Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 12:37 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times

Advertisements

I know some Dutch green card holders who never applied for citizenship due to collecting Soc sec from overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 03:19 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,789,310 times
It's not only for themselves. Now they're afraid to apply for food stamps, Medicaid, and (believe it or not) Section 8 vouchers for their USA-born citizen children, because they're afraid (and rightly so) that it may affect their ability to get citizenship eventually for themselves.

Which leads to a dilemma. Do we want their children to go without food? Medical care? Shelter? I know families with high, under the table incomes (working in nail salons, own cash businesses, etc) who apply for and receive all of the above for their US citizen children. I know immigrants who came in legally, have green cards, who are doing the same - cash, unreported income, tax-evasion, collecting all possible social welfare benefits, even after being here 20 years or more. But I also know many more who are illegal, working low wage jobs, whose kids would go without medical care and possibly formula, if their parents are afraid to collect benefits for them.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:57 PM

15,468 posts, read 7,516,901 times
This rule does not apply to green card holders. It applies to people applying for green cards and visas via adjustment of status within the US, or applying for green cards or visas outside the US via consular processing. Since most of the applicants are barred from these benefits already, prior to getting a green card, the Immigration folks will be looking at the likelihood that the applicant will be a public charge in the future. Here's a couple of links
https://www.ilrc.org/public-charge
https://www.boundless.com/blog/publi...ule-explained/

and, from the horses mouth, so to speak, https://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-shee...rge-fact-sheet

Old 02-28-2020, 05:07 PM

15,468 posts, read 7,516,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What a great day 2/24/2020 and moving forward for American citizens, not to have the burden for legal immigrants who can’t provide for themselves.

I don’t know of any foreign country that will allow legal aliens to be a charge to the government benefits.

You come here, you have money and live of your money and/or work!

Supreme Court ruled so lefties can’t undo this now.

Maybe this will not relief some of the backlogs....I can already imagine the files going to the back up facilities until someone can re-apply when they make more money.

Some green card holders who never applied for citizenship and I know some, who are dependent on the government, may now have wished they did apply for citizenship, but were getting money from abroad from governments, while living here and not willing to work. They may now need to be able to show they can provide for themselves over here to keep their green card.

This counts also for E2 visa’s and many other visa applications. Thanks President Trump to use common sense!
If they have a green card already, this rule does not apply. It may in the future, but doesn't now.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:23 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,465,221 times
Dual citizenship has become very desirable for many people, and many countries allow for that. Most European countries, not including Monaco, permit dual citizenship.

Some countries, however, will not permit their citizens to keep their passport if they obtain citizenship in other countries, such as the U.S. Green card holders who hold citizenship in some of those countries, are hopeful that will change, and have postponed obtaining U.S. citizenship (to which they are fully entitled) until their country of birth allows dual citizenship.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:20 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,385,085 times
Quote:
What a great day 2/24/2020 and moving forward for American citizens, not to have the burden for legal immigrants who can’t provide for themselves.

I don’t know of any foreign country that will allow legal aliens to be a charge to the government benefits.
Here are a few: The UK. Germany. France. Sweden.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:40 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,385,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It's not only for themselves. Now they're afraid to apply for food stamps, Medicaid, and (believe it or not) Section 8 vouchers for their USA-born citizen children, because they're afraid (and rightly so) that it may affect their ability to get citizenship eventually for themselves.
Good.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:41 PM

1,142 posts, read 450,521 times
Quote:
No as you earned that!

It is for anyone here on a green card or visa who applies for welfare, etc.

Not for programs you earned through working and paying taxes and become eligible for.
Which is as is should be. I have absolutely zero problems with immigrants who come here to work and be a productive part of the country. Immigrants are the backbone of our nation and diversity of cultures, merging into one, is the foundation of the American culture.

I do have a problem with those who enter illegally, try to work for cash without paying taxes, or refuse to complete proper citizenship requirements and become productive citizens. However I openly welcome anyone who chooses to follow the law and become a US citizen.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:44 PM

1,142 posts, read 450,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I know families with high, under the table incomes (working in nail salons, own cash businesses, etc) who apply for and receive all of the above for their US citizen children. I know immigrants who came in legally, have green cards, who are doing the same - cash, unreported income, tax-evasion, collecting all possible social welfare benefits, even after being here 20 years or more.
Those are unrelated issues. Multiple wrongs still do not make a right. Just because some abuse the system doesn't mean others should be able to get away with something illegal.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:17 AM

24,613 posts, read 10,936,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
Which is as is should be. I have absolutely zero problems with immigrants who come here to work and be a productive part of the country. Immigrants are the backbone of our nation and diversity of cultures, merging into one, is the foundation of the American culture.

I do have a problem with those who enter illegally, try to work for cash without paying taxes, or refuse to complete proper citizenship requirements and become productive citizens. However I openly welcome anyone who chooses to follow the law and become a US citizen.
I have a bigger problem with US citizens milking the system to the max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration