Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:08 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,270,846 times

Advertisements

I take an Aussie friend out on BLM lands to shoot handguns and long guns every time he flies in but I live in ID and lived in UT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 07:30 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,957,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
One of my friends is going to California, Georgia and Massachussets while in the US from mid-July to the end of August this year. She's an Irish citizen and 20 years old. She wants to get the experience of a handgun as she's never touched one let alone used any before in her life.

I'm not American and don't live there so I have no clue about gun laws though I do believe that they vary by state. I've seen conflicting info on Google from other forums about whether they can or can't but I just want to clarify here.
Laws vary by state, safety varies by gun range. Some will collect your ID and your money and give you a firearm and let you go to it with minimal supervision. Make sure you tell the owner it's the first time this person handled a gun. They will give you ear and eye protection as well.
Some ranges rent automatic weapons and actually make a business out of it...with careful on hand and personal supervision. I would just do a google search for the cities she will be in and the web site or maybe some reviews will give you an idea of the professionalism of the place. Try to get an outdoor range, much more enjoyable.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:18 AM

15,841 posts, read 20,644,735 times
Mass is a no-go. There are quite a few ranges here, but they are mostly private ranges, so you'd need to go there with a member to shoot. There are only 2 ranges that I am aware of that will rent firearms to the general public, and neither will rent to a non US citizen.

Georgia is the state that I would look into. The laws there are much more lax than MA or CA.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:37 AM

1,020 posts, read 812,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Georgia is the state that I would look into. The laws there are much more lax than MA or CA.

What BostonMike said^^^. I imagine the OP may not know, since he's not in the US, that certain states are considered more gun friendly than others. It runs the range from states like NY that are very, very strict, to many states in the west that are super lenient. In general, the more gun friendly states are in the south & in the west, with the exception of CA. Of the 3 she's going to, GA is going to be her best bet. Or if she wants to expand her visit when she's in CA, to one of the western states, states like NV, AZ, CO, NM, ID, MT tend to be very gun friendly.

I didn't call my range, b/c it's private, so I called a public range this AM & they said you do not need to be a citizen, you just need a photo ID. However, you must be 21 to shoot pistols, 18 to shoot rifles. I live in a gun friendly state. I suspect each range sets their own rules, so she'll just have to check with some where she is going. Does she have a friend she'll be staying with in GA? That would be the ideal scenario, is a friend can take her & teach her at the same time. BTW, I prefer indoor ranges myself.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,642,875 times
Cody, Wyoming has a shooting range that serves primarily tourists. Rentals range from .22 handguns to a Gatling Gun copy. Foreign tourists are welcome. Since Cody is just fifty miles east of Yellowstone, there are many foreign tourists in the summer.

Antiques (made before 1899) and black powder guns (guns that do not fire fixed ammunition) are unregulated under federal law. Most states, including California, do not regulate black powder guns. Antiques vary by state. Most states are fine, but do check.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:18 PM

146 posts, read 176,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Cody, Wyoming has a shooting range that serves primarily tourists. Rentals range from .22 handguns to a Gatling Gun copy. Foreign tourists are welcome. Since Cody is just fifty miles east of Yellowstone, there are many foreign tourists in the summer.

Antiques (made before 1899) and black powder guns (guns that do not fire fixed ammunition) are unregulated under federal law. Most states, including California, do not regulate black powder guns. Antiques vary by state. Most states are fine, but do check.
Nice, Are the age requirements 21?

Old 06-23-2017, 11:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,642,875 times
Quote:
Wyoming has no age restrictions for shooters. I don't know what other states' requirements are. Call a range in the state you are considering for a visit. You can search for them.

Many families shoot together all over the country.

Doesn't Northern Ireland have ranges? I know that UK gun laws don't apply there.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:32 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,272,569 times
Quote:
One of my friends is going to California, Georgia and Massachussets while in the US from mid-July to the end of August this year. She's an Irish citizen and 20 years old. She wants to get the experience of a handgun as she's never touched one let alone used any before in her life.

I'm not American and don't live there so I have no clue about gun laws though I do believe that they vary by state. I've seen conflicting info on Google from other forums about whether they can or can't but I just want to clarify here.
In Nevada there are gun ranges where you can rent a gun and shoot.

The short answer is yes.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:54 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,894,762 times
Gun laws vary wildly from state to state.

Of the 3 states she will be visiting GA is definitely the most gun rights friendly of them.

In 3seconds of Google I found this,

https://www.quora.com/What-should-a-...nges-in-the-US

Here is a random shooting range I found in the Atlanta area and their rules. It definitely looks like they accept international tourist shooters.
Quickshot Shooting Range

Quickshot Shooting Range

Give them a call or look up other shooting range and give them a call.

It she has 0 firearm experience I would definitely recommend paying a little extra for a class and instruction. It will go a long way to a safe, positive and confident experience.

Good luck and happy shooting

Old 07-01-2017, 03:38 PM

12,435 posts, read 8,225,382 times
Quote:
In California you do need to be 21 to purchase the ammunition. Tourist coming to shoot is a not ignored part of the business in ranges near the international airports. Most require a party of at least two before they will rent you a weapon to cut down on someone renting to commit suicide at their firing range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration