Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,441 times

Advertisements

Hi, I came in with a student visa in January but never showed up in school for personal reasons but married a US citizen and I want to file for green card do I stand any risk of getting into trouble withUS immigration for not going to school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 06:24 AM

6 posts, read 5,420 times
Hi,
I have F1 Visa and currently, I am under OPT, which is about to expire. My husband is a permanet resident (greencard holder) and have filled for my green card. I am waiting the priority date to send the remain documentation.
My doubt is: as my OPT ends in 7 days, if I stay in the country waiting for the priority date, would I officially be illegal? Should I go to my country and wait for the priority date over there? Still, in 2 weeks my husband will apply for citzenship. What do you advice me to do? Can i have problem to come back to US or delay in my application? Thank you

Old 09-18-2014, 03:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,288 times
Hi, I am student living in the US as F-1 visa holder and married to a US citizen. I will like to change my status to green card holder, but dont know the best way to do it. Would it best for me to fill the form I-485 or my husband to fill the form I-130? Or should we do both?.

And can I go out of the country for three months while waiting for my green card to be delivered?

Old 09-07-2015, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 963 times
hello everyone!
My husband is graduated in Brazil (Physical education) and we are moving to the US (F1) to study physiotherapy (witch is "schedule A") does anybody knows if after graduating do we have go go back to our country to get a H1A visa? is it possible to change a type of visa while in the US?

Old 09-08-2015, 04:44 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Wow so many newbies on this forum asking questions. If you OPT is set to expire you have to leave unless you have a new visa status or are in adjust of status and otherwise you have to apply for a green card while you are in your own country and wait or jeopardize to get to be denied for overstaying.

I'm not a lawyer but not attending school and being on a F1 and not having school result to show will as I believe be a huge thing to overcome.

We came here legally and for every application the transcripts from school were required which is logical or at least proof of being in the school as a student.

It may come up for an interview or as request for evidence.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:51 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aline sanchez View Post
hello everyone!
My husband is graduated in Brazil (Physical education) and we are moving to the US (F1) to study physiotherapy (witch is "schedule A") does anybody knows if after graduating do we have go go back to our country to get a H1A visa? is it possible to change a type of visa while in the US?
He may be able to add OTP and secure a job with H1B sponsorship. But that is theory.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:41 PM

306 posts, read 451,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aline sanchez View Post
hello everyone!
after graduating do we have go go back to our country to get a H1A visa? is it possible to change a type of visa while in the US?
The way I am understanding her question is: assuming that after graduation he gets a job, and needs to change his status from F1 to H1, does he have to go back to his home country for that? Or is he allowed to change the status without leaving the US?

If this is the question, I think the answer is yes, he and his family can change the status while staying in the US, BUT the first time they leave the US, they must go to an American consulate (outside US) to get a new visa in order to be able to re-enter the US.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 742 times
Hello, i am an international student on an f1 visa. And my friend who's a US citizen is proposing to sponsor me. Is that a possibility? And what are the things she needs to do?

Old 03-14-2016, 05:42 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalty001 View Post
Hello, i am an international student on an f1 visa. And my friend who's a US citizen is proposing to sponsor me. Is that a possibility? And what are the things she needs to do?
Sponsor you for what? A friend cannot sponsor you for anything.

After you graduate, you can apply for OPT status to continue practical training in your profession. Your school can do this. You can investigate job opportunities, and if you can find a job that is willing to sponsor you, the company can file for a H-1 visa. However, there is an annual cap for these, they are running about 18 months ahead, and most go to tech jobs. Most people need to go back to their home country and wait for the H-1, because if they overstay their F-1 or OPT by even one day, they will be banned from the US for 10 years.

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 03-14-2016 at 06:35 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 611 times
hi my self raghu
at present i am in opt status.
one of my brother is having green card
can he sponsor me for green card
if yes how many days it take to get a green card
thankyou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration