Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:42 AM

37 posts, read 169,801 times

Advertisements

I have F1 visa (student visa)
if I find a job and they decided to sponsor me do I need to go out of the state to get the green card
I mean do I need to go back 2 my country and work with the embassy and wait until I get the green card? Or I can do it here in the state (i'm still student)

And do u think it's better to have an attorny for that or it's just a waste of money?

Thanx,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 01:41 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Go to the first "sticky" at the top of this forum page.

Too bad that you have an F1 visa and you don't know what it means but that's your bad. You should have known from the get-go what your F1 visa meant and what it entailed. Sorry not to be of more help but the link should help you sort it out.

Last edited by STT Resident; 11-04-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 10:19 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times
If you didn't get the OPT option on your student visa, then you will probably have to go back to your home country to wait for the H1-B visa. Check the details at USCIS Home Page

Old 11-07-2009, 08:59 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ming Ave View Post
if I find a job and they decided to sponsor me do I need to go out of the state to get the green card
I mean do I need to go back 2 my country and work with the embassy and wait until I get the green card? Or I can do it here in the state (i'm still student)

And do u think it's better to have an attorny for that or it's just a waste of money?

Thanx,
I don't think you can switch from F1 so easy to a GC, but have to get a H1B visa first...you better hire a lawyer...

Old 11-08-2009, 12:19 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,313 times
Quote:

Thanx,
You can't just go and get a job while in F-1 status, that's not exactly legal. If you've managed to do something sneaky and get a job under the wire, you can look forward to a USCIS-sponsored deportation party soon. If you have done something like this, you need an immigration lawyer RIGHT NOW.

If you've applied for OPT and you got a job offer, and then you apply for H-1B, and then you get on the path to a GC, then no, you don't have to leave the country to do any of that. If you have a job in the US it wouldn't make sense to just take an extended leave of absence. In cases like this you can get an immigration lawyer but a lot of people don't. If there's anything weird in your history - barred entry for a time, criminal conviction, being out of status in the past - hire a lawyer. You don't mention OPT or anything here though, so it's really hard to help you. Be clearer.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:13 AM

37 posts, read 169,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
You can't just go and get a job while in F-1 status, that's not exactly legal. If you've managed to do something sneaky and get a job under the wire, you can look forward to a USCIS-sponsored deportation party soon. If you have done something like this, you need an immigration lawyer RIGHT NOW.

If you've applied for OPT and you got a job offer, and then you apply for H-1B, and then you get on the path to a GC, then no, you don't have to leave the country to do any of that. If you have a job in the US it wouldn't make sense to just take an extended leave of absence. In cases like this you can get an immigration lawyer but a lot of people don't. If there's anything weird in your history - barred entry for a time, criminal conviction, being out of status in the past - hire a lawyer. You don't mention OPT or anything here though, so it's really hard to help you. Be clearer.

Actually I just got to the states for school and I'll be here for 5 years as international student with F1 visa

But I was just wondering if I get a job in 3 or 4 years do I have to leave the country to fix the papers? I will still be in school at that time!

and what is OPT?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Actually I just got to the states for school and I'll be here for 5 years as international student with F1 visa

But I was just wondering if I get a job in 3 or 4 years do I have to leave the country to fix the papers? I will still be in school at that time!

and what is OPT?
Getting a job or not is not the issue. a) F1 you can only if at all work limited hours on campus. b) H1B has to be sponsored by an employer, criterias such as job cannot be filled by someone legally able to work in the US, degree, ... apply. Do you think in three years you will fill such a position, have the required academic education AND finish the school you came to the US for? c) I have never heard of a transfer F1 to H1B; H1B employee has to be outside the US, be approved during April and start work in October.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:

and what is OPT?
You have to make sure you get approved to work, even on campus. If you don't get the offical approval you could later on be denied for having worked without approval...be careful with that.

With approval you can also get an internship

Old 11-09-2009, 11:21 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times
Quote:
and what is OPT?
A on-the-job training option, which allows you to work at a US company for 1 year following your graduation and the expiration of your F1 visa. You can convert from an OPT to a H1-b without leaving the country if your employer offers you a permanent position and is willing to go through the H1-b process.

You may or may not automatically have this option. Check your documentation and see. It is a very useful thing for anyone wanting to live and work in the US after graduation. I don't know if you can apply for it now.

You are more likely to be able to get an H1 working visa if you stay in school and get a Master's Degree. In boom years, the H1-b visas for B.S. graduates are all taken up on the first day and you will need to be lucky to get one. H-visas for MS degree workers are unlimited.

Good Luck.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM

52 posts, read 136,909 times
Most of the time, following are the regular steps you take before reaching green card from F1:

1. F1 (Student Visa)
2. OPT (Student on training. one year after graduation)
3. H1B (Work Visa, an employer sponsors this visa for you)
4. Green Card (Same employer sponsors this and may take few years)

Of course, green card can be achieved via other categories like family sponsorship etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration