Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:53 PM

82 posts, read 199,313 times

Advertisements

Steve - thank you for your service in what many have dubbed the "forgotten' War. My wife is an Australian citizen who became a legal permanent resident in 2000 and since she arrived the law has required her to be a lawful resident for 10 years before she can solicit citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 04:47 PM

281 posts, read 446,681 times
Was your wife worthy though? The reason I'm asking is that apparantly it's not even enough to put your life on the line for this country, it'll just 'go a long way'...

Old 03-01-2009, 08:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
Was your wife worthy though? The reason I'm asking is that apparantly it's not even enough to put your life on the line for this country, it'll just 'go a long way'...
Your point being?

Mr Cobos and his wife obviously played by the rules----------which X'es out illegal aliens.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Good enough to die for us, but not good enough to be a citizen?

[moderator cut: copyright violation]

'Green-card Marine' prepares for 3rd deployment - CNN.com
It's well known that illegals will sign on to the military primarily as a way to gain citizenship.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:25 PM

281 posts, read 446,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Your point being?

Mr Cobos and his wife obviously played by the rules----------which X'es out illegal aliens.
What do illegal aliens have to do with any of this?

Old 03-02-2009, 05:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
As of 2001, any non-US citizen who is honorably discharged from the military, after a minimum period of three years on Active Duty, may apply for US citizenship.

As a Vietnam vet who served with non-US citizens in the Marine Corps, I have no problems with granting anyone who willingly risks their life to serve this nation be rewarded with citizenship. It is the very least we can do, and it should embarrass all those US citizens who couldn't be bothered to serve.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
It's well known that illegals will sign on to the military primarily as a way to gain citizenship.
Paying dues is paying dues.

What brach did you serve in?

Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,202 times
I think you can become a citizen after 3 years if you are serving in the military. But you have to apply. Whats the big deal? I am applying this year. I have been here 10 years so it is about time I think.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,529 times
u guys that criticize this marine arent supposed to do so. u guys arent serving your on country, and you dont appreciate someone that is serving. this is evil. there are numerous people like me willing and (i believe ) able to serve in the marines or us army and want to. But the require especially that of being a u.s citizen denies us the chance. appreiciate those whom have and are still serving. I personally am doing it cause i want to explore the military lifestlye, and the u.s. has one of the best servies and options and weapons for me, so i am going for it, not for some green-card or to be a u.s. citizen. i am okay with my citienzenship of nigeria and permanent resident of canada

Old 04-07-2009, 06:57 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobi View Post
u guys that criticize this marine arent supposed to do so. u guys arent serving your on country, and you dont appreciate someone that is serving. this is evil. there are numerous people like me willing and (i believe ) able to serve in the marines or us army and want to. But the require especially that of being a u.s citizen denies us the chance. appreiciate those whom have and are still serving. I personally am doing it cause i want to explore the military lifestlye, and the u.s. has one of the best servies and options and weapons for me, so i am going for it, not for some green-card or to be a u.s. citizen. i am okay with my citienzenship of nigeria and permanent resident of canada
Legal immigrants are welcome here-------------------besides; one need not be a US citizen to join the US Armed Forces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration