U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 02:05 PM

11 posts, read 4,692 times

Advertisements

So I am 55 and would like to retire and marry my fiancee who lives in Canada. She has young kids so she can't move here. I am in good health and hope to still work at least 10 more years (once Canada allows me to work). Of course, she will sponsor me. I have a decent size 401 k I can take at 55 and a pension I can take either at 55 or 60. Does this seem like something Canada will allow? Can she sponsor me without us getting married or should we marry first? We have been together for 4 years. She is on disability because of an illness and I am sure once she marries me she will lose it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 03:51 PM

242 posts, read 96,815 times
Gosh..my red flags are flying and alarm bells are going off...but that's just me.

Those are some pretty loaded questions with a lot of possible outcomes. My diplomatic response would be to talk with professionals for advice. Attorney, CPA, Financial Planner...etc. You could even try calling in to The Dave Ramsey Radio Show. It's broadcast live on YouTube too.

Good Luck and hope it works out for you.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:08 PM

I am talking to a CPA and financial advisor. The scary thing is she will lose a lot of benefits once she gets married to me(finding that info is not easy) and yet I might not be able to move there for a bit. So we would have to live in 2 places just on my income. Maintaining 2 households is not going to be cheap. That's the scary part.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:40 AM

Financial wise I know this is all not the best idea but I can't do the long distance thing 5 more years

Old 09-12-2019, 10:47 AM

Also does anyone know if she would lose her disability once we get married?

Old 09-12-2019, 06:23 PM

8,323 posts, read 14,401,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scum1 View Post
So I am 55 and would like to retire and marry my fiancee who lives in Canada. She has young kids so she can't move here. I am in good health and hope to still work at least 10 more years (once Canada allows me to work). Of course, she will sponsor me. I have a decent size 401 k I can take at 55 and a pension I can take either at 55 or 60. Does this seem like something Canada will allow? Can she sponsor me without us getting married or should we marry first? We have been together for 4 years. She is on disability because of an illness and I am sure once she marries me she will lose it.
As CentralUSHomeowner said, lots of red flags here.

First, why would having young kids prevent her from moving to the U.S.? Since she is not working now and you ARE, it would seem to be easier for her to simply move to the U.S. and for you to keep your job, since you will now have to support her and her young kids. (Sounds like she is a lot younger than you? No judgment here, just a realization that you are taking on something huge at the age of 55!)

Is she getting disability under CPP (Canada's pension plan)? I did a quick google search and didn't see anything about marriage making the person lose benefits. Seems like she should simply be able to call her local office and find out for sure -- no?

RE: sponsorship, though, I found this at https://www.myvisasource.com/blog/ca...ome-a-canadian : "A sponsorship agreement states that you’ll provide the basic requirements of life (food, shelter, clothing, and health needs not covered by provincial health plans)." So it's saying that SHE would have to have the income to support YOU. Not sure if someone whose only income is her disability payment could meet those requirements?

Anyway, I think you need to speak with an immigration lawyer. Wish I could be more help, but you have to abide my Canadian rules and it's not clear what they are. I wish you luck, whatever you decide.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:23 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,204,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
(Sounds like she is a lot younger than you? No judgment here, just a realization that you are taking on something huge at the age of 55!)
And so is she, if OP is truly well older-- she is disabled herself and may have to take on caregiving duties for an older spouse in future?

Old 09-13-2019, 12:38 AM

2,023 posts, read 797,443 times
Is there some reason you couldn't just live together?

Old 09-13-2019, 11:37 AM

Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
As CentralUSHomeowner said, lots of red flags here.

First, why would having young kids prevent her from moving to the U.S.? Since she is not working now and you ARE, it would seem to be easier for her to simply move to the U.S. and for you to keep your job, since you will now have to support her and her young kids. (Sounds like she is a lot younger than you? No judgment here, just a realization that you are taking on something huge at the age of 55!)

Is she getting disability under CPP (Canada's pension plan)? I did a quick google search and didn't see anything about marriage making the person lose benefits. Seems like she should simply be able to call her local office and find out for sure -- no?

RE: sponsorship, though, I found this at https://www.myvisasource.com/blog/ca...ome-a-canadian : "A sponsorship agreement states that you’ll provide the basic requirements of life (food, shelter, clothing, and health needs not covered by provincial health plans)." So it's saying that SHE would have to have the income to support YOU. Not sure if someone whose only income is her disability payment could meet those requirements?

Anyway, I think you need to speak with an immigration lawyer. Wish I could be more help, but you have to abide my Canadian rules and it's not clear what they are. I wish you luck, whatever you decide.
The kid's biological dad will not let her move the kids out of the country

She is on Saskatchewan Assured Income for Disability which she can use as a means to support me

I read on government sites you can sponsor someone if
You’re able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability

Calling so far has been a joke with calls not being returned and also just bringing it up seemed to raise red flags with them and could lead to an investigation of her disability which would be a pain and could suspend her payments during the investigation

Old 09-13-2019, 12:00 PM

16,821 posts, read 2,027,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Is there some reason you couldn't just live together?
It is called "visa".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration