Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 AM

12 posts, read 30,344 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I may be relocating to the San Antonio area for his new job and as his wife, is it true that the spouse cannot work?

How long is this for and can I apply for a work visa/permit etc

Any advice appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 04:07 AM

744 posts, read 1,209,616 times
I will try to look into that for you. I am pretty sure you would be able to get a work visa pretty quickly. What part of the UK are you moving in from? I have family in Luton and Manchester. What kind of job will you be looking to do?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:18 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
First, who told you that you could not work? Secondly, what kind of job/work are you looking to do? Lastly, do you plan to stay in the US permanently, or is this just temporary?

As far as I know, there is nothing preventing you from applying for a visa to do so; but there are restrictions and the best place to start researching it would be the US State Department web site for temporary workers:

US DoS Temporary Workers

In a nutshell, it states:

Quote:
If you want to work in the U.S. temporarily as a nonimmigrant, under U.S. immigration law, you need a specific visa, based on the type of work you will be doing. Most temporary worker categories require that the applicant's prospective employer or agent to file a petition which must be approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before you can apply for a visa.
More info can be found at the US Department of Homeland Security's Citizenship and Immigration Services web site:

USCIS - Temporary Workers

So while not easy, it is possible. Good luck!

Cheers! M2

Old 04-05-2010, 06:52 AM

420 posts, read 1,155,474 times
I think what you were told was true for the situation as it was when you asked.
You cannot work in the US under your husbands work permits.
You would require your own.
So if you are coming to be with him while he does his new job that does not automatically allow you to work. I think that was the idea that was trying to be told to you and it is correct.

Just do a little checking and try to get your own. But I think you need to do it before you leave the UK.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 AM

20 posts, read 63,146 times
DO NOT try to work if you don't have your own permit to work on the States. Yes, you can still apply if you are here. Don't put on hold your moving date because you want to have a permit to work and you have been told to apply from your Country, that is not correct.

If you are already in the process of moving you can apply once you are here as well.
Get the Form I-765 from the USCIS website.
You can go and take a look at it. Don't print it until you are sure you will send it within a week or so. Sometimes they change the forms from one day to another, even if it does not happen often, it does happen and you wanna send the most recent one.
You don't need a lawyer to do this, you can do it on your own.

There is a $340 dlls fee. You CAN"T send personal checks, has to be a money order.
Download the instruction for this form (I-765) and print them. You want to make sure you are doing this correctly.
Im sure you will not have any problems applying for your own permit. Good luck to you!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:07 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
It all depends on the huband's visa. So at this point we are guessing.

OP - what exact visa will your husband be using? A lot of expat contracts have the spouse's work permit processing built in as perk.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:14 AM

6 posts, read 11,426 times
Default UK moving

First, let me welcome you to San Anto as most people know it. We are not originally from San Antonio, we came from Los Angeles California approximately 3 years ago. As you can imagine it was a big change to us being from a big city to a smaller one. We lived on the south side for the first 2 years. If you're planning to be on the south side, stay south of Military Dr. North of Military is unrecomended. We now live outside the 1604 loop, where there are no shopping centers and most of the community are retired people. My kids attend a school in San Antonio (Brooks Acadamy Grades 6-12) which I thought would be a good school, don't recommend. The other good school which I do recommend is Carroll Bell (210)977-1430. Another thing, Military Dr. is a high traffic area.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:00 AM

12 posts, read 30,344 times
We live in the Midlands so not too close to Manchester!! I am trained as a secretary but also as a beauty therapist and care worker for the elderly, so have got a few options.... thanks for all your input you have all been very helpful. I will look into the websites you have suggested.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:25 AM

747 posts, read 2,758,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It all depends on the huband's visa. So at this point we are guessing.

OP - what exact visa will your husband be using? A lot of expat contracts have the spouse's work permit processing built in as perk.
OP, this is the first question you need to figure out

Old 04-07-2010, 12:52 AM

786 posts, read 2,761,655 times
Another vote for finding out what type of visa your husband will get.

From my own experience, spousal or dependent visas do not allow the person to work. The only exception I know of is the L2 visa which is a dependent visa for an international management transfer. If your husband is being transferred from the UK to the US within the same company, and is management, then he is probably getting an L1A or B visa and you would qualify for an L2 visa.

Just having the visa is not enough. If you do have an L2 visa, you would then apply for an employment authorization which should be fairly automatic.

If your husband is coming over on an H1 temporary worker visa, then your dependent visa will not allow employment. In fact, you will be denied a social security number since you are not allowed to work, and that will cause all sorts of identification problems as you navigate the various banking, driver's licence, health care and other systems. We went through this with our daughter because we did not know about the L2 exception. Wife and I both had L1's.

So, without delay, find out the type of visa your husband qualifies for, and if it is an L1, make sure the company offer includes you getting an L2 and they paying to process the employment authorization. The same goes for any children if you have any.

By the way, welcome to Texas. We're just up the road, southwest of Austin. San Antonio is a nice city with lots to do. We've been here for just over 18 months and love the place. Texas pride is infectious. So is Friday night high school football. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration