U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:01 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,301,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Where did you get that? The OP mentioned that he/she is white-so that means he/she is against everyone else-c'mon. He/She NEVER brought up religion-you are the one bringing up religion.. The OP mentioned that all the different races at his/her school are segregated/segregating themselves and that concerns him/her. The OP shared a concern that many people have-that we are not the great melting pot that we once were. People come here to be in America-not to be American.

Nicolem
I think he/she was just checking if he/she is in the clear, as a white immigrant from Switzerland who had the privilige to learn English and move here without having to live in the slums and work a lot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 11:16 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,859,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
As I travel around Northern VA I do not recognize the area any more. I go to public places and only 20 percent of the people are like me, (White), and I feel out of place. My mind goes back to when I was a kid in this area (the 1960s and 1970) and remember a southern culture where people knew their neighbors and had alot more in common.

In those days, we had just enough immigrants to make things interesting and keep new ideas coming but not in the overwelming numbers we have today.

Now I see a divided community where people basically only socialize and deal with people of their own ethnic group. In the school where I teach we have lunch tables for whites, blacks, Indians, Koreans, Africans, etc. There is alot of political correctness where people insist that they have friends of varied races but the reality is completely different.

I believe that legal immigration has come to fast and in numbers that are not substanable. I support immigration but not in such large numbers.

Does anyone want to talk about the levels of Legal Immigration and its effect on your communities culture?
Why exactly do you not find this level of legal immigration to be sustainable? I don't have a LOT of experience with Northern Virginia, but have visited there a few times and know several people from there. From what I have observed and heard, it seems like those Middle Eastern, East Asian, South Asian, and (to a lesser extent) Latin American immigrants are moving into middle class areas and do have jobs. Who is buying up all the $350,000-500,000 homes in areas like Springfield and Woodbridge? Seems to be the groups I listed above. The face of MIDDLE CLASS Fairfax County is really changing; it's not like the "white" (American) people live in nice neighborhoods and everyone else lives in the ghetto and twiddles their thumbs all day because they aren't working. Northern Virginia has become one of the most diverse areas in the entire United States, and I have met a great variety of people from there through college, law school, and work - about half of whom are the children of immigrants and are assimilated as can be. It seems to me like the "problem" you see with immigration is that your community is becoming more international and less "(white) Southern." I don't think there's much you can do to react to that other than accept it, go with the flow, or move down to Richmond or Raleigh.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 AM

148 posts, read 598,719 times
While a good percentage of recent LEGAL Immigrants to the DC area are making an effort to get along and prosper the huge number of them and the wide range of first languages and cultures cause a breakdown in Communication. My wife works at an IT Company and there is a huge golf between the Indian, Korean, Chinese and White Computer workers.

I believe the overwhelming differences and cultural differences between the ethnic communities is causing problems in productivity in many organizations in NVA. It has also caused us to be more isolated from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Why exactly do you not find this level of legal immigration to be sustainable? I don't have a LOT of experience with Northern Virginia, but have visited there a few times and know several people from there. From what I have observed and heard, it seems like those Middle Eastern, East Asian, South Asian, and (to a lesser extent) Latin American immigrants are moving into middle class areas and do have jobs. Who is buying up all the $350,000-500,000 homes in areas like Springfield and Woodbridge? Seems to be the groups I listed above. The face of MIDDLE CLASS Fairfax County is really changing; it's not like the "white" (American) people live in nice neighborhoods and everyone else lives in the ghetto and twiddles their thumbs all day because they aren't working. Northern Virginia has become one of the most diverse areas in the entire United States, and I have met a great variety of people from there through college, law school, and work - about half of whom are the children of immigrants and are assimilated as can be. It seems to me like the "problem" you see with immigration is that your community is becoming more international and less "(white) Southern." I don't think there's much you can do to react to that other than accept it, go with the flow, or move down to Richmond or Raleigh.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:46 PM

259 posts, read 747,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I think he/she was just checking if he/she is in the clear, as a white immigrant from Switzerland who had the privilige to learn English and move here without having to live in the slums and work a lot.
Who is from Switzerland, you?

Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,301,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
Who is from Switzerland, you?
Sweden?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 PM

259 posts, read 747,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Sweden?
Jaaaa!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM

11,489 posts, read 8,299,778 times
If they are legal, speak english, and obey the laws who gives a damn at what color/ethnicity they are?

I hope that in the not too far future all the race thing will eventually play itself out.

On the other hand, I also believe that other countries such as Indian and China with their large #'s will play major role in world events. Perhaps, an increasing population through legal immigration might be one way to "compete" with them, but then we are faced with higher density in cities, more pollution and decreasing finite resources. Its a tough call weather its a good thing or bad. I can't seem to make up my mind.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 06-23-2008 at 09:36 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 09:45 PM

21,146 posts, read 38,795,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
Jaaaa!
Much like Jose Gonzalez?

Old 06-24-2008, 08:11 AM

11,489 posts, read 8,299,778 times
I wrote

"If they are legal, speak english, and obey the laws who gives a damn at what color/ethnicity they are?

I hope that in the not too far future all the race thing will eventually play itself out.

On the other hand, I also believe that other countries such as India and China with their large #'s will play a major role in world events. Perhaps, an increasing population through legal immigration might be one way to "compete" with them, but then we are faced with higher density in cities, more pollution and decreasing finite resources. Its a tough call whether increased legal immigration is a good thing or bad. I can't seem to make up my mind."
oops, excuse the spelling errors

Old 06-24-2008, 02:06 PM

559 posts, read 1,259,337 times
I don't think we can ever be one big happy family. Someone put us on different continents for a reason............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration