/B-2 visa is not designed for what you're intending. It is a non-immigrant visa, meaning the holder is not going to be residing in the U.S.

People DO do this from time to time, but they have to prove to the inspector's satisfaction that do not plan to go out of status - i.e. stop being a B-1/B-2 "visitor" and start doing something else. That means showing that you're not going to start working. 6 months or more is a long time - for most people - to be unemployed, so you're probably going to be asked to show how you plan to support yourself while in the U.S., and that even though you plan to be here for more than 6 months, it's still temporary, as a visitor and not a resident.

Continuing to maintain a home and other ties in your country of citizenship is a good way to support your case, as well as being able to show that you can financially support yourself for the time you plan to be in the U.S.

Be warned that if you do this more than once - i.e. get more than a couple of 6-month visas in a row - and an inspector starts seeing a pattern on your record of 6-month "visits" with intermittent breaks where you go back to your country of citizenship, mainly to get your visa renewed, he/she is probably going to end up bouncing you at one point or another for living in the U.S. without an immigrant visa.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:16 AM

Been around- the reason my wife asks is that we do intend to move legally on a work visa (sha is a nurse) but knowing that may take time , another thought is we come and stay for 6-12 months as tourists while her apllciation is being processed. We do intend doing everything the correct way. Our house will be built in Rotonda by the time we come and I am in the fortunate position of bieng able to run my business in the Uk by 'popping back' once a month. Neither of us intend to work in the US whilst on a 6 monther.

In short we want to come asap -legally- and contrubute something to our new homeland.

PS M/s Tucker-thanks for the help :-p

Old 03-11-2008, 08:16 AM

367 posts, read 1,580,606 times
If you are not working with an immigration attorney I recommend you do. I have one that my family used and she is brilliant. Have you considered L-1 Visa if you have a UK based company? I'm not sure how you stand legally if you are here when paperwork is filed, it can be tricky, hence my question on an attorney, just don't blow it for some daft technicality that immigration will raise, that you don't know about because it's not happened to anyone else you know.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:36 AM

528 posts, read 1,033,550 times
Quote:
We do intend doing everything the correct way.
I did not mean to imply that you didn't - sorry if I came off that way. It's just that sometimes the best intentions can be misinterpreted by those enforcing the law, and with immigration issues (especially nowadays), there's not much room for error and even less forgiveness as far as our government is concerned.

What I meant to say was that if you are here on a tourist visa and are doing anything but being a "tourist," they may consider you to be "out of status." That means if you're shopping for places to live, looking at schools, researching all the things you will need to do once you get here for the long term and have some kind of resident visa - if none of that stuff qualifies as "tourist" activities in the eyes of the inspecting officer at the port of entry (for you, the airport), there's a better than average chance that you'll get sent back to get the proper visa.

But I second the recommendation to get an attorney who specializes in immigration law. My information is about 10 years old, but I bring it up because I'd imagine they might be more stringent, post 9-11. And in any case, I don't believe the Immigration and Nationality Act has seen a major overhaul since 1996, so the same laws are should still be in effect.

In any case, you're ahead of the game already by wanting to do things the right way. People have far more problems when they try to cut corners, in my experience. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:42 PM

Spain Brit-would appreciate the info just in case.

Been around- no I didnt take it wrongly -cheers for the info.
The L visas are an option although the nursing route is favourite , as that will release more money for our home. If I do have to buy or create a company its a couple of hundred thousand bucks down the swanee. And that could get Mrs S her home by the beach !

I know what an impact 9/11 had- my best friend lives on Long Island and I went to Ground Zero in the november of 2001, it was the most humbling experience of my life. Sadly the knock on effect has been that geniune wanna be immigrants are suffering. If only we could make US Immigration belive that but I think there is more chance of Elvis being found alive !

At the end of the day we WILL be Floridians soon - cant wait.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:04 PM

162 posts, read 307,062 times
To the sunshine's,
Ustedes se pueden quedar el tiempo que deseen, mientras su visa asi lo permita. For the one speaking spanish, lol.
You can extend your visit beyond the six months entry, but like somebody said, you will have to prove you are not and wont break the law. Immigration wiil have the last word. Contact Mr Rosenow at El Nuevo Herald, a Miami based newspaper. This guy specializes in immigration issues and he is a lawyer as well.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:08 PM

250 posts, read 1,404,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
Been around- the reason my wife asks is that we do intend to move legally on a work visa (sha is a nurse) but knowing that may take time , another thought is we come and stay for 6-12 months as tourists while her apllciation is being processed. We do intend doing everything the correct way. Our house will be built in Rotonda by the time we come and I am in the fortunate position of bieng able to run my business in the Uk by 'popping back' once a month. Neither of us intend to work in the US whilst on a 6 monther.

In short we want to come asap -legally- and contrubute something to our new homeland.

PS M/s Tucker-thanks for the help :-p
PM me i am a nurse and will be able to direct you to others that have gone down this road as well as myself

Old 03-12-2008, 04:27 PM
dpc

29 posts, read 124,364 times
Spainbrit, is there any chance that you could pass on the name and contact details of your immigration attourney,
Many thanks
DPC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration