Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 09:27 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It really makes me sick that she talks crap about the US and has the nerve to become a citizen. I wonder if she plans to bring her family here next.
My guess is that the OP is not being honest.

She's probably criticizing certain politicians, this offends the OP, and then he claims she "hates the U.S.". Keep in mind the OP has not offered a single example of the claimed "hate".

Old 10-11-2019, 09:37 AM

24,467 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sorry for the bizarre thread title, I am just really a bit flabbergasted by this.
Yes, it is bizzare.

Quote:
I have a colleague who absolutely HATES the United States ... as in, I've known this person for more than 15 years and have NEVER heard one good word about the U.S. (and have heard a zillion words saying why it's a disgusting, horrible, racist country).
You base this on having been around this person 24/7 for 15 years.

Quote:
I knew she had a green card (which honestly, I thought was bad enough), but at a meeting a few weeks ago she mentioned that she had just become a U.S. CITIZEN. I was so horrified that I was literally speechless. Of course when I thought about it later, I wished I had said, "Wait a minute, all you have done for the past 15+ years is say how much you HATE this country, so how on earth did you get citizenship?"
She went through the Green Card process and then through the Naturalization process. That is how she got US citizenship. USCIS.gov explains the process from soup to nuts.

Quote:
And honestly, if I had KNOWN she was applying for U.S. citizenship, I would have protested (as if it would have made any difference). But I didn't.
Protest as in stand up in church objecting to a union? How do you protest someone filing a petition to Naturalization?

Quote:
How on earth does this happen?!
See above - go through the process.

Quote:
And seriously, this person is a member of my 3-person department -- she is someone I have to deal with several times a week. You really do not understand how unpleasant it could get (as if it's not unpleasant enough)? And in academia, simply being ACCUSED of racism is pretty horrendous, especially with the aforementioned "be nice" policies that are being written (ugh!).
Either you stand up for something you believe in and bear the consequences or you do not. The internet has no secrets - you are venting about this person and it is so easy to identify her.

Quote:
I DO think that the next time she even mentions her U.S. citizenship (which she does sometimes at our biweekly department meetings), I will say something. Will report back ...
What do you plan to say?

Quote:
But this particular person has NEVER, in more than 15 years, said ANYTHING even remotely positive about the U.S., in fact quite the opposite (and for that matter, she has never in more than 15 years said anything even remotely positive about our college) ... yet she still got citizenship.
US citizenship is not based upon praising a US employer.

Quote:
No U.S. spouse, no U.S. children. She is from Mexico (from an upper-middle-class family at least, as she paid tens of thousands of dollars for what I would consider to be a fake online Ph.D., i.e. absolutely worthless anywhere else). She goes to Mexico during college breaks, summer, sabbatical, etc. In fact she keeps threatening to apply for a job in Mexico and just leave us altogether. (You can imagine how I respond to that ... ... but it won't happen, she just loves to complain.)
You have known her for 15 years and now you accuse her of her credentials being fake but you have not brought that to the attention of those in charge of credentialing. Just imagine the impact on accreditation and those students who graduated during those 15 years.
Visiting family and traveling is prohibited for Green Card holders and/or US citizens?
You have never looked at alternative employment opportunities? On the other hand you know that she just complains.

This sounds like a lot of sour grapes!

Old 10-11-2019, 10:37 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,899,831 times
Quote:
Sorry for the bizarre thread title, I am just really a bit flabbergasted by this.

I have a colleague who absolutely HATES the United States ... as in, I've known this person for more than 15 years and have NEVER heard one good word about the U.S. (and have heard a zillion words saying why it's a disgusting, horrible, racist country).

I knew she had a green card (which honestly, I thought was bad enough), but at a meeting a few weeks ago she mentioned that she had just become a U.S. CITIZEN. I was so horrified that I was literally speechless. Of course when I thought about it later, I wished I had said, "Wait a minute, all you have done for the past 15+ years is say how much you HATE this country, so how on earth did you get citizenship?"

And honestly, if I had KNOWN she was applying for U.S. citizenship, I would have protested (as if it would have made any difference). But I didn't.

This is common. Liberals have hijacked the immigration/legal system so that we now intentionally scour the globe for people who DETEST our country, and we work to bring them here.
It's all part the left's efforts to destroy America from within.....just as originally planned out by the Marxist Kommisars 80 years ago. (The documents have come out, and the interviews with whistleblowers are on record).
The plan is working well.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:38 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,899,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You can count actual cases of someone being stripped of naturalized citizenship for vocalizing personal view on probably one hand. Hello Freedom of Speech!
How about we just don't let them become Americans in the first place?? Geee........imagine.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:05 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
If I have misunderstood your terms, then a simple clarification would resolve what appeared to be differences.

I would point out that accusing immigrants of being free-loaders is a common accusation, which is why I assumed from your post that in referring to "resources" you meant financial and material things.

Below was your comment about "resources", and it certainly sounded like you were referring to material things.

"Just another person who wants to use up what little resources this country has left. How I see it, she is hear just for the comfort and resources she can not get wherever she migrated from. She does not have to love something to use it up. Always how invasions work. Come in, take what you want, leave the crap behind when you done...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThySeeker View Post
How people see others as paying taxes and garbage like that has nothing to do with what I have experienced. For example, a person like that, for example, is taking away that job that a real American needs.
OK, this is a substantial objection (referring to the woman the OP is talking about), and if other immigrants shared this woman's negative attitudes it would apply to them. But what is not clear is who are the "real Americans" that need her/their jobs. Are you referring to legal resident aliens as opposed to U.S. citizens, or naturalized citizens as opposed to native-born citizens? This seems a salient point, but it is unclear who the "real Americans" are specifically.

Quote:
How you see patriotism and stuff, we look also for honor, credibility, dignity, and respect. Taxes has nothing to do with it. Drug dealers and child molesters pay taxes too.
This particular women is IMO and that of many others a hypocrite with regard to the patriotism that is intrinsic to most people's expectations of a citizen, so there is probably no difference of opinion here.

As far as the moral and ethical qualities that you have enumerated as expectations (i.e. honor, credibility, dignity, and respect), in my experience working and living among immigrants for more than sixty years (most of whom were citizens) these people possessed these qualities to the same degree as native-born Americans, though those from some Asian countries were unusually hard-working employees.)

Quote:
My comments are sound to the original poster.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:12 AM

34,990 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:

I don't know the contents of the citizenship oath, but did she perjure herself?

Old 10-11-2019, 11:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Married to an immigrant so I think I can answer.

Many immigrants think the USA owes them something. They come here thinking the streets are paved with gold and opportunities, but when reality hits and they realize they have to work hard for everything, they become disillusioned and unhappy. I think the real message she's trying to send out is "Americans owe me something." No, they don't.
A very interesting comment on someone elses experience concerning immigrants. It is entirely contrary to my lifelong experience with immigrants in the U.S.

My mother, her parents and siblings were immigrants. And I lived in a small town in western NY state (5,000) where there were many Sicilian immigrants and I went to school with their kids, and there was a much smaller number of Irish, Scots and European Jews. Despite some prejudice against these people, laziness nor disgruntlement were not accusations I ever heard. These immigrants (except for the aged were) were thoroughly integrated into the working economy of the town, and a good number of them owned snack bars, grocery stores and even a small hotel. I remember in a 7th grade history class the teacher asked how many of us or a parent were immigrants, and almost 20% of us raised our hands.

Later in life I lived in a huge metropolis. I lived in a Latino neighborhood for many years, and I worked for a big employer for the last twenty years of my working life. This latter place had a large number of immigrant employees from Caribbean countries, South America, Asia and a smaller number from Israel and a few from Europe. I was responsible and had access in the departments I work in to their personnel records for years as well as working with these people. The majority were citizens by the point I encountered them. Again, I have to say I saw no indications that they came with a "streets of gold" ideal in their minds nor were they disillusioned or unhappy. They worked like hell. (This "Streets of Gold" delusion I understood as a 19th century problem.) The problems I encountered with chronic laziness and bad attitude were from some native-born Americans.

I wonder if the difference in our experiences may come from being exposed to different ethnic groups, or perhaps different types of work situations.

Last edited by kevxu; 10-11-2019 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-11-2019, 11:37 AM

17,530 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
As a U.S. citizen, she has a better chance of bringing her family members over here.

Better money

Better entitlements

Better healthcare

Better Job

Sounds like she is a lib college professor that can now teach others to hate our great country!

If she hates us, she can go back to her own country.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:43 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,655,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know the contents of the citizenship oath, but did she perjure herself?
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.[12]
For people who object to taking an oath (or are not religious), the words "on oath" can be replaced with "and solemnly affirm", and the words "so help me God" can be omitted.

It does not say you have to love it or even like it. But with a green card, you would have been one of the first to be drafted during that time.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:45 AM

34,990 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.[12]
For people who object to taking an oath (or are not religious), the words "on oath" can be replaced with "and solemnly affirm", and the words "so help me God" can be omitted.

It does not say you have to love it or even like it. But with a green card, you would have been one of the first to be drafted during that time.
I would say there is enough in that oath that the hater would also be a perjurer. For example "that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.