Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 9,112 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I found out that I got selected for the green card lottery and I just submitted the form DS-260 to KCC and the next step is to contact USCIS.
Then I found out of the double intent thing with F1 visas and the lottery.
I've been in the US for more than 6 years (did my undergrad here and now doing grad school) and I am currently in the US.
I do not want to risk having trouble and having to drop out of grad school, does anyone know if moving forward with the process will affect me?
Could you please provide some reference to your answers so I can checked them out myself.

I'm excited, confused, scared, stressed. I don't know what to do!!!!
Please, I need some help.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
You may find this, which explains the process for those already living in the US on a non-immigrant visa, helpful:

Green Card Through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program | USCIS

Old 06-24-2014, 08:07 AM

282 posts, read 444,444 times
You might have a problem, but should be able to deal with it. The more steps you take to showing "immigrant intent", the more chance you have of being denied a new visa for that reason. You've been in the U.S. a while and taken steps toward a green card, which could lead to a conclusion of immigrant intent. Having submitted the DS-260, you might as well go all in now. File the adjustment of status. In the meantime, continue as a full-time student. The key is to keep from having the government look at your status, so there's no opportunity for them to decide that you are an "intending immigrant" until it's time to grant you the permanent residence. So don't leave the country or try to get a new visa. You can continue under duration of status as an F-1 as long as you stay in your current program.

Pay close attention to deadlines, because the system is unforgiving if you miss one.

And, understand that just getting selected doesn't guarantee you'll get all the way through. They select more in the lottery than they actually have to give out. Watch the Visa Bulletin (Visa Bulletin) at Section B to see where the current cut-off is (compare to the allocation number you were assigned). And, if you are in the DV-14 program, you MUST finish the process by Sept. 30, or you are out of luck.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 AM

119 posts, read 191,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying harder View Post
Pay close attention to deadlines, because the system is unforgiving if you miss one.

And, understand that just getting selected doesn't guarantee you'll get all the way through. They select more in the lottery than they actually have to give out. Watch the Visa Bulletin (Visa Bulletin) at Section B to see where the current cut-off is (compare to the allocation number you were assigned). And, if you are in the DV-14 program, you MUST finish the process by Sept. 30, or you are out of luck.
^^ This.

Deadlines are crucial here. Depending on your situation (and your DV lottery number) it might be better to go to your home country and apply for consular processing instead of doing status change. You will not be able to attend your school during this time though, because it is highly unlikely that you will be admitted to the US on non-immigrant (F1) visa after applying for immigrant status.

If you do status change in the US you should be fine as long as your F1 status stays valid and there is enough time to process your DV immigration paperwork. Just don't leave the country while your status change is pending as your may not be able to re-enter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration