Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:32 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,509,213 times

Advertisements

With the economy as it is, are there any jobs in America where people feel we DO need legal immigrants?

The H-1B is typically used by people in the IT, telecoms, healthcare, accounting, teaching, legal, marketing and advertising and engineering industries.

Do we still need legal immigrants to fill these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 02:10 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times
Legal immigrants are U.S. citizens; thus, entitled to whatever jobs are currently available. We can’t discriminate against legal immigrants, irrespective of our current economic woes. Do we need to welcome more legal immigrants at this time? No.

Conversely, as long as we don’t have enough jobs for U.S. citizens, I don’t believe we need H-1B Visa holders and other non-citizens. I don’t buy into the H-1B BS. I believe we have more than enough qualified workers to fill our IT and engineering positions.

BTW, where are all of the posters yearning to discuss legal immigration?

Last edited by Benicar; 03-21-2009 at 02:19 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 02:23 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,752,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Legal immigrants are U.S. citizens; thus, entitled to whatever jobs are currently available. We can’t discriminate against legal immigrants, irrespective of our current economic woes. Do we need to welcome more legal immigrants at this time? No.

Conversely, as long as we don’t have enough jobs for U.S. citizens, I don’t believe we need H-1B Visa holders and other non-citizens. I don’t buy into the H-1B BS. I believe we have more than enough qualified workers to fill our IT and engineering positions.

LOL, that shows how little you know about the U.S immigration system.Green card holders are legal immigrants but not U.S citizens.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:35 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,416,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
LOL, that shows how little you know about the U.S immigration system.Green card holders are legal immigrants but not U.S citizens.
Apparently, you are the one who has no knowledge of the US immigration system. Legalized immigrants are naturalized citizens. Green card holders are visitors that have temporary permission to live and work in the US legally. The US has no obligation to grant them citizenship or allow them to remain present indefinitely. They are as eligible for deportation as DREAMies and other illegal aliens.

Therein lies the difference.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

It will take time, since so many have been scared away.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:37 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,646,250 times
Green card holders are certainly legal immigrations who - if they should want to - are well on their way to become actual citizens.

That said, no - I don't believe we need to fill those visas. I think we have a lot of high tech/white collar workers already to fill whatever drain that is perceived.
We do need farm laborers visas, that I will say. I think that would be very beneficial to the people who just want to cross the border, make some dough and go back home. It would be a win/win.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Healthcare, Professors and IT are the areas I think we still need immigrants to fill. It also seems we still need the summer agriculture jobs to be filled.

The demand of these jobs still outweigh the supply of Americans. Nursing is way short right now.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:39 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,752,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Apparently, you are the one who has no knowledge of the US immigration system. Legalized immigrants are naturalized citizens. Green card holders are visitors that have temporary permission to live and work in the US legally.

Therein lies the difference.
Pure ignorance( not surprisingly), green card holders have PERMANENT residency NOT temporary residence.

Quote:
This section of the USCIS Website provides you with information and directions necessary to apply for lawful permanent residence (LPR), or "green cards". You will have the opportunity to access information regarding ways to get a "green card". A "green card" gives you official immigration status (Lawful Permanent Residency) in the United states. If you already are a permanent resident, you may want to read, "Now That You Are A Permanent Reside
Permanent Resident (Green Card)

Old 03-21-2009, 02:41 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,416,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Pure ignorance, green card holders have PERMANENT residency NOT temporary residence.

Permanent Resident (Green Card)
Really? If that's the case prey tell why do their green cards have to be renewed in order for them to remain in the US legally? You claimed that they are citizens.

Speaking of ignorance, I will refrain from commenting on the state of your bliss.

Quote:
Green Card refers to the official card issued by the US government to lawful permanent residents (immigrants) as evidence of their authorization to live and work in the United States. It is officially called Form I-551, the Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Receipt Card). It is commonly called the Green Card not because of its current color, but because of the original color of the card many years ago.
If you are already a Green Card holder…

You should be aware that Green Cards issued since the end of 1989 have an expiration date on the front of the Green Card with a ten-year validity. If you were issued your Green Card about 10 years ago and the Green Card has an expiration date on it, you should check the expiration date to see when your Green Card needs to be renewed. Green Cards issued from 1977 to 1989 that do not have an expiration date will remain valid until implements an official replacement program in the future.

http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/imm...reen_cards.htm
So you were saying?

Last edited by JDubsMom; 03-21-2009 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 02:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
I would say for now, with millions of American unemployed, we are not in a position to have much immigration legal or illegal.

States like California are on the brink of collapse.

Even when times get better, I don't think immigration should be just about money. Those coming here should want to actually become Americans, be a true part of our society which means adapting to our ways, learning our language. Money isn't everything. Coming here shouldn't be just some kind of get-rich quick scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration