Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 02:57 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
To the people suggesting you can get away with working at a W2 or 1099 job and not pay taxes... Unless you work with a fake identity, but to do that there would have to be major security holes or corruption in multiple government branches for their to be tens of thousands or more people doing it..

One way to put everyone's mind at ease is for "conservatives" to stop hiring illegals for all those food processing plants and construction and landscaping companies... If people can retire off a years salary just by jumping a fence and social networking, then guess what they are going to do? If there is less money in the US than their own country, then guess what they are going to do??

Don't complain about it on the internet while you're part of the problem.....
Nobody is suggesting that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 03:32 PM

997 posts, read 711,134 times
You will have to prove to immigration that you are truly in a married relationship if you want citizenship. They will interview both of you separately. They might ask for documentation like pictures, proof you are living in the US, and ask you about your routines.
I was a green card holder but am now a citizen.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:39 PM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
You will have to prove to immigration that you are truly in a married relationship if you want citizenship. They will interview both of you separately. They might ask for documentation like pictures, proof you are living in the US, and ask you about your routines.
I was a green card holder but am now a citizen.
You are incorrect. As long as the marriage was entered in good faith removal of conditions can be handled by the non-US party as well as naturalization.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:09 AM

834 posts, read 1,017,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are exceptions for extremely low income but in your case the husband’s income may be considered in your tax liability, if you lived together at all and he supported you during the year, even if filing separately.

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-ne...e-a-tax-return
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
It all depends on how the USCIS IO views your case. Some are strict, some are not. I tell my students that it is a good idea to file for taxes, or at least show that your income was below the minimum necessary to file for taxes. You never know if this will deny your application or pass you through anyway. I would bring as much information as possible.

As far as your attaining U.S. citizenship, I wish you luck. I heard (just rumors) that the new application for release 3/20/19 is going to have different vacation limits and other changes.

We will know soon enough. At any rate, the USCIS may ask: "Who is paying for you if you only made $2K last year? We are not sure we want to support you." If you are not supporting yourself and you are separated, who is supporting you? You can not lie. If you do and they figure it out, lying to an IO is a deportable offense. Maybe consult a lawyer.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
I agree.

I just am not sure about the CPA rules and tax laws. This question is best answered by a CPA (Certified Public Accountant).
I know people who have not filed and think that it is O.K. when they apply for U.S/ citizenship.
It may or may not be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Section 8 and other programs, should NOT be accessible for aliens unless they have paid at a minimum 10 years into the system or longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Nobody is suggesting that though.

I didn't read the thread but let me just go ahead and say you're misinterpreting and potentially setup for some virtue signalling.. Seems a common theme on internet forums these days.. I guess cause it became too easy to use software and everyone flocked to become philosophy, law, and STEM prodigy personas..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration