U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 12:53 PM

259 posts, read 747,200 times

Advertisements

My husband is American and I am Swedish. My son was born in this country. Does anybody think that he should not automatically be a US - Citizen?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 12:56 PM

21,146 posts, read 38,798,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
My husband is American and I am Swedish. My son was born in this country. Does anybody think that he should not automatically be a US - Citizen?
Your husband's US citizenship automatically confers birthright US citizenship to your child no matter your immigration status.

What angers many of us Americans is the Anchor baby rule; meaning that a child born in the USA with both parents here illegally is automatically a citizen. Note that I said both parents here illegally

Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Your husband's US citizenship automatically confers birthright US citizenship to your child no matter your immigration status.

What angers many of us Americans is the Anchor baby rule; meaning that a child born in the USA with both parents here illegally is automatically a citizen. Note that I said both parents here illegally

Yes, thats not right. So if thats the case, does the US have to let the parents stay? Because that would be a way for the Illegal immigrants to get legal??

Old 05-24-2008, 01:11 PM

8,973 posts, read 15,413,771 times
Quote:
Yes, thats not right. So if thats the case, does the US have to let the parents stay? Because that would be a way for the Illegal immigrants to get legal??
You've got the idea...that's the rationale behind the term "anchor baby"...under current US law, even if a woman arrives here illegally in the final stages of 'labor', giving birth just an hour later, the baby becomes a US citizen, and thus can "anchor" his entire family into being allowed to stay on indefinitely. There's a similar term, "chain migration" in which one person gains legal status, and can leverage THAT to bring in dozens of relatives, beyond even immediate family. Many then become eligible for all sorts of government benefits. If they arrive elderly, they are (it's my understanding) eligible to collect Social Security benefits, regardless of the fact that they've never 'paid in' to the system (Of course, this isn't the ONLY abuse of Social Security...it's just one of many)..

Old 05-25-2008, 12:31 PM

25,213 posts, read 36,191,164 times
Quote:
Your husband is a U.S. citizen and i'll give the benefit of the doubt that you are here legally. Your child is an welcome American from birth because both of you are here legally (i assume.) I hope your child learns about all the blood and lives that were given to make this country great.

Our anger is not at immigrant children, it is at the illegal immigrants who give birth to children on US soil so they can have a meal ticket to public assistance and citizenship.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:12 PM

6,806 posts, read 19,831,113 times
Information given at the hospital (fathers nationality as American) and besides being born in the US proper makes your son an Automatic US citizin with no doubts regarding the mothers nationality at birth of child. I was a Canadian citizin (legal green card) and my children were all Born Americans. Steve

Old 05-25-2008, 06:02 PM

47,531 posts, read 63,726,910 times
Quote:
Your son is automatically a US citizen and no one opposes that. Americans can marry foreign citizens who are here legally, Americans can sponsor foreign citizens for the purpose of marriage but there is a legal process to follow of course -- just like in every other country.

Illegals use childbirth to cut to the front of the line. They often come to use our hospitals with no intention of paying the bill AND to obtain welfare handouts using those children. If welfare benefits, food stamps, WIC were eliminated to those people doing this, and they were not exempt from paying their hospital bill, many would stop coming.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:28 PM

21,146 posts, read 38,798,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Your son is automatically a US citizen and no one opposes that. Americans can marry foreign citizens who are here legally, Americans can sponsor foreign citizens for the purpose of marriage but there is a legal process to follow of course -- just like in every other country.

Illegals use childbirth to cut to the front of the line. They often come to use our hospitals with no intention of paying the bill AND to obtain welfare handouts using those children. If welfare benefits, food stamps, WIC were eliminated to those people doing this, and they were not exempt from paying their hospital bill, many would stop coming.
Playing Devil's Advocate here:

Even if ktalley were here illegally and there were no birthright citizenship for illegals; her son would be an American no matter what due to he both having a US citizen father and being born on US soil.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Playing Devil's Advocate here:

Even if ktalley were here illegally and there were no birthright citizenship for illegals; her son would be an American no matter what due to he both having a US citizen father and being born on US soil.
Well. I am here legally so everybody, take a deeeeep breath...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration