Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:01 PM

9 posts, read 20,337 times

Advertisements

hi, im looking to move to new york. i have really fallen for the place!.. i have a decent enough job here but i need to get away. i will always have a soft spot for hartlepool(my home town) but i know its new york for me.

im sure it will be very hard for me when i move but im up for a challenge! im going to move on my own from uk but i dont know anyone there at all! anyone live there now? moved from uk? i still need to get a visa but i dont know where to start? all im doing at the moment is saving up!! thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 01:52 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,957 times
I moved from ireland, but to Arkansas- New York is too big for me! The thing I miss the most are tea biscuits, there is nothing even remotely similar here.

What kind of visa are you going for? It is quite difficult to get a work visa, so unless you are about to marry an American, the easiest way of living in the USA is a student visa- but university fees are expensive!

Old 08-15-2009, 11:40 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,259 times
I'm from London and I lived in New York for a year but I went on a student visa. Ten years later, different state, married to an American and on the (long) path to citizenship eventually.

That's leaving out a huge number of details. As everyone in the world has probably told you already, living vs. visiting is a big difference. I was very surprised by how different living in Manhattan was from visiting there - I was happy in NYC, but mainly because I knew that after a year I would be out of there! But like everyone else, you'll only know how you really feel once you get here.

I would say that the work route is the hardest way to get here. Student is easier at first but hard to say, and the marriage route is very difficult also. But, it's not impossible! Hopefully someone else who did the work route can help you more

Old 08-16-2009, 10:52 AM

thanks for your comments, i know what you mean about visiting and living there but i really need to at least experience it! how would i even go round applying for a green card/visa? internet or do i need to go to american embassey ??

Old 08-16-2009, 11:35 AM

You have to go to the Embassy in London, near Oxford St if I remember, for the interview and to get final approval for the visa. In terms of where to start...if you want a work visa, you have to apply for a job first. Say you see X Company is advertising for a job, you apply for the job, interview with them (if it's in person, you just take a regular flight to the US on your normal passport), and then if they offer you a job, you start your paperwork. All the paperwork is available online and you mail it in, and eventually you get an appointment.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:39 AM

do you think its possible then? it seems very expenise! but i know its what i want! do you live in ny?

Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,957 times
It's possible, but it depends on what skills and qualifications you have. If you choose to try for a work visa, the US employer needs to show they cannot find an American for the job, so you really only have a chance if you work in a highly skilled field such as computer technology, chemistry etc. Work visas are not that expensive, they are just difficult to get.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomandrews View Post
do you think its possible then? it seems very expenise! but i know its what i want! do you live in ny?
Many people want it, you just have to have a plan together for how to get it. You need to make yourself very desirable to employers in the US: get as much of a range of experience as you can in your present job, join committees, volunteer to do work that's related to your field, keep your qualifications up to date.

It is very expensive, but so is buying a house, having kids, starting a business...stuff that people do every day.

I don't live in New York, I live in New Mexico now. The cost of living in New York was far too high for the perks (galleries, museums, culture on your doorstep). I realised the rat race wasn't for me and I should get out while I could, and I did. I still love to visit though.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:12 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomandrews View Post
On your other similar thread which was moved from another forum to this one I suggested you go to the sticky at the top of this page which provides a bunch of links to immigration sites which would give you all the information you need. Did you do that yet?

I think you'll find that unless you're in a professional field where the level of your expertise can't be met by an American citizen, you're not going to be able to get a visa which will enable you to work anywhere in the US.

People can offer you all the encouragement in the world and it's always great to have dreams but it's the reality that counts. If you've not yet done the basic research that's right here at your fingertips, then get to it. Cheers!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:51 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,783 times
Visa's are nearly impossible to get unless you already have a job lined up, are related to US citizens or going to be attending school in the US. You might be better off trying to get a Canadian visa first as they will grant them based on skill set & education. Once in Canada you can choose to live in Southern Ontario (Hamilton, St Catharines, Windsor, etc) which would give you easier access to jobs (and job interviews) in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration