Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 08:13 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
So now we're North Korea if we prefer that people who come here to live don't LOATHE our country??....

Mr. Kafka, meet Mr. Dilbert............
She’s not going to do anything to harm the country...just as most people who love our country don’t do anything aside from say we live our country, stand for the pledge, etc. so what is really the difference in the end if she does or not? Plenty of people say thy love our country, but they don’t vote, and say many things in the forums that I consider unAmerican which maybe is more dangerous because that does do us harm.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:05 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,035 times
Maybe she has been making untaxed money while waiting to become legal... Maybe she needs to be checked out by the IRS ...... I would call them and see what that say...Maybe she will be leaving ......hope so

Old 10-12-2019, 11:19 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
I think post #8 is the best response, if you feel you want to say something. Then ignore her, she is not worth talking too. She is probably a spoiled rich kid who feels she is better than everyone on else. I didn't read all the posts. Did she say why she moved here in the first place? If she hates it here have you asked her where it is she would like to live, why not live there then?

Maybe say to her I don't know if I could say the pledge to a country that you hate as much as you say you do, why did you? Just curious.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 10-12-2019 at 11:28 PM..

Old 10-13-2019, 03:13 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sorry for the bizarre thread title, I am just really a bit flabbergasted by this.

I have a colleague who absolutely HATES the United States ... as in, I've known this person for more than 15 years and have NEVER heard one good word about the U.S. (and have heard a zillion words saying why it's a disgusting, horrible, racist country).

I knew she had a green card (which honestly, I thought was bad enough), but at a meeting a few weeks ago she mentioned that she had just become a U.S. CITIZEN. I was so horrified that I was literally speechless. Of course when I thought about it later, I wished I had said, "Wait a minute, all you have done for the past 15+ years is say how much you HATE this country, so how on earth did you get citizenship?"

And honestly, if I had KNOWN she was applying for U.S. citizenship, I would have protested (as if it would have made any difference). But I didn't.

How on earth does this happen?!
What country did she come from, and what type of commentary did she make to have you believe she hates the U.S.?

Old 10-13-2019, 08:21 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,912,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
So now a requirement of citizenship is to say positive things about the country? Sounds like 1984.
That's you whole take from the subject?

Old 10-13-2019, 10:29 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Some people look at the glass as half full while others see it as half empty. The person may see her entire life as empty and probably has huge personal problems because of her limited narrow vision. Ignore her and be happy yourself. We live in a wonderful country and I'm grateful I don't live that person's head, it must be miserable there.

Let no one disturb or contaminate your happiness.

Last edited by Heidi60; 10-13-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 10-13-2019, 10:58 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
This is likely true some of the time for many people, and much of the time for a few others.

But I have lived in two foreign countries, and surrounded by people from many others, and spent a fair amount of time in a third. You know, the people in these places spend their time thinking about dinner, their love life, the price of eggs, getting new clothes, the next party, their mother's health........and they rarely give a rat's rump about the U.S. or China. When the foreign news comes on TV, unless it is the country next door, they look down and peck away at their cell phones.

I think it is natural - and probably healthy most of the time - to be preoccupied with the minutia of one's own life, but if you are Mr. or Miss Hot you assume the whole room is looking at you all the time and you spend a lot of time checking life out to confirm this. It seems the same with nations and their people to a great degree.

One of the many things that keeps great empires together is the vanity they are the center of everyone's universe.
I agree.

My perspective came from an online conversation with a man in Pakistan when I asked him; 'Who do you think is more susceptible to propaganda; Americans or Pakistanis'?

His answer was 'Americans because America has morals. Pakistan has no morals'. Which I thought was an intriguing answer. Further conversation revealed a long history of conflict between near & west asia, the ME & China, which I was largely unaware of.

I suppose I myself had been susceptible to propaganda in believing that people from those regions did not have a high opinion of America. This could lead to becoming disgruntled with immigrants from there as far as the 'if you don't like it; leave', sentiment. So comparatively, at least; I now believe they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration