Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 01:38 PM

15 posts, read 19,577 times

Advertisements

Moving to another country has been on my mind for while. I would move to the UK or to Australia. I've heard the overall quality of life in Australia is actually better than in the US. There is also a much better work-life balance. My current occupation is not on any shortage list, so I most likely won't get sponsorship. I don't have any family ties to these countries either (as far as I know). 🤔 There are holiday and tourist visas, though I want to move permanently. I naively thought that Americans might get preference in English speaking countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 06:18 PM

24,493 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Australia is a pretty cut and dry point system. If you are not on the shortage list there is always marriage. Per your other posts it does not look like investment. "I have heard" is generally not the best reason to move. If you qualify for work & travel and have a couple of thousand dollars saved up for tickets, fees, getting started and the back to the US - that is an option for a year of fun.

UK was always open for me so I have no info. What is in the UK?

Old 03-05-2019, 06:33 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker10805 View Post
Moving to another country has been on my mind for while. I would move to the UK or to Australia. I've heard the overall quality of life in Australia is actually better than in the US. There is also a much better work-life balance. My current occupation is not on any shortage list, so I most likely won't get sponsorship. I don't have any family ties to these countries either (as far as I know). �� There are holiday and tourist visas, though I want to move permanently. I naively thought that Americans might get preference in English speaking countries.
How old are you and what kind of job skills do you have? That would make a difference in what type of visa you could get and how soon. There are tons of people wanting to immigrate to these countries so they can be picky.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:57 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,841 times
Go to the embassy site of those countries in US and look up what are the requirements for an immigration.
Please be careful and do not land by mistake ( could be very tricky ) on the site of someone trying to get money to “ help” you immigrate.
Mostly scam or rip off,

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...a/visa-listing
I think you have a better chance to immigrate to UK if you are a Refugee from the the Middle East, unless you have enough education, young or have enough money..
https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...nd-immigration

Old 03-05-2019, 08:07 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Every 1st world country has enough regular people living there that they don't need to import more. You need to do some extended travel in a country before you decide to move there. If you have the money, you can go as a college student and live there for years, but they will boot you when you are done.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:21 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
I would start with the job sites - they all (most?) list international jobs. Find one you qualify for and apply. If you do not qualify for any, start training for the ones that interest you most.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:55 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Every 1st world country has enough regular people living there that they don't need to import more. You need to do some extended travel in a country before you decide to move there. If you have the money, you can go as a college student and live there for years, but they will boot you when you are done.
I was also going to say, regarding college, some countries have age limits for study-abroad programs and student visas.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:43 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Are you under 30 years old? You can get a special visa.

https://www.sheswanderful.com/2016/0...ia-for-a-year/

Otherwise get a degree and a job on the list.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:18 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
We have friends that move to the New Zealand...

They had many positives and owned a home, employment and stuck it out for 8 years before coming back to the United States...

They said even after 8 years it still seemed to them they were visitors...

I know it does work for some but actually living and working is a reality check...

Old 03-06-2019, 11:53 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
We have friends that move to the New Zealand...

They had many positives and owned a home, employment and stuck it out for 8 years before coming back to the United States...

They said even after 8 years it still seemed to them they were visitors...

I know it does work for some but actually living and working is a reality check...
Curious to know why your friends still felt like visitors even after 8 years. Maybe once the locals found out they had Americans, they treated them differently? Because there are plenty of immigrants who live in somewhere else for the rest of their lives, even non-English speakers, so I guess being immigrants weren't right for your friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration