U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,691 times

Advertisements

I am from the UK and got married over 60 days after entering the US on a waiver visa. My problem is that my wife can not sponsor me as she has not earned enough in the last few years. I live with her and her brother. Her brother has earned enough to sponsor me but i would like to know if that is at all possible.

Anybodys help is much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 11:48 PM

5 posts, read 24,228 times
Apply for an exception in the the affidafit of support. It luks like I-130 didn't go thru since INS needs more bucks evidence from you. Brother petition takes 15-20 yrs. What is ur waiver visa? Fiance visa, but u said ur married already? CR1? I can't guess since there's a lot of possibilities.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 PM

10,749 posts, read 33,037,488 times
Your also going to have to address the fact you overstayed your Visa, BEFORE 911 that was a problem, I have heard since then its a BIG DEAL. I was married to an Englishman who overstayed his visa and there was a fine involved etc.

THEN you have Immigration coming to visit for 5 years to make sure you really are married.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:09 AM

15,598 posts, read 36,487,071 times
Good luck to you and yours. I'm currently awaiting word when my spouse can return. She's waiting out processing back in her country of origin. We have heard from them informing us they have got our paperwork and we are in processing...but like they said...it could be 4 to 12 months.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:43 PM

135 posts, read 521,275 times
Your brother can function as a co-sponsor, similar to co-signing a lease or contract (he agrees to re pay the government if the government ends up paying for you).

You only need to prove legal entry if you marry a US Citizen, 245i suffices as well.

You should consider hiring an immigration lawyer.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:15 PM

549 posts, read 1,565,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrax View Post
I am from the UK and got married over 60 days after entering the US on a waiver visa. My problem is that my wife can not sponsor me as she has not earned enough in the last few years. I live with her and her brother. Her brother has earned enough to sponsor me but i would like to know if that is at all possible.

If she has a savings account with over $28,000 you dont need an sponsor. That was the amount in 2002...I dont know the amount in 2009. Ask your immigration lawyer.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:59 PM

3,567 posts, read 4,276,289 times
Any U.S. citizen can be your sponsor. It's also noted on te form I-875. He means the Visa Waiver Program. YOu can adjust your status here in the U.S. You do not have to return.

If there's no income or less than required, you must prove that you have 3 times in cash of the difference.

P.S. You do not have to prove enough income for the last years. If she makes enough NOW , then that is also sufficient. And don't hire a lawyer... waste of money. We did it alone, so you can do it too.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:26 AM

298 posts, read 940,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Your also going to have to address the fact you overstayed your Visa, BEFORE 911 that was a problem, I have heard since then its a BIG DEAL. I was married to an Englishman who overstayed his visa and there was a fine involved etc.

THEN you have Immigration coming to visit for 5 years to make sure you really are married.
If they are only recently married he hasn't overstayed his visa. You get 90 days on a Visa waiver.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:07 AM

47,531 posts, read 63,700,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrax View Post

Couldn't your employer sponsor you?

Old 04-25-2009, 11:50 AM

46 posts, read 132,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Couldn't your employer sponsor you?
Hopefully you're not working, cos if you are then you're working illegally (can't work untill you gets your green card).
I'm a brit, ex-wife is from US but we married in the UK and lived there together for 3 years before she got homesick and we moved here, even then it took nearly 8 months to get my visa before I could emmigrate. You might find that INS makes you return to the UK and apply for a visa from there - that would be sticking to the letter of the law. INS doesn't like people using the visa waiver program to do things like getting married here, it looks too much like you're trying to circumvent the immigration laws.
Would your wife consider moving to the UK (temporarily), it's slightly easier for her to get a visa to live there, once you've been together for a couple of years (and saved a bit) you could then come back to the US?
Whatever you decide make sure you keep the INS fully informed, even someone who does everything right and gets his/her visa etc can be refused entry for no reason. As the INS guy at the US Embassy in London said to me, when you arrive in the US be as polite as you can be, use 'sir' and 'maam' when you talk to the immigration officials at your port of entry and whatever you do, don't get your visa package (big brown envelope) crumpled, if it looks like you even attempted to open it yourself you'll be on the next plane back to the UK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration