Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,186 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have a question I am a green card holder and my husband and I saparated this year but we still married I only made 2000$ this year, do I need to file taxes ? Just worry if I don’t it’s will affect my citizenship application
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 07:40 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifigue View Post
Hi. I have a question I am a green card holder and my husband and I saparated this year but we still married I only made 2000$ this year, do I need to file taxes ? Just worry if I don’t it’s will affect my citizenship application
By law everyone who earns or otherwise receives income above a certain amount in the USA is required to file a tax return, even if they do not owe.

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-ne...e-a-tax-return

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips...turn/L7pluHkoW

Legal residents are not exempt from this requirement.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
There are exceptions for extremely low income but in your case the husband’s income may be considered in your tax liability, if you lived together at all and he supported you during the year, even if filing separately.

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-ne...e-a-tax-return

Old 02-16-2019, 08:50 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Yes, it will affect a Citizenship application. There is a specific question on the application about it. File and pay your taxes before applying.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:30 PM

6,826 posts, read 11,556,490 times
Even if you don’t owe taxes, if you had taxes withheld you have to file to get those refunded to you.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:11 PM

7 posts, read 4,553 times
Even if you were not a green card holder I would still recommend filing taxes if you lived in the country for half of the year on any status. In future if you ever filed for a petition with the USCIS, non filing of taxes maybe an issue. So I would say file those taxes even if you made below the minimum level required to file.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:44 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,326,483 times
Quote:
Yes, if you were in the US for 183 days last year- meaning a resident.
You can file married filing separately.
You need to discussit it with your husband, if it is better for both of you to file together.
Did you file together last year? Wife and husband filing together are responsible for each other’s taxes. Make sure no cheating going on.
One more point, in the USA you must pay taxes on your world wide income. So if you have an additional income from your home country, but were a resident of US- then you have to include it.
Check your home country for so called double taxation treaty. If your country has such an agreement and you paid taxes in your country-, you may exclude substantial amount of earned income from being taxed in US. You have to have all documentation.
In addition, if you have an account abroad worth $10000 - you need to inform IRS about it. I think it means you need to use a full form 1040
How long did you marriage last.
Hope, it is not an” immigration” marriage. How can you survive in the US on 2000$?
Something just does not add up to me.

Last edited by Nik4me; 02-18-2019 at 04:07 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 06:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,186 times
We been married for more then 4years( almost five this summer) We saparated in October 2018 and I only make this little money because my husband supported me and still helps me . Due to my helth issues I can’t keep working , and my husband is busy with school and he doesn’t have time to file for divorce . And yes we filed together every single year )

Old 03-04-2019, 05:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Yes.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:51 PM

535 posts, read 343,882 times
It all depends on how the USCIS IO views your case. Some are strict, some are not. I tell my students that it is a good idea to file for taxes, or at least show that your income was below the minimum necessary to file for taxes. You never know if this will deny your application or pass you through anyway. I would bring as much information as possible.

As far as your attaining U.S. citizenship, I wish you luck. I heard (just rumors) that the new application for release 3/20/19 is going to have different vacation limits and other changes.

We will know soon enough. At any rate, the USCIS may ask: "Who is paying for you if you only made $2K last year? We are not sure we want to support you." If you are not supporting yourself and you are separated, who is supporting you? You can not lie. If you do and they figure it out, lying to an IO is a deportable offense. Maybe consult a lawyer.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration