Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 07:51 AM

23 posts, read 32,933 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to Australia, though my line of work is not on their skill shortage list. I've looked into Australia's working holiday visa, but that visa is very restrictive unfortunately. Besides marrying an Australian, what options do I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 02:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel360 View Post
I would like to move to Australia, though my line of work is not on their skill shortage list. I've looked into Australia's working holiday visa, but that visa is very restrictive unfortunately. Besides marrying an Australian, what options do I have?
Continue with your aviation education, remain in America and visit Australia when you can...and then take it from there if you're so inclined to move there.

The US is facing a serious shortage of airline pilots

https://www.city-data.com/forum/aviat...ne-pilots.html

Old 01-04-2019, 07:13 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,895 times
Australia's immigration policy is quite restrictive. Even if you find an Aussie to marry you will pay several thousands of dollars in visa fees, have your application subjected to a lot of investigating to show it is a genuine relationship and probably have to wait a couple of years for it to go through.

Do not fall into the trap of coming on a tourist visa and overstaying. Americans are one of the largest groups who are detained in immigration detention centres before being deported.

A friend's daughter-in-law who is a citizen but was born in Asia was wanting to bring her mother for a visit. The mother has just been knocked back as she required a medical and they found something of concern. Even to visit is not necessarily straight forward.

I would suggest you concentrate on finding an appropriate career in your own country, build up funds to travel extensively and you may find that you live in a priveleged place anyway. Australia offers an improved life for many people from developing countries who appreciate our infrastructure, rule of law and opportunities. For those from developed countries the benefits can be marginal, at the best.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:42 AM

1,279 posts, read 853,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel360 View Post
Change careers.

Or does Australia give visas to investors who invest a certain amount of money in the country? If so, is that an option? Sometimes you can qualify buy buying a house.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:06 AM

There is an investor visa which costs about $US5,000 and requires an investment of about $US1,000,000. This gives you a temporary visa for about four years.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:56 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
There is an investor visa which costs about $US5,000 and requires an investment of about $US1,000,000. This gives you a temporary visa for about four years.
Yeah and factoring in your previous post the Aussie govt has made it very clear they do not care for Americans - Great reciprocation considering the fact that Aussies enter and exit USA with virtually no scrutiny as well as the 1 year working holiday we give them.

One of our vendor reps is from down under he was approved for an O-1 Visa sponsored by his Australian employer (They have an office here in NYC). Seems pretty easy for an Australian to work here multiple years either through an Aussie employer or large multi-national US employer.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Yeah and factoring in your previous post the Aussie govt has made it very clear they do not care for Americans - Great reciprocation considering the fact that Aussies enter and exit USA with virtually no scrutiny as well as the 1 year working holiday we give them.

One of our vendor reps is from down under he was approved for an O-1 Visa sponsored by his Australian employer (They have an office here in NYC). Seems pretty easy for an Australian to work here multiple years either through an Aussie employer or large multi-national US employer.
Our immigration system neither favours nor discriminates against Americans or for that matter, other English speaking nations. With the exception of New Zealand where there is two way fairly free movement.For many years we had an official white Australia policy which was racially discriminatory. It has been completely replaced by the points based policy which gives no extra points to applicants from particular countries or from particular races or ethnic groups.

I did not think it was easy for Australians to obtain visas for the US. My kids both worked on some sort of temporary visas when they were still studying but I thought it was difficult to get permanent visas. We have to get an online ESTA to enter the US, but that is a big improvement on the visas that were required years ago.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:07 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Our immigration system neither favours nor discriminates against Americans or for that matter, other English speaking nations. With the exception of New Zealand where there is two way fairly free movement.For many years we had an official white Australia policy which was racially discriminatory. It has been completely replaced by the points based policy which gives no extra points to applicants from particular countries or from particular races or ethnic groups.

I did not think it was easy for Australians to obtain visas for the US. My kids both worked on some sort of temporary visas when they were still studying but I thought it was difficult to get permanent visas. We have to get an online ESTA to enter the US, but that is a big improvement on the visas that were required years ago.
Read up on Australian in uscis.gov. Basically all Aussies need is an offer of employment. I do not know what you mean by "permanent visa". There is no such thing. Visas have life spans; some can get renewed.

Prior to ESTA we simply dropped passports off at a travel agency who handled the visa procedure for a nominal fee. Considering it was valid for ten years - not a big deal.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Read up on Australian in uscis.gov. Basically all Aussies need is an offer of employment. I do not know what you mean by "permanent visa". There is no such thing. Visas have life spans; some can get renewed.

Prior to ESTA we simply dropped passports off at a travel agency who handled the visa procedure for a nominal fee. Considering it was valid for ten years - not a big deal.
Australian permanent resident visas generally enable people to remain in Australia indefinitely. Such people can after some time qualify for citizenship. A permanent visa usually entitles people to Medicare (healthcare) and a after various waiting times to access social welfare payments.

I would have thought the US would have some similar visas. I have no great interest in researching it these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration