Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:10 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,302 times

Advertisements

Okay guys, now let's get away from illegal immigration and let's talk about legal immigration for a minute. I've advocated for a temporary moratorium on all immigration, illegal and legal. This is mainly due to the fact that I am of the opinion that we should give the country some breathing room and allow some of these new citizens to assimilate into our culture. Here's some figures from the DHS in a Washington Times article about legal immigration of the past year (2006):

CIS said 721,268 immigrants, including 9,374 military personnel, became naturalized citizens last year. That is a 22 percent increase over the 2005 numbers, when 588,994 immigrants became naturalized citizens.

Now, I'm curious how this country expects to keep absorbing this many people and whether they expect to continue this trend of increasing the number of naturalized citizens every year. Has anyone ever thought to themselves, "gee, we need more cars on the road", "gee, there's just not enough people around", "gee, I wish there was more traffic"...if you never asked yourselves those questions, then I would assume that you were as shocked to see figures that were close to 3/4 of a million people in 1 year as I was. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 07:29 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
We always need legal immigrants because they tend to be educated and professionals drawn to the U.S. for job and career opportunities. That's the thing, it's very hard to get into the U.S. legally. We're among the tightest and most difficult of any major western country to legally migrate into. We accept people who are rich above a certain amount who can prove their means of self-support, and we bring in professionals. However, we have short lists and don't offer enough spots. Marrying an American is no guarantee for the foreigner either. If you try to legally migrate to the U.S. and you have no skills...you might as well look for Santa Claus' workshop in the North Pole...you most likely will never get in. If you're Laotian or come from a war-torn country, you might be able to get in by lottery. If you're European or Canadian, forget it. The system is biased against you.
That's the irony. We make the U.S.A. one of the toughest countries to legally migrate into even if you have a skill we need and can immediately begin contributing to our society, yet you can swarm across the border with no education, skills, money, or anything to offer the U.S. and be home free. Just sneak in, steal a SSN#, apply for a job at Swift Meat Company, have a baby on American soil, and in 10 years the government will offer you amnesty but the list of legal hopefuls remains just that..legal hopefuls.
We've got it ass backwards, as usual.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:20 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,432 times
seems like alot of people coming in, do those numbers reflect all that died for one reason or other? Most of the illegals could not qualify to make it in. for those that do it legally, welcome. I know its a hard process, my grandfather explained it to me.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:59 PM

56 posts, read 253,720 times
To be a legal immigrante you must be willing to assimilate(by definition at least) and yes we MUST WELCOME all who want to come legally(assimilation is key to legal)dont believe it read the imm. law

YOU ARE WELCOME AS NEW AMERICANS

Old 01-26-2007, 01:35 PM

24 posts, read 17,916 times
No, I think we take far too many in. In fact, the majority are NOT the educated elites but rather the uneducated. The majority of our legal immigrants come from Mexico and other Latin American countries and are not exactly educated. In fact, we even allow legal immigrants to get welfare handouts.

The American identity that was developed is rapidly being destroyed by immigration without assimilation.

We do not need new immigration, and certainly not of the type that is rapidly turning areas of the United States into some Third World indigenous area of Mexico. They don't want to be Americans, they don't want to learn our language or culture. In fact, many are downright filthy.

Check out what's happening in LA with the Blacks and Hispanics shooting each other up, it's a representation of the country in which these groups are dominant. Is this the diversity we want? Is this going to benefit our children?

Old 01-27-2007, 01:24 AM

652 posts, read 2,803,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
We always need legal immigrants because they tend to be educated and professionals drawn to the U.S. for job and career opportunities.
Actually, they displace American workers from their jobs, such as the case with the H-1B visa program that has effectively killed software engineering as an American occupation right here in the U.S. For more info see:

http://www.zazona.com/

We certainly do not need any immigrants whatsoever at this point in time. The only reason continued immigration into the U.S. is being permitted is to cheapen the labor value of America's middle and working classes, to the benefit of corporatists and other gated community transnationalists.

Quote:
That's the thing, it's very hard to get into the U.S. legally. We're among the tightest and most difficult of any major western country to legally migrate into.
You must be joking. That is absolute nonsense.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:25 AM

652 posts, read 2,803,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christa17 View Post
To be a legal immigrante you must be willing to assimilate(by definition at least) and yes we MUST WELCOME all who want to come legally(assimilation is key to legal)dont believe it read the imm. law

YOU ARE WELCOME AS NEW AMERICANS
Why? Is it written somewhere in the U.S. Constitution that we're obligated to welcome everybody who wants to enter this country?

Old 02-01-2007, 01:22 PM

184 posts, read 901,954 times
If we don't have legal immigration, the US will be left behind (economically speaking). Sure, speak english and appreciate being american than you're welcome!

quick FYI for those against legal immigration: most nobel prize winners are US citizens who were born somewhere else! (true with many other important professional recognitions).

Legally naturalized citizens don't take being american for granted like many who were born here. Fact!

Old 02-01-2007, 01:30 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegas Dude View Post

Check out what's happening in LA with the Blacks and Hispanics shooting each other up, it's a representation of the country in which these groups are dominant. Is this the diversity we want? Is this going to benefit our children?
Thugs and gangmembers have nothing to do with diverse peoples.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:10 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,380 times
Well, my thoughts are quite simple. I feel that if a human being feels threatened, or fear for their lives in their home country, I most certainly will welcome them with open arms and will willingly help them. These refugees I find are the most grateful and definitely add to this country's strength. This is not a hotel where you come & go like going to Disneyland, this is serious business here and it's land of opportunity for people that need that second chance.
Anyway, as for filling unwanted jobs, they can fill them for awhile till they get their two feet on the ground and go on... We also have always had plenty of unemployed people from all races, cultures right here at home that need & want jobs Some say, well they won't do it.. How do we really know if we don't give them a chance?? Anyhow, I'm sure they will when there are no more free rides.

And for the the person that said that most Nobel prize winners were born elsewhere...most certainly. And let's not forget that our first U.S. President's were also born elsewhere, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration