Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:28 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times

Advertisements

In the local schools they did a survey of the immigrant status of the best and the brightest. By far the kids from China, India, Korea, and Taiwan came out on top. I looked into this further and it appears that nationally the people who immigrate from these countries are doing very well for themselves and helping America.

Would it be a stretch to encourage more immigration of the best and the brightest from these countries and discourage immigration from places like Mexico and Central America that seem to bring in mostly high school dropouts, teenage pregnancy and gangs.

If we are going to bring new comers into our already overcrowed country, then we should encourage the best and the brightest, not the worst the country has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 07:28 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,287 times
I would be wary of increased immigration from China. It is well known in our intelligence agencies that China sends a lot of spies to the USA to steal defense technologies.

Last edited by Bostonian123; 04-21-2009 at 08:07 AM..

Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Bostonian is correct. China is definitely not our friend. Thus, it is incomprehensible why we would allow ourselves to be 'owned' by them.

Most countries require self-sufficiency in foreigners wishing to relocate to their countries. They also give preference to the “best and brightest.” Conversely, the U.S. has a preference for illiterate cheap illegal labor, and their extended families.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I would be wary of increased immigration from China. It is well know in our intelligence agencies that China sends a lot of spies to the USA to steal defense technologies.
excellent point.....
We need to raise our standards of who we allow to enter. We should evaluate what skills, trades,specialities that we are lacking.
For example:
Doctors, Nurses,massage artists errr uhmmm Theropists.
My point being we should have standards that would provide self reliant immigrants.
They should already be reasonably self secure in other words have money in the bank to support themselves. We are not a or at least should not be treated as a welfare state for any immigrant that wishes to migrate to this country.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:06 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
At this point in time, we do not need to be increasing immigration from anywhere-in fact I believe we need an immigration time out. If we were only dealing with illegal aliens, that would be bad enough. However, we have employers who bring foreign workers here on visas and pay them less than they would have to pay American workers-there are even seminars that lawyers hold to help companies avoid hiring qualified American workers. Especially during an economic recession, we should not be bringing foreign labor here while Americans are out of work.

It is way past time that our government put her own American citizens first. Once we get our borders secure, all illegals are sent home, those here legally are assimilated and Americans are back to work, then we can look at limited legal immigration-only when it benefits America and her citizens. I for one am sick and tired of American workers being put second to cheap foreign labor-whether it is legal or illegal labor. Politicians need to realize that the interests that they are supposed to serve are those of American citizens not ethnocentric special interest groups or greedy corporations looking to make $$ at all costs.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:20 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I would be wary of increased immigration from China. It is well known in our intelligence agencies that China sends a lot of spies to the USA to steal defense technologies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Bostonian is correct. China is definitely not our friend. Thus, it is incomprehensible why we would allow ourselves to be 'owned' by them.
You're both correct. The Chinese government has been recruiting young nationalistic citizens to emigrate abroad and obtain vulnerable defense jobs while being sleeper agents all the while.

We should be somewhat cautious.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:48 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
I think we should increase ILLEGAL immigration from China, India, Korea, and Taiwan..not LEGAL. Illegal immigrants, you will recall, are STILL immigrants. Moreover, they're PEOPLE, too; they work hard, they help our economy....and they're CHEAP.

Given that choice, who needs LEGAL immigrants? If they're LEGAL, we might have to PAY them a living wage.....

Old 04-21-2009, 04:53 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
No--as far as I am concerned, the only 2 countries that should be given unlimited immigration is Japan and the UK.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:07 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
At this point in time, we do not need to be increasing immigration from anywhere-in fact I believe we need an immigration time out. If we were only dealing with illegal aliens, that would be bad enough. However, we have employers who bring foreign workers here on visas and pay them less than they would have to pay American workers-there are even seminars that lawyers hold to help companies avoid hiring qualified American workers. Especially during an economic recession, we should not be bringing foreign labor here while Americans are out of work.

It is way past time that our government put her own American citizens first. Once we get our borders secure, all illegals are sent home, those here legally are assimilated and Americans are back to work, then we can look at limited legal immigration-only when it benefits America and her citizens. I for one am sick and tired of American workers being put second to cheap foreign labor-whether it is legal or illegal labor. Politicians need to realize that the interests that they are supposed to serve are those of American citizens not ethnocentric special interest groups or greedy corporations looking to make $$ at all costs.

What Nicolem said.....

Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
The USA already had far more immigrants than any other country in the world and we've also got far too many unemployed people here.

I don't think we need more total immigrants -- we've got too large a ratio of immigrants to citizens already but we should probably look at the mix and balance the sending countries better.

Also make sure the motives for coming are the right ones -- immigration to this country should be about a true desire to become American, learn the language and culture and we don't need any government dependent kind of immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration