Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 01:55 PM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Maybe, but it’s 100% true.
Nah, it's dumb. People lose their wallets due to factors outside their control every single day, suddenly arguing that one category should be held to a higher standard for whatever reason isn't really worth considering seriously.

Combining an always-carry requirement with a one-year replacement time is merely guaranteeing that some permanent residents will be in violation, no matter what they do to stay within the rules. Now, that is not new - the USCIS and predecessors are (in)famous for coming up with contradictory rules that force people into violation, that's one of the reasons that pretty much anyone who's been in touch with them hold those organizations in such contempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 04:04 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Nah, it's dumb. People lose their wallets due to factors outside their control every single day, suddenly arguing that one category should be held to a higher standard for whatever reason isn't really worth considering seriously.

Combining an always-carry requirement with a one-year replacement time is merely guaranteeing that some permanent residents will be in violation, no matter what they do to stay within the rules. Now, that is not new - the USCIS and predecessors are (in)famous for coming up with contradictory rules that force people into violation, that's one of the reasons that pretty much anyone who's been in touch with them hold those organizations in such contempt.
I never carried mine (citizen now and don’t carry my passport or naturalization certificate either) except when traveling outside the country. But as you said in an earlier post, with a state driver’s license and being white you generally don’t get asked your immigration status except at a border.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:55 PM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I never carried mine (citizen now and don’t carry my passport or naturalization certificate either) except when traveling outside the country. But as you said in an earlier post, with a state driver’s license and being white you generally don’t get asked your immigration status except at a border.
Heh - I was once rear-ended by some obnoxious old bat who heard my accent and thought she'd gain an upper hand by requesting to see my GC, for some unfathomable reason. There I was all set to ignore the minor dent in the absolute junker 15-year-old Nissan Sentra I drove at the time, but if she was going to make it like that? "Sorry, ma'am, but unless you're immigration authorities, you do not get to see that. Now, I believe we need to exchange insurance information, please?" Higher rates for her and a check that went to a new Shoei helmet for me. Good times.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:08 PM

427 posts, read 245,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It’s not. You’re supposed to carry the actual card with you. If you (generic you) can’t be responsible with something as important as a green card, maybe you shouldn’t have one.
I am an American citizen studying in Russia. I keep my passport in my desk in the dorm and I carry copies with me in my wallet, because in Russia, you always have to have documents with you.

I’m responsible enough to know that I’m too irresponsible to carry my passport with me everywhere, and that spending three hours at a Russian police station because they won’t accept my photocopies is a better alternative to losing my passport and trying to drive 22 hours to the closest US embassy.

That is the responsible thing to do.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
Yes indeed!

I could see applying for one for the first time costing $540 and taking six months. (still seems like a long time, but considering the wheels of govt. turn so slowly.)

But $540 to replace a lost card and then it takes that long?!

Sounds like a racket...

Thanks for your replies folks!

Geez, decisions, decisions!

Thx
More like a year.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:42 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
I am an American citizen studying in Russia. I keep my passport in my desk in the dorm and I carry copies with me in my wallet, because in Russia, you always have to have documents with you.

I’m responsible enough to know that I’m too irresponsible to carry my passport with me everywhere, and that spending three hours at a Russian police station because they won’t accept my photocopies is a better alternative to losing my passport and trying to drive 22 hours to the closest US embassy.

That is the responsible thing to do.
Technically, you need to carry them in the US as well, but I'm not sure everyone does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration