U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM
 
26,883 posts, read 42,324,962 times
Reputation: 15177

Advertisements

WELLS, Me. — It was an unusual sign, even for a restaurant here along the Maine coast, where seasonal home-grown businesses are a way of life.

“Closed. Gone to try and get a new visa,” read the hand-scrawled message taped inside the window of Laura’s Kitchen, a cozy eatery that specialized in corned beef hash and omelets and where the tiny tables were still set with brightly colored napkins. “Hope to see you in the spring. Dean & Laura.”

Maine Business Is Shut Without a Renewed Visa - NYTimes.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2010, 02:04 PM
 
178 posts, read 502,892 times
Reputation: 146
Dean and Laura are not legal aliens. Their request for a visa extension was denied after appeal. According to their own telling of the story, they simply went to Maine on vacation one year and thought it was lovely and decided to try to live there. They have no other ties to the U.S. Subsequently they were allowed to come to the U.S. on an E2 Visa which specifically states it is NOT a path to citizenship or permanent resident status - but that's precisely what they were hoping for when they came here on that type of visa.

You can feel sorry for them because they seem like hardworking people, but the fact is that they were not eligible for permanent resident status to begin with. They can feel as bitter as they want, but facts are facts.

P.S. they also claimed that an immigration lawyer gave them false hopes of staying in the U.S. indefinitely --- another reason to avoid immigration lawyers. Go straight to USCIS if you want accurate answers. (More than once if necessary!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Status: ".........." (set 28 days ago)
 
17,373 posts, read 2,640,853 times
Reputation: 29006
E2 requires application for renewal on a regular basis. When the requirements are not met it means no renewal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 03:42 PM
 
851 posts, read 3,411,571 times
Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac Farm View Post
Dean and Laura are not legal aliens. Their request for a visa extension was denied after appeal. According to their own telling of the story, they simply went to Maine on vacation one year and thought it was lovely and decided to try to live there. They have no other ties to the U.S. Subsequently they were allowed to come to the U.S. on an E2 Visa which specifically states it is NOT a path to citizenship or permanent resident status - but that's precisely what they were hoping for when they came here on that type of visa.

You can feel sorry for them because they seem like hardworking people, but the fact is that they were not eligible for permanent resident status to begin with. They can feel as bitter as they want, but facts are facts.

P.S. they also claimed that an immigration lawyer gave them false hopes of staying in the U.S. indefinitely --- another reason to avoid immigration lawyers. Go straight to USCIS if you want accurate answers. (More than once if necessary!)
The point is that people who try to follow the law get the boot while those who intentionally break the law get a free ride.

Dean and Laura are trying to follow the law.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
346 posts, read 413,548 times
Reputation: 163
Disgusting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 03:56 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 2,446,774 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
WELLS, Me. — It was an unusual sign, even for a restaurant here along the Maine coast, where seasonal home-grown businesses are a way of life.

“Closed. Gone to try and get a new visa,” read the hand-scrawled message taped inside the window of Laura’s Kitchen, a cozy eatery that specialized in corned beef hash and omelets and where the tiny tables were still set with brightly colored napkins. “Hope to see you in the spring. Dean & Laura.”

Maine Business Is Shut Without a Renewed Visa - NYTimes.com
Oh, but how can this be?? After all, only "people of color" are discriminated against in these types of disputes over citizenship...Right?! This can't be??? These are white people from England? Right? you know, from the country that established the United States in the first place.

Isn't enforcing current immigration laws based on racism??? That only people of color have to deal with being deported? ICE just looks the other way when its white people, right ??? Hmm...maybe someone should consider seeing to it this article is published in a Phoenix,AZ newspaper...

But, then again, people will believe what they want to believe, regardless....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 04:05 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 2,446,774 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
The point is that people who try to follow the law get the boot while those who intentionally break the law get a free ride.

Dean and Laura are trying to follow the law.
But it doesn't work that way. People just can't come here from anywhere and decide, "Hey, I'm going to stay, and that's that! There are rules to be followed. Unfortunately, the U.S. is a place where people more often than not, don't come here for "vacation". They come here to stay, often sight unseen....without even knowing what to expect when they arrive here.

Regardless, of what people want to believe, the U.S. has one of the most relaxed immigration systems in the world, --in spite of a very bad economy, a terrible recession, at a time when even its own citizens are unable to find jobs, we still allow people with no education, and very little if anything to offer to come in. Often, these people speak no English, are in need of considerable health care. Although, people from a country like England, don't have any language barrier, and often are very educated, sometimes with skills that are very useful, we must treat everyone as equal. As ridiculous as it seems, The National Origins Act was dismantled by Lyndon Johnson which gave people from England preferential treatment over, lets say, people from a place such as Guatamala.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,613 posts, read 11,951,949 times
Reputation: 3107
Also, as I've expressed on another thread regarding this particular situation, the E2 is an INVESTMENT visa - a mom and pop cafe is not what these visas are meant for. It's hardly the SUBSTANTIAL investment as cited on the USCIS site for this type of visa, so it's not surprising they have been denied further renewals.

They're not here illegally, but they are also NOT on an immigrant visa or one that leads to same and I'm as tired of these sob stories as I am of the ones regarding the "honest, hard working illegals".

They're adults and know what they were doing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM
 
26,883 posts, read 42,324,962 times
Reputation: 15177
Law is law! If the people didn't have the requirements under the E2 visa law, then they can't stay here...I totally agree.

If people enter illegally they are criminals and should NOT get a path to obtain a greencard!

That is my point!

How can it be fair that a legal alien who is working to pay for their bills, pay taxes, has gotten a background check and is tributing to the economy by paying property taxes, buying cars, food, clothes, etc...has less rights then a illegal who now has a chance to get a greencard if it is up to this government and when you hear the Dem. talking in Washington.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 PM
 
178 posts, read 502,892 times
Reputation: 146
Right, law is law. Meaning that E2 visa holders should leave without squawking when they no longer meet the requirements, AND that illegal aliens should be deported without delay or appeal.

It's not a political stand. It's the law. We should be clamoring (harder) for enforcement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top