Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:44 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

If you are complying with the rules, how long will it take before you really have the green card in your hands after you receive the letter stating you are one of the lucky persons chosen?

One of my close friends got the letter and I know it isn't a 100% sure you will get the green card, but if have all proof to show that you have a High School diploma, etc. and already have a visa and are living in the USA...

Anybody has experience or advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 02:48 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Half those are scams.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Half those are scams.
Please explain what you mean?

Old 06-04-2009, 07:42 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Make sure the material is legit. There are many scam sites out there offering green card lotteries. Don't send them any money unless you know for a fact it is a legitimate service. Don't fall for the pop up ad's you see on many web sites these days.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Make sure the material is legit. There are many scam sites out there offering green card lotteries. Don't send them any money unless you know for a fact it is a legitimate service. Don't fall for the pop up ad's you see on many web sites these days.
Okay i understand what you are saying...I appreciate it but this was done by the official USCIS website and I went with her to the USCIS office where they stated that they letter was for the upcoming fiscal year's green card and she had to send the requested forms to Kentucky. So we know this isn't a scam, but we were wondering if people had gone through this and how much work it is and what the changes are. Her number is according to her lawyer one that has a great chance to get one and she is able to show all the papers she needs to proof that she qualifies. Her lawyer is charging a large amount to fill the papers out and they don't look so hard to do so her self. Her lawyer had in the past entered her for the lotery but the last couple of years she did it her self since the cost for the lawyer were although reasonable still a lot to pay every year...Her lawyer stated that without him she probable never will be chosen because the chances of making a mistake to enter are high and I can see that many people will have trouble filing this if you don't know how to deal with the pictures requirements, etc...but she managed and was send the letter she hoped for...Now the process started and according to her lawyer her number could come up in December of this year...but still we want to know some peoples experiences. We have met in the past winners of the lotery and they succeeded but we never discussed the process and now she wants to know she lost contact with these past winners....so any experience is welcome!

Old 06-05-2009, 01:48 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,447 times
I have a couple of friends from Ireland who won the diversity lottery. It took them about 6-8 months from the time they got the letter, because they needed to do an interview at the embassy, go for a medical, and gather documents.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:04 AM

Thanks. So they won it while living in their home country? This person I know won it while already being here on a visa and she told me that according to the papers she could ask for adjustment of status and that might work faster. I wonder if any one knows some one who had a similar thing...

Old 06-18-2009, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 14,639 times
I just got my approval letter following an approved interview. it took me one year. why it takes so long is because of the ranking number. like a lottery you have to wait for your number to be up to start applying. i receive my letter from kentucky consular on april 2008. my number came up on january 2009( travel.state.gov you go on visa-bulletin-current). as soon as you get the pakage from kentucky consular fill out for ds 122 or 230 and send it to dhs to let them know that you want to pursue the application. if u live in the us. you tell them that you wil continue with bcis for an adjustment of statusor otherwise. they will send them a letter back notifying you that they have acknowledge your decision. then you wait until your number comes up. you do medicals ($300), $1010 for form I 485(adjustment of status), $0 for form I765 (working permit if needed). you will receive receipt from dhs. and appointment for biometrics. then pay dv program ($375/person). then wait for interview date.hope this help

Old 06-18-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesis View Post
I just got my approval letter following an approved interview. it took me one year. why it takes so long is because of the ranking number. like a lottery you have to wait for your number to be up to start applying. i receive my letter from kentucky consular on april 2008. my number came up on january 2009( travel.state.gov you go on visa-bulletin-current). as soon as you get the pakage from kentucky consular fill out for ds 122 or 230 and send it to dhs to let them know that you want to pursue the application. if u live in the us. you tell them that you wil continue with bcis for an adjustment of statusor otherwise. they will send them a letter back notifying you that they have acknowledge your decision. then you wait until your number comes up. you do medicals ($300), $1010 for form I 485(adjustment of status), $0 for form I765 (working permit if needed). you will receive receipt from dhs. and appointment for biometrics. then pay dv program ($375/person). then wait for interview date.hope this help
Wow, thanks for the explanation and congrats on getting it! Do you remember what your number was...how high?

Old 05-12-2010, 02:58 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,447 times
When you say you applied in 2009-2010, I assume you mean you sent in your application in October 2008, and got a letter saying you won in June 2009? You should have heard something by now... I'd contact your local embassy and ask for a status update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration