Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:26 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I feel that you should have to obtain citizenship before you become entitled to those things. The main reason most GC holders don't become citizens is to avoid being taxed on their worldwide income, if that is your reason for not naturalising then I don't feel you should in fact be entitled to benefits as you are clearly not paying the full amount of tax that you should be. You're either all in or all out.
FYI, GC holders are treated exactly as US citizens for tax return purposes: Both US citizens and GC holders are taxed on their worldwide income.

Once you become a US permanent resident / GC holder, you're taxed on your worldwide income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:42 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,992 times
But only while you live in the US. If you leave the US and give up your GC they don't come after you for taxes like they would if you were a USC that moved overseas.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times
Quote:
But only while you live in the US. If you leave the US and give up your GC they don't come after you for taxes like they would if you were a USC that moved overseas.
That's correct, but ONLY if you give up your GC. If you leave the US temporary, say for work in another country, you'd still have to report your worldwide income as a GC holder as if you were a US citizen. You also have to continue filing US tax returns as a US RESIDENT (Form 1040) as if you lived in the US.

Sorry folks, I'm off-topic.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:34 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
I feel that you should have to obtain citizenship before you become entitled to those things. The main reason most GC holders don't become citizens is to avoid being taxed on their worldwide income, if that is your reason for not naturalising then I don't feel you should in fact be entitled to benefits as you are clearly not paying the full amount of tax that you should be. You're either all in or all out.
Worldwide income? Would that I had some but I don't. And this explanation as to why not all GC holders become citizens is ludicrous. My only income for all the years I've worked in the US has been taxed exactly as it would have been taxed if I were a citizen. I've paid into the SS system all those years too but in your opinion I shouldn't ever be allowed to reap the benefit of the system because I'm not a citizen but a bona fide resident alien. Well well well.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:42 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Whoa there... IRS law states that all residents (and even H1-B holders can be resident if they meet a substantial presence test i.e. be present for 31 days or more in the US for Green Card it's ONE day) of the United States need to pay taxes on their global earnings period. The exceptions being if the income is taxed within the country of earning, then the IRS is only entitled to the difference between the originating countries tax rate and the US or zero whichever is higher.

So if you're earnings are taxed in the country of origin at 25% or so you'd pay no US tax on those earnings, but if the earnings are taxed at 10% (and your tax bracket is roughly 20%) you'd still pay another 10% to the IRS.

Failure to do so is tax evasion, which can lead to deportation...

Old 06-19-2011, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,354 times
can a green card holder who pay taxes apply for a food stamp, and if so would that affect his or her application later on to becoming a USA citizen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration