Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 11:50 PM

100 posts, read 47,571 times

Advertisements

I'm a 27 year old guy in the US. I was born in Germany but I have lived almost my whole life in the states and have dual US/German citizenship. In light of increasing hardships in the US and rising international tensions I've come to understand that living here isn't the best idea and I need to start making contingency plans to flee the US when things really get bad. However, I don't know what country I should potentially flee to or how to even go about it. I want to be in a country that's kinda off the beaten path and not really involved as much in international geopolitics. Somewhere where I can potentially find refuge from the problems of the western world.

The idea of putting a plan together to emigrate somewhere else is so overwhelming to me. I don't know how much money to put aside, how I would make living arrangements, or what I could do in order to earn money abroad. I'm completely lost and need someone to help me. How should I go about formulating such a contingency plan? Are there any resources I should consult that could give me insight about what I need to do? What countries would be good ones for me to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 12:07 AM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Start Googling. Plenty of resources on the Internet.

Read this:
https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...to-move-abroad
https://www.internationalcitizens.co...-checklist.php

Consider what languages you speak and skills/education you have.

Select a country of your desire.
Inquire about possibilities to move there.
Explore housing, work market, healthcare...
Start saving money.

Where did you travel, so far?
It would be advisable to visit the country before you move in to reduce possible disappointment.

Old 05-08-2023, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Start Googling.

Read this:
https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...to-move-abroad

Consider what languages you speak and skills/education you have.

Select a country of your desire.
Inquire about possibilities to move there.
Explore housing and work market, healthcare.
Start saving money.

My biggest hurdle will likely be earning money abroad. I don't really have a career or any significant qualifications. My undergrad degree is in German so other than very few applications it's pretty much worthless. I have no idea what country is good but I need somewhere that's off the beaten path, not affected much by international geopolitics, and a neutral country not part of any military alliances. All of my concerns about potentially moving abroad are so overwhelming that I really don't know how I'll go about it. I don't care about visiting the country first, I just need somewhere to flee to when rising international tensions inevitably lead to the next major war. I really don't want to be stuck in the US when the bombs start falling and the US becomes obligated to contribute the most militarily.

The countries I've been to besides the US so far are Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Denmark, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, and Canada. None of these are viable options for various reasons. My best bet seems to be South America but I don't know Spanish and have no idea what country would be best to move to there. Realistically I don't believe that I'll be able to pull off a move abroad but I have to try somehow. It's all so overwhelming and I don't know what to do to get myself out of here

Last edited by wwbsd68; 05-08-2023 at 12:18 AM..

Old 05-08-2023, 12:18 AM

Since you converted to Hinduism two years ago it would be probably best to find your religious destination.
Or maybe some German overseas colonies.

You probably will survive doing menial work and learn the local language as you go.

A country "not affected much by international geopolitics, and a neutral country not part of any military alliances" would be probably somewhere in Third World. Not sure if you could describe it as "good" whatever it means to you.

Old 05-08-2023, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Since you converted to Hinduism two years ago it would be probably best to find your religious destination.
Or maybe some German overseas colonies.

There's a significant Hindu population in Mauritius I believe. That place is suitably remote and most likely a neutral country but it's really far away and I doubt they let in many foreigners, especially not foreigners like myself with pretty much no professional skills or qualifications. Former German overseas territories are few in number. The only former German possessions overseas I can think of are what is now Tanzania and Namibia. German isn't widely spoken in those countries and I don't think they're viable options anyway. I don't care about living in the third world very much so long as it isn't completely terrible. Like I said I just really have no idea where to go.

Old 05-08-2023, 12:27 AM

From your two threads you created l sense that you could perhaps use some guidance of a life coach or lifestyle guru that could point you in a right direction, and help to find goal in your life.

Old 05-08-2023, 12:35 AM

Quote:
From your two threads you created l sense that you could perhaps use some guidance of a life coach or lifestyle guru that could point you in a right direction, and help to find goal in your life.

I have a guru already but I haven't talked to him about these things. I usually just talk to my psychologist about this kinda stuff but I haven't yet brought up this specific plan. But how am I supposed to find a goal in my life when the country I live in is digging its own grave? It's imperative I find another country I can go to so I can actually have a life for myself away from the insanity and decadence of the western world. I tried to look some of this up on the internet but there's no good information about the specific problem I have. I haven't found any information about what countries I can move to or how I can go about putting a plan in place. But like I said I won't even be able to earn money abroad since I don't have a career. My plan is almost doomed to fail from the start but I feel like it's my only chance at survival.

Old 05-08-2023, 12:42 AM

What about remote rural living here in the US?
There are some communities in West Virginia hidden away in the Appalachian Mountains.
For example: New Vrindaban is home to the Hare Krishnas:
https://dailyyonder.com/new-vrindaba...ia/2022/07/01/

BTW: talk to you guru and psychologist ...

Old 05-08-2023, 12:46 AM

Quote:
What about remote rural living here in the US?
There are some communities in West Virginia hidden away in the Appalachian Mountains.
For example: New Vrindaban is home to the Hare Krishnas:
https://dailyyonder.com/new-vrindaba...ia/2022/07/01/

I've considered that but I really believe I need to leave this country. I know about New Vrindaban, it's a couple hours away from where I live and friends of mine at my local Hindu temple have been there. It'd be nice to live in a Hindu community like that but the US is doomed and I need to escape while I still have the chance. I'm already pushing my luck by not fleeing the country sooner. In another 10-15 years or so everyone in America will either be dead or living under Chinese occupation

Old 05-08-2023, 06:06 AM

178 posts, read 115,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbsd68 View Post
how am I supposed to find a goal in my life when the country I live in is digging its own grave? It's imperative I find another country I can go to so I can actually have a life for myself away from the insanity and decadence of the western world.
When people are that desperate, they just go. To run away from the insanity and "to find a life goal" are different things, and one is more urgent the the other. I left a crumbling country 28 years ago, - do you think I had time to research much (in pre-widespread internet times yet)? Yes one has to be ready for menial work. Romanians picking berries in Finland (not knowing the language). Anglophones in Ecuador. Latin Americans trickling to the US. People move, without the language first, if they are desperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration