U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:45 PM

21,146 posts, read 38,869,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
I don't think we can ever be one big happy family. Someone put us on different continents for a reason............
Different cultures anymore are the main reason.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 02:39 PM

13,387 posts, read 17,651,578 times
For years I could see that History was in the proccess of repeating itself. And that our own Government had no intention of changing it.
The only difference is that, today segregation is being done willingly and not forcibly, Well,,,it may be done forcibly but not like it was before it was Prohibited.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:38 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,865,168 times
Quote:
In those days, we had just enough immigrants to make things interesting and keep new ideas coming but not in the overwelming numbers we have today.
You mean like Hong Kong

About 95% of Hong Kong's population is of Chinese descent, the majority of which is Cantonese or from ethnic groups such as Hakka and Teochew. Cantonese

The remaining 5% of the population is composed of non-ethnic Chinese forming a highly visible group despite their smaller numbers

Hong Kong has a fertility rate of 0.95 children per woman,[46] one of the lowest in the world and far below the 2.1 children per woman required to sustain the current population. However, population in Hong Kong continues to grow due to the influx of immigrants from mainland China approximating 45,000 per year.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM

218 posts, read 412,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
You mean like Hong Kong

About 95% of Hong Kong's population is of Chinese descent, the majority of which is Cantonese or from ethnic groups such as Hakka and Teochew. Cantonese

The remaining 5% of the population is composed of non-ethnic Chinese forming a highly visible group despite their smaller numbers

Hong Kong has a fertility rate of 0.95 children per woman,[46] one of the lowest in the world and far below the 2.1 children per woman required to sustain the current population. However, population in Hong Kong continues to grow due to the influx of immigrants from mainland China approximating 45,000 per year.

Interesting factoids, but I am not sure what your larger point is?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:21 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,311,087 times
I can't believe you guys honestly believe the United States can't make it as a diverse country.

We're not seeing constant rioting, or large scale killings between races. Even the gangmembers are barely even killing gangmembers of other races. Much much less normal people.

People in general get along, and race relations in this country are better than they've ever been.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,765 times
Default legal immigration and US education a curse for some

Illegal aliens’ problem has been one of the most important issues facing US Government. But does that guarantee that legal immigrants will be treated fairly? Certainly not, please read on.

But how are the legal aliens treated?
Does a legal alien really get right to live and work in US, after one has completely legitimate green card? The following description rebuts that.

Secondly, how credible are the US degrees inside US? Answer is ZERO. Please read.

I secured my MSEE from US and secured Green Card perfectly legitimately, through sponsorship by my brother. Just after I had those two documents, local cops everywhere starts demanding that I should not neither stay in US nor work in US.
The allegation was, and is, (hold your breath) that ‘I make too many mistakes’. The point worth noting is , along with the allegation, 24/7 relentless and intense harassment was initiated, which continues to date. Local police receives the instructions everywhere and start carrying out those instructions.
The 24/7, harassment is done using all kinds of equipment, even high tech. They have also indulged in other illegal activities, including, but not limited to, slandering, invasion of privacy and defamation by extensive use of loudspeakers .

I had complained to Office of Professional Responsibility, which was investigating complaints about illegal spying, which did not even acknowledge to the
There has so far been no case, no charges, no court intervention whatsoever, against me.]

There are millions of illegal immigrant in US , who have been working and living in US, some for years and years , without being bothered by law enforcement. Harassment, defamation, invasion of privacy are out of question. Most of them are uneducated and unskilled. And if they are apprehended, they are given right to defend themselves in courts.

I think inference is clear. I have read some posts resenting legal immigration also, implying that it should be limited it race wise, regardless of what the country may need in terms of manpower , skills.
It is entirely possible that somebody who believed in that, initiated my destruction.

Should one not curse the day, someone decides to come to US for so called higher education, immigrate and get stuck with this, when his own country could have offered a much brighter and trouble free life.

Last edited by paul1991; 08-13-2008 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: wrong font

Old 07-08-2009, 07:50 PM

543 posts, read 917,674 times
I have no problems with LEGAL immigrants. I like diversity.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM

5,587 posts, read 12,069,854 times
We used to be the melting pot-people came here to become American and cut ties-as far as allegiances-to their prior country. I don't mean cut ties to culture, religion, food etc. But they learned English, wanted to be Americans and blended in. They became Americans in every sense of the meaning while bringing customs, etc. to mix into the great melting pot.
============
That's how I came here in the early 60's. First, the US government *invited* us to come here.
By *us*, I mean those who were highly skilled in the aerospace industry. I was actually recruited right out of school .....
They even paid my way over here and gave me 65 dollars spending money .. for my trip.

However ...
I remember having to sign a piece of paper, that stated
*that I was willing to bear arms for the USA*.
So I duly registered for the *Draft*, which at that time was by chance/lottery.
So after all that, being recruited to work on the Space Programme,
I was Drafted only 5 weeks after I registered for the draft ....
Go figure ...
I did my time, served honourably, and
NEVER insisted that any document was in *my* native (NOT English !!!) language !!!!
Became a citizen of the USA as soon as I could, (why else would I like to come here for anyway ???)
and NEVER insisted to keep my original citizenship !!!!
I could have retained my original citizenship, but why ???
I have met a lot of people who have dual citizenship and they are so proud of that ...
again why did you come here for in the first place ????

I agree with some posters. When you come here,
come here to become an American, and for no other purpose !

BTW, after my separation of the Armed Services,
I continued on the Space Programme. Loved every minute of it.

Nuff sed.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 PM

47,531 posts, read 63,878,009 times
I think that most employer sponsored legal immigration is okay, some of it good, some of it neutral because the employer must actually take financial responsibility and there is a cost involved in brringing in immigrants.

There should always be a good mix of immigrants if there are many immigrants brought in, they should not be too much of this or too much of that. It should be balanced and fair.

Family sponsored immigration is fine when it's spouse and minor aged children, but most of the rest is nothing but a scam. Family sponsors of immigrants rarely intend to buy siblings, grandparents, parents, cousins, aunts, and uncles they bring in health insurance or pay their bills after they sign the paper claiming they will be financially responsible for them.

Family sponsored immigration is grossly unfair because worthy immigration candidates are passed by where someone who isn't at all special simply has to have the right family connections and here they are.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 PM

47,531 posts, read 63,878,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
I have no problems with LEGAL immigrants. I like diversity.
I like diversity too -- and when immigration is about the right reasons, you get a good mix of people from all over. When you have a good mix, people actually see the point in having a common language with which to communicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration