Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 PM

86 posts, read 192,326 times

Advertisements

It seems there are so many people that have relocated to PA ~ Lehigh Valley area and the Pocono area both. From what I am told, NY and NJ seem to offer such an array of things, good food, style, good paying jobs, opportunities, lots of things to do and see, I can go on and on as I hear very often how great NY and NJ is from people that left both states. I am just curious to see what is the NUMBER 1 reason for leaving NJ or NY is. Remember the #1 Reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 05:10 AM

923 posts, read 1,429,627 times
1. Taxes
2. Commute
3. Being hit with a radar gun every 100 yards

Old 06-22-2009, 09:35 AM

518 posts, read 1,792,100 times
Haven't left NJ yet but when I do and if I do it will be to cash out on my home and live still close to family in an area with good schools and pretty scenery. Good food and entertainment (going to sports games and NY theaters) are not in my budget anymore and not worth the money in my opinion.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:09 PM

102 posts, read 453,662 times
Overcrowding of NJ, and everything that comes with it.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 AM

86 posts, read 192,326 times
Good info, keep the reasons coming. And for those of you that have not moved yet ~ ask away, I know the Valley and the Pocono area, as well as some surrounding areas. Plus there are many people on here that will help you out.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:37 PM

531 posts, read 2,149,972 times
If I move to the LV, it'll be so I can get the space I need at a price I can afford.

That said, I'd much rather get a huge raise. I know that's unlikely.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:28 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,633 times
I'm thinking of moving up that way to retire. I have been living in Asheville NC for 13 years, but a originally from NJ, and left there in 1974 at age 20 (& moved around the country a lot for the next several years). Reasons:
-I'd like to be not to far from NYC for occasional trips.
-I still have family/friends up near Binghamton NY.
-House prices in NJ/NY nearer to NYC are generally in excess of $400,000 and taxes in excess of $6000 a year, and I will have no pension or significant retirement savings.
- The place I have here is on a beautiful mountainside, 5 bedrooms, 1/2 acre, only about $500 a year in taxes, but I probably will only get $200,000 for it.
- Looking at real estate in the LV, I see a lot of homes in the 100-150 range, so that would be affordable, and taxes hopefully under $3000, and I can use the balance from what I sell this place for to get be for a while, not possible elsewhere. It can be older, smaller, I'm not that fussy.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:58 PM

79 posts, read 295,676 times
I moved from Long Island, NY because it's TOO EXPENSIVE! After spending my entire life there up until last year I realized that I was paying so much to live there and not getting too much out of it. Leaving NY has allowed to me to have more money to actually enjoy life..

Old 09-06-2009, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 16,337 times
We are thinking of moving from the Hudson Valley, NY to Wellsboro, Pa. From what I see looking at homes there are minerals and oil on the properties and the homeowners want to retain ownership of these materials. Can you educate me on the status of oil in this area? Is it worth moving there? Thanks!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:56 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,269 times
I came to PA for my first job out of college. I had two offers, one in PA (not exactly in the Lehigh Valley but a 30 minute commute) and the other in Essex county, NJ. Pay was maybe 10% higher in NJ. But if I took the NJ job, I'd be living in a craphole apartment or with roommates, vs. in PA I could buy my own house. So I took the PA job and never regretted it.

My parents are considering moving to PA for their retirement. They are tired of these things about NJ, among others:
1. Paying $10,000 a year in taxes for a very modest house, yet no public water/sewer/streetlights/sidewalks, and mediocre snowplowing.
2. Manhattan transplants moving into the neighborhood and looking down on those who drive American cars, mow their own lawn, and don't make $400,000 a year.
3. The overabundance of law enforcement/cops pulling people over every quarter mile for silly stuff. My dad has been pulled 3 times in the last year for suspicion of DUI, and the man hasn't had a drink in 30 years. My mom got pulled over for doing 37 in a 35 zone a quarter mile from their house. The local police are very aggressive and unfriendly to the citizens.
4. High costs of car insurance, groceries, and utilities.
5. After living there for 50+ years they are slowing down and tired of the aggressive "Jersey attitude."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley