Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:19 AM

8 posts, read 21,528 times

Advertisements

Hi to all,

Please, I need a sound advice on how to legalize a 17 year old child who has been in the US since he was 1 year old. He is a great kid, intelligent, compassionate and loved by all his friends's mothers. The problem is, his parents are divorced, the mother went back to her country ( she is not a PR nor an USC) and his Dad married a USC but got divorced 3 years after which cancelled his dad's greencard application. The child now lives with his 75 yr old grandfather who is an USC himself and all his aunts are legal permanent residents. I s there a way his relatives could petition him to legalize his status? If not, what other options he has left to secure his future in the US. Thank you all in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 07:53 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea m. View Post
Hi to all,

Please, I need a sound advice on how to legalize a 17 year old child who has been in the US since he was 1 year old. He is a great kid, intelligent, compassionate and loved by all his friends's mothers. The problem is, his parents are divorced, the mother went back to her country ( she is not a PR nor an USC) and his Dad married a USC but got divorced 3 years after which cancelled his dad's greencard application. The child now lives with his 75 yr old grandfather who is an USC himself and all his aunts are legal permanent residents. I s there a way his relatives could petition him to legalize his status? If not, what other options he has left to secure his future in the US. Thank you all in advance
The 75 YO grandfather; was he born in the USA? If so, any of his kids including the one parent of the 17 YO would be citizens as well------no matter where they were born.

Otherwise; you would need to speak with an immigration attorney.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Someone would have to adopt him, but if his father no longer has a green card then it sounds like his parents are both back in their own country and maybe he ought to consider joining them. Family reunification and all --- some things are more important than money.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:52 PM

8 posts, read 21,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
maybe he ought to consider joining them. Family reunification and all --- some things are more important than money.
Thanks for the reply.
Having him to stay in the US is not about the money. His mother is very well-off to her home country and in fact has been sending him allowances every month. I'ts about the culture he had known all his life.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:06 PM

46 posts, read 152,375 times
Could he go back to Mexico and apply for a visa?

Old 05-18-2008, 04:13 PM

162 posts, read 326,354 times
That kid has been abandoned and whoever is on charge or legal custodian, needs to adopt him before he becomes an adult and nothing can be done. About sending him back with the parents? wow, what kind of parents deserve to see the son they left behind. In my opinion there is no family unity there, at all.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine_where_I_am View Post
Could he go back to Mexico and apply for a visa?
The kid may not be a Mexican or even Hispanic, period.

The OP did not post the name of the country where the family is from.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:18 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
That kid has been abandoned and whoever is on charge or legal custodian, needs to adopt him before he becomes an adult and nothing can be done. About sending him back with the parents? wow, what kind of parents deserve to see the son they left behind. In my opinion there is no family unity there, at all.
I think an attorney is in order. And I DO NOT believe that going back to the parents who abandoned him is an option. Circumstances like this call for some thinking out of the box. I understand his adaptation to this culture, and I don't care from which country he or his parents hail. IMO, he needs to get a good immigration attorney and go that rout. I wish I could offer better advice. I wish you and he the very best of luck.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
It does sound like his mother is still supporting him, that means she didn't actually abandon him but maybe she doesn't want him. If other relatives are providing him support, then I would think they can adopt him, there are those who use adoption far more fraudulently.

Yes an immigration lawyer because this is one of those gray zones.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:37 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,634 times
Just wondering -- is there a way to rob a bank and then after the fact make it a legal withdrawl?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration