Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 09:53 PM

111 posts, read 104,802 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I dont know whether this is the right place to ask, but any of you here know whether the 2020 individual stimulus is going to be distributed to legal immigrants, the ones with SSN and work permit, and who have paid taxes in 2019?

I cannot find anything, that truly takes the above scenario. I can find many places that states all American citizens (which immigrants are not), other sources says all individuals with a SSN, and other say that illegal immigrants even though paying taxes, will not receive the check.

Please only contribute with good sources, and keep all the morality (whether they should be considered or not), and also please keep the guesses to yourself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 10:02 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,576,734 times
Good question. My Ma has paid taxes and had a green card since 1974. Her and my pa are comfortable, but that’s a good question. I’d anticipate this sorta starts with tax returns, so my hunch is that legal residents will partake in the check bonanza.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:12 AM

23,935 posts, read 10,282,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane33 View Post
Hi all,

I dont know whether this is the right place to ask, but any of you here know whether the 2020 individual stimulus is going to be distributed to legal immigrants, the ones with SSN and work permit, and who have paid taxes in 2019?
The definition legal immigrant does not mean SSN and work permit. It looks like payments will not go to households using SSN and ITIN combined.

Quote:
I cannot find anything, that truly takes the above scenario. I can find many places that states all American citizens (which immigrants are not), other sources says all individuals with a SSN, and other say that illegal immigrants even though paying taxes, will not receive the check.
What part of illegal is hard to understand?

Quote:
Please only contribute with good sources, and keep all the morality (whether they should be considered or not), and also please keep the guesses to yourself...

Old 03-30-2020, 08:37 PM

26,636 posts, read 28,433,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
The definition legal immigrant does not mean SSN and work permit. It looks like payments will not go to households using SSN and ITIN combined.

What part of illegal is hard to understand?
None of what you said answers the question. I think the OP was asking about legal immigrants. That means people who applied, paid, filed papers, waited, and finally got permission to come here, then filed for their green card (legal permanent resident) and could apply to become citizens in a few years. But I don't know the answer. My husband is a legal immigrant. He came here from the UK, he's retired now and he pays taxes. I don't expect him to get money from the government but I don't know. Maybe someone here does know--the question is about LEGAL immigrants.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
None of what you said answers the question. I think the OP was asking about legal immigrants. That means people who applied, paid, filed papers, waited, and finally got permission to come here, then filed for their green card (legal permanent resident) and could apply to become citizens in a few years. But I don't know the answer. My husband is a legal immigrant. He came here from the UK, he's retired now and he pays taxes. I don't expect him to get money from the government but I don't know. Maybe someone here does know--the question is about LEGAL immigrants.
OP is in the US on an employment based non immigrant visa. And again - SS# and what he calls work permit does not constitute "immigrant". I did answer his question.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:26 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,279,856 times
To the OP - the answer is yes, legal immigrants who have a SS# and filed taxes in 2018 and/or 2019 who meet the income requirements will qualify for a government individual stimulus payment. If you search on Google it isn’t difficult to find this information on a number of online sources.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:04 PM

111 posts, read 104,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
To the OP - the answer is yes, legal immigrants who have a SS# and filed taxes in 2018 and/or 2019 who meet the income requirements will qualify for a government individual stimulus payment. If you search on Google it isn’t difficult to find this information on a number of online sources.

I have tried, but no reliable source, can you link to this?

Old 03-31-2020, 01:16 PM

congress.gov CARES Act

Old 05-18-2020, 08:37 AM

513 posts, read 440,602 times
If you haven't received it already, you should anticipate a check. Permanent residents are included in the stimulus check hand out.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
If you haven't received it already, you should anticipate a check. Permanent residents are included in the stimulus check hand out.
OP is not a permanent resident aka Green Card holder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration