Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2021, 01:18 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
My mother, born in 1910, was a 7th generation American of German/French ethnicity growing up in a lead mining town in southeast Missouri during WW1.

Many local ethnic German families were run out of town after the US declared war on Germany because of extreme xenophobic prejudice.
My Ethnic German (4th generation American) grandpa was allowed to stay because his wife (my grandma) was from an old ethnic French family.
Then again, Grandpa was the only engineer who could keep the machinery running in the huge lead mine where he worked.
And that is in spite of the fact that his grandfather had fought alongside his fellow townspeople in the Civil War. Go figure.

My mom said that when the US joined the war, her lifelong childhood friends ostracized her for the duration, often calling her names (kraut, heinie, Kaiser kid, etc,). But when the war was over they did a complete reversal and befriended her again.
But she never forgot.

^
This.

If you are a "European immigrant" of this kind, you'll get a red carpet in the US.

Make a wild guess why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 02:58 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,557 times
Thirty plus, years here, and nary an issue.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:28 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirmione904 View Post
No one likes arrogant American attitude like this...
Question:

Do you pay for my security or do I pay for yours? Does your country call me or my country call you when it really hits the fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Ha. Yes I've left Tennessee. I've traveled most of the world. I lived in ultra-liberal West Hollywood for a couple years, does that satisfy you?
Europeans are jealous, there's virtually every and any weather pattern and landscape, you think they don't want to buy a huge Suburban and enjoy $1.50 gas and the V8 power, and drive it on our huge roads and enjoy our huge country, and have guns, you're delusional.
a.
Wow, that didn't age well. Just highlighting my own post bc someone else brought it up Cheap gas? That's a thing of the past. Thanks O'Biden. Even so I just bought a V8 12MPG LX570 and smirk every time I gun it and listen to the engine.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:22 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
My mother, born in 1910, was a 7th generation American of German/French ethnicity growing up in a lead mining town in southeast Missouri during WW1.

Many local ethnic German families were run out of town after the US declared war on Germany because of extreme xenophobic prejudice.
My Ethnic German (4th generation American) grandpa was allowed to stay because his wife (my grandma) was from an old ethnic French family.
Then again, Grandpa was the only engineer who could keep the machinery running in the huge lead mine where he worked.
And that is in spite of the fact that his grandfather had fought alongside his fellow townspeople in the Civil War. Go figure.

My mom said that when the US joined the war, her lifelong childhood friends ostracized her for the duration, often calling her names (kraut, heinie, Kaiser kid, etc,). But when the war was over they did a complete reversal and befriended her again.
But she never forgot.
Don’t even bother. All the WWII empathy is devoted to Japanese Americans. Most people are completely unaware of the severe prejudice against Germans and to some extent Italians during and after the war. General Yamamoto studied at Harvard University in the name of diversity, and used his knowledge to attack the U.S. What’s so ironic about the Japanese, particularly those who immigrated to the US after the war, specifically the fighter pilots, like the pilot that bombed the Oklahoma, they were allowed in, and given the red carpet.

Meanwhile, long after the war we had Nazi hunters, most of them Jews, that are allowed to hunt down ex-Nazis, and bring them to trial. Why is it we’re so good to the Japanese, the very people that tried to kill us, after the war? Yet, didn’t exonerate the Germans in the same manner that we did the Japanese?

Old 09-21-2021, 06:29 AM

1,303 posts, read 852,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Don’t even bother. All the WWII empathy is devoted to Japanese Americans. Most people are completely unaware of the severe prejudice against Germans and to some extent Italians during and after the war. General Yamamoto studied at Harvard University in the name of diversity, and used his knowledge to attack the U.S. What’s so ironic about the Japanese, particularly those who immigrated to the US after the war, specifically the fighter pilots, like the pilot that bombed the Oklahoma, they were allowed in, and given the red carpet.

Meanwhile, long after the war we had Nazi hunters, most of them Jews, that are allowed to hunt down ex-Nazis, and bring them to trial. Why is it we’re so good to the Japanese, the very people that tried to kill us, after the war? Yet, didn’t exonerate the Germans in the same manner that we did the Japanese?
very true
and Japan has never apologized for their crimes or paid for them

germans treated western POWs a lot more humanely [hell better than how we treated germans ]

The biggest evidence of german prejudice is 99 percent german americans cant even speak german , german culture is limited to getting drunk at oktoberfest and nobody has any idea of the contribution of germans to science social work medicine etc industrial revolution. German SHOULD be a second language in the midwest but has disappeared and hard to even find a decent german restaurant

Next time somebody makes u feel guilty about the A bombs against japan ask them do the japanese feel sorry about Nanking or the death march ?

btw im not of german descent not even white so I'm trying to be objective here , but nazi top brass were criminals no doubt and deserved their fate but not every german who served in military [ most of them did so bravely and honorably ]. Eichmann was not tortured or killed in israel as far as we know given a trial and hanged so much better fate than most of his victims and his sons were not harmed by israelis

Old 09-21-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I believe you are correct.
Who would have thought our cold, tight-assed German ancestors liked to have more sex?
more kids mean more power back in the days
germans dominated all of eastern europe too , hopefully catholic faith helped with family planning [or lack of it]
hell an empress of russia was a german

Old 09-21-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
OP, I'm in California and although I can't say that I have been the target of blatant racism, I can relate to what said about "European immigrants" being PC xenophobia targets. Note that I have noticed it the most coming from AA first, and Hispanics second. They tend to emphasize their "americanness" as way to feel superior and symbolically have their "revenge on White people". White Americans can also do it, but I have notice more curiosity than hostility coming from them.
true i see that too esp amongst the poorer white european immigrants they have hard time getting social services and benefits and language barrier works against them

Old 09-22-2021, 08:57 AM

24,521 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
true i see that too esp amongst the poorer white european immigrants they have hard time getting social services and benefits and language barrier works against them
You may want to do some research about immigrants and social services in the US.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:46 AM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
To answer the original question, I feel like I am treated no differently than everyone else by ordinary people. Not being an American citizen does exclude you from a range of jobs in government and government-related fields though which is not an irrelevant factor in this area, so that is one disadvantage.

Old 10-16-2021, 12:32 AM

24 posts, read 25,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
very true
and Japan has never apologized for their crimes or paid for them
I always wonder why people believe this. I’m Japanese and as far as I know, Japan apologized numerous times. It’s so frustrating that world media never report it no matter how many times we apologize. Also, Japan paid huge amount of money after the war to Korea and China. I never heard Germany paid huge money to the countries they invaded. Unfortunately most Korean and Chinese people don’t know this fact because their Governments wanted keep it secret to their people mainly because they want Japan to be a target of people’s frustration. Every time the Governments lose people’s support, they agitate anti-Japan propaganda to distract people’s anger. So “Japan has never apologized” propaganda is a great tool to manipulate their people. To set their anger towards Japan instead of the Government, Japan’s apology and huge payment should never been known to the people.

Recently, Japanese people are tired of foreigners saying “Japan has never apologized” which is totally a lie. No matter what we say, if media doesn’t report, nobody will know. It’s sad this false story is widely believed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration