U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:41 PM

448 posts, read 485,953 times

Advertisements

I live in Philly and I'm buying a dog. A few people I know have bought their dogs from this place called Jacks dog farm. Up near Allentown (I think). Just wanted to know if anyone from around there has heard anything about it. I'm getting mixed reviews on the place. Some says it's a great place and that they're happy with their dogs. But others really think the place is more like a puppy mill and the owners are a**es. If you have any info on the place or if you've bought a dog from here, lemme know.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 07:13 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,517,912 times
Is this the place? Jacks Dog Farm It does seem weird that they offer so many different kinds of dogs. I thought most good breeders just raise one type. I've never heard of it. Looks like it's over in Bucks county by Lake Nockamixon.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:01 PM

132 posts, read 322,519 times
Default Adopt from a shelter

Please consider adopting a dog from a shelter. There have been so many more abandoned recently with people "not being able to afford them anymore" that you can practically pick whatever breed you want. You can even search online for certain breeds and there are rescues set up for certain kinds of dogs like shepherds, greyhounds, etc. You will be saving a life, and if everyone would do the same, it would put these backyard breeders out of business.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,538,128 times
You can search by breed here:
Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder

Old 06-11-2010, 09:24 AM

2,916 posts, read 4,821,864 times
Wow...Jack's Dog Farm is still around? I remember going there with my family "back in the day" when Sunday drives were a pretty common activity. I think we even got a dog there once...just a mutt, nuttin' fancy.

I would echo what NoMoss posted. PLEASE consider getting a dog from a shelter. You would sit down and cry if you knew the percentage of shelter animals that are euthanized every year, instead of being adopted. If you really, really, really must have a particular breed, consider contacting a rescue group for that breed. You can find them online via Google.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:54 AM

208 posts, read 587,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
I live in Philly and I'm buying a dog. A few people I know have bought their dogs from this place called Jacks dog farm. Up near Allentown (I think). Just wanted to know if anyone from around there has heard anything about it. I'm getting mixed reviews on the place. Some says it's a great place and that they're happy with their dogs. But others really think the place is more like a puppy mill and the owners are a**es. If you have any info on the place or if you've bought a dog from here, lemme know.

Thanks.
Personally, I would NEVER buy from Jack's Dog Farm. It has had much negative publicity over many years and I have come across quite a few people who had problems with dogs from there. It appears to be nothing more than a fast-food dog store. The people that have been happy with their dogs have been the lucky ones.

I would recommend adopting a shelter dog or if you prefer a specific breed, look into a rescue. You can also go to the AKC site and get a list of breeders for specific breeds.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:45 AM

53 posts, read 79,690 times
Default Where do all those puppies come from?

Do they breed them there?
Are the parents of the pups on site?

When in doubt, they must be Amish..

PLEASE!

All breed rescues have purebreds available.
Very often they will have pups, although you may have to wait.
If you PM me with the breed you have in mind I will send you a list of the nearest breed rescues..

Old 06-12-2010, 06:32 PM

448 posts, read 485,953 times
Well for all the shelter people who are posting. I am looking at shelters too. It's just the process of shelters around me is far more in depth than just going to jacks and being able to purchase one right then and there. With the shelters around me, you have to fill out applications, have your house inspected, and a bunch of other stuff too. But believe me I am also looking at shelters.

Also I'm only looking for Labs. (Black to be specific.) And there really isn't any in any of the shelters around me. But there actually is one that just was brought into a shelter today. But it's 10 years old, which is pretty damn old for a dog. But I still am going to look at it.

As far as I know...
1. They don't breed the pups there
2. The parents are not on site and you can't get info on them

Overall, I would rather get a puppy from a Shelter than Jack's.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 7,659 times
Jack's dog farm is terrible! Most of the puppies come from the mid-west, and are straight puppy millers. I work at a vet, and we treated a Boston Terrier puppy from Jack's At the age of only 4 months, she passed away due to having Parvo and server swelling around her brain. It was a terrible situation. She was bred so poorly - her front paws were broken at birth, and never formed correctly. The 'vet' that signed the health certificate was found to not even have an active license. Jack's would not even talk to the owner of the puppy - it was truly terrible. The prices are CRAZY as well! A great lab rescue is Brookline ([url=http://www.brooklinelabrescue.org/]Brookline Labrador Retriever Rescue Home[/url]). You may want to check them out as well.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 18,891 times
It's a mill ,I would ask the SPCA in Allentown about the place. If you want a dog just go to the SPCA they are up to date on shots and spayed or neutered. What more can you ask for, in the long run it's cheaper to get one their.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley